Photo

Dol Guldur Faction Plan [WIP]

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mathijs

Mathijs

You ever heard the story about the scorpion and the frog?

• Division Leaders
  • 13,574 posts
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Leader

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

Dol Guldur Faction Plan

Basic gameplay premise:

Most Dol Guldur units suffer from a basic, constant damage over time effect due to the Necromancer’s magic draining them and their surroundings. To counter this, each Dol Guldur structure has a leadership – ‘Dark Presence’ – that heals and buffs Dol Guldur units. This results in a need to constantly and aggressively expand across the map, turning forward base-building into a core mechanic. To aid with this, builders are cheaper and more disposable. Another core mechanic is the use of various sources of necromancy to create Risen Dead – the only unit immune to the Necromancer’s draining magic – and to turn your enemies into Wraiths under your control. Spread the corruption. 

Heroes

Thrain the Broken – 300

'The once proud son of Thrór was captured near the Eaves of Mirkwood while on his quest to reclaim the riches of Erebor,

taken to the dungeons of Dol Guldur, and tortured for long decades until he finally broke.'

Rank 1: 

Krimpûl the Torturer – 1400

'An orc of exceptional cruelty, Krimpûl rose ruthlessly through the ranks of Dol Guldur's Orc-garrison,

until his Lieutenant finally took notice and put him to work in a place where his talents could come to full fruition.'

Rank 1: Master's Command

Krimpûl has been tasked with retrieving the Rings of Power. Deals +33% additional damage versus Gandalf the White, Elrond, Galadriel, and Thorin Oakenshield.

At rank 3, his strikes also lower the armor of enemies within a small radius by 5% up to a maximum of 25%.
Rank 5: Imprison

Krimpûl cripples an enemy hero. Causes surrounding enemy units to cower in fear.

Rank 7: Dungeon Master

Summons a small Gaol that casts Dark Presence and may recruit Broken Rabble.

Queen Saenathra – 2000

'Shelob's greatest daughter, Queen Saenathra tried to supplant the great matron within her lair - but failed and was cast out.

Now she dwells in Southern Mirkwood, where she rules over her own vile brood.'

Rank 1: Burrow

Queen Saenathra can quickly move underground.

Rank 3: Feast, My Children!
Spawns a large horde of tiny spiders that slow down and deal damage over time to enemy units. Cannot be targeted, last a short time.

Rank 7: Web of Lies

Targeted enemy units become hostile to one another.

Khamul, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur – 2500

Same as in Mordor, but Storm of the East becomes:

Rank 5: The Black Easterling

Summons two hordes of rank 2 Easterling Swordsmen.

The Necromancer – 3500

Becomes Ring Hero once the Ring is collected and given to him.

Starts at rank 5

Rank 1: Lord of Wolves

Summons a large, black Warg. A maximum of three may be out at any time.

Rank 3: The Abhorred Dread

The Necromancer casts a necromantic spell on enemies within the radius, dealing heavy damage and resurrecting the dead as Risen Dead under the player’s control. This spell has a relatively short cooldown and is the Necromancer’s main source of danger.

Rank 5: Shapeless Malice

The Necromancer becomes incorporeal, allowing him to move quickly across the map while terrifying nearby enemy units. Shapeless Malice does not allow him to attack (this is basically a mount).

Rank 8: Wreathed in Flame

The Necromancer erupts in flame, blasting back enemies and setting the surrounding area on fire.

The Necromancer - Ring Hero

Visual cue: the Necromancer is wearing parts of Sauron's Prologue armor.

The Necromancer deals strong splash damage as his basic attack, and can attack from great range.

Rank 1: Master of the Nine
Summons a Ringwraith. A maximum of three may be out at any time.

Rank 3: The Abhorred Dread
Same as before, but with a larger radius.

Rank 5: Shapeless Malice

Same as before.

Rank 8: Wreathed in Flame
Same as before, but with a shorter cooldown.

Ringwraith - summoned by the Necromancer

Rank 1: 

Structures

Fortress – 4000

Upgrades

Swarm of Bats – 300

Vanilla.

Pale Torches – 600

Fire arrows from fortress

Blight – 800

Enemy units surrounding the fortress take damage and turn into Wraiths upon dying. Prerequisite to Hill of Sorcery.

Guldur Palantir - 600

Can be cast to reveal part of the map. Enemy units caught in the radius take minor damage over time.

Hill of Sorcery – 1500

Castable, destructive spell that sunders the earth beneath the enemy and causes it to erupt in pale flame.

Expansions

Orc Barricade – 150

Arrow tower.

Boneyard – 300

Spawns Risen Dead that attack nearby enemies.

Orc Catapult – 600

Catapult expansion.

Slave Mill – 300

Basic resource structure. May use Refresh Slaves, which temporarily disables the Mill but spawns a horde of Broken Rabble.

Lumbermill – 350

Vanilla, with new worker models based on Broken Rabble.

Guldur Gaol - 350

Rank 1: Dark Presence

Empowers nearby Dol Guldur units.

Rank 1: Broken Rabble - 100

Horde consisting of tortured and enslaved Elves, Woodsmen, and Dwarves. At rank 3, Broken Rabble gains Eternal Servitude, which causes each killed unit to be reanimated as Risen Dead. Risen Dead do not suffer from the Necromancer’s corruption.

Rank 2: Orc Hunters - 300

Orcish archers that may stealth near trees.

Rank 2: Orc Gaolers - 250

Orc spearmen that may stealth near trees.

Rank 3: Orc Ravagers - 600

Heavily armored Orcs carrying blacksteel axes. Siege unit.

Rank 3: Flaming Arrows - 1500

Vanilla.

Spider Lair – 600

Rank 1: Great Spiders - 600

A small horde of Great Spiders. At rank 2, gain Venom Sacs, allowing them to deal poison damage. May trample enemy units.

Rank 2: Spider-riders - 800

You know what these are. Toggle at rank 2.

Ruinous Tower – 150

Basic defense structure. Weak and cheap, spammable. Stealthed near trees.

Tower of Sorcery – 600

Upgradeable structure that can be used both offensively and defensively.

Rank 1: Blight – 600

Small radius around the Tower is constantly blighted.

Rank 2: Necromancy – 800

Upgrade. Orc Hunters and Gaolers may be ‘upgraded’ to be turned into Risen Dead. Risen Dead are fast-moving shock troops. Risen Dead do not suffer from the Necromancer’s Corruption.

Rank 2: Greater Blight - 1200

Blight radius is greatly increased.

Rank 3: Armored Castellan - 1800

Recruits an Armored Castellan. Hero unit. Limited to three.

Rank 1: Castellan of Guldur

Provides armor to nearby structures.

Decreases armor of nearby enemy structures.

Rank 3: Incorporeal

The Armored Castellan becomes immune to damage but cannot move or attack.

Rank 5: Necromantic Blast

Enemy units are blasted back and take damage – if killed, they become wraiths.

Spellbook

Wither – 5pp

Disables and damages targeted resource structure.

Tainted Land – 5pp

Vanilla.

Chill of the Grave – 5pp

Enemy units are slowed.

Devastation – 10pp

Vanilla.

Black Shroud – 10pp

Vanilla Elven Mist

Ensnare – 10pp

Temporarily take control of enemy units within the radius.

Summon Black Wargs – 10pp

Summons three hordes of Black Wargs

Darkness – 15pp

Vanilla.

Undead Monstrosity – 15pp

Summons an armored, undead Troll.

??? – 15pp

???

Gift of the Necromancer – 25pp

Summons a controllable, swirling green mist. All units, friend and foe, take damage and are turned into Wraiths upon death. 

Summon Gwanthaur – 25pp

Summons the Gwanthaur, a corrupted, ancient spirit of the forest. Broken, bony antlers on a horrifying head, long-reaching limbs and a bent back upon which grow many mushrooms and strange trees.

“The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail.” ~ Yukio Mishima, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,461 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

This is a power that I'd like to see, I was thinking of a Dol Guldur campaign mission, but depending on how powerful it could become it might fit your missing 15pp spell.

Spell of Concealment

Cast on Dol Guldur building, allies around the building are now cloaked when still.

I like this spell because it creates a lovely conundrum for a besieging enemy - there could be a large army hidden around a forward tower or perhaps a secret defender at a lonely Mill.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Kaieman

Kaieman
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

First of all i want to say the plan is really sick, Dol Guldur = pure evil.

Second i have some suggestions for Thrains abilities. I would give him a backstab power kinda like Wormtongue but without the poison effect. For another one i would give him a sneak/stealth ability, (passive or active) since he attacked Gandalf from above and then concealed himself, actually sneaked upon him.

Maybe for a third one a kind of madness power, which give him briefly an attack boost.

Don't know what you think of the suggestions, i based his abilities on his little skirmish with Gandalf in Dol Guldur.

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

• Division Leaders
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

@Matt

There's Black Shroud already in the spellbook, which does essentially the same (if we could make it affect buildings) - I could rename that to Spell of Concealment.

@Kaieman

Yeah, he'd get abilities similar to those. I just haven't hashed out any details on them to make them 'original'.

“The special quality of hell is to see everything clearly down to the last detail.” ~ Yukio Mishima, The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

#5 Kaieman

Kaieman
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

@Matt
There's Black Shroud already in the spellbook, which does essentially the same (if we could make it affect buildings) - I could rename that to Spell of Concealment.

@Kaieman
Yeah, he'd get abilities similar to those. I just haven't hashed out any details on them to make them 'original'.

Okay cool.
I just thought of a name for Krimpul last ability: keeper of the dungeons. But what it should do i don't know, a massive debuff/buff, a summoning or experience gain. Probably you wan't something more unique.

#6 Ectheldir

Ectheldir
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:49 PM

This is amazing! Truly!

I didn't expect any further factions, but this Dol Guldur plan actually exceeds anything I could have imagined. The general themes of draining your own minions for power, corrupting and turning everyone into wraith just seem really fitting and presents the evil that lurks in southern Mirkwood really well. Also: Spider-riders! Move those legs! Yay!

I also really like your choices of heroes. Yet, I have a question there: In what form will the ring-necromancers Ringwraiths appear? Will they be fully clad in black like in  LotR or will they appear in their ghostly form as shown in Dol Guldur in the Hobbit movies?

Additionally, just know that I'm really exited that we might actually see this kind of Dol Guldur in AotR somewhen in the future. Alas, as this is the last faction, I realise this might still take some time, but I trust that you will indeed bring these concepts to their fullest.

#7 Sharkey

Sharkey
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

This is a great idea for a faction with a unique theme; it allows for good coverage of the 'Necromancer' side of Sauron, while the Mordor faction covers his 'fire and fury' side.

I like the idea of having more individual ring heroes - the Necromancer here, Saruman the Many-Coloured for Isengard, and of course we already have Smaug - which distinguishes each faction further.

This is perhaps an outlandish thought, but is there any way of including vampires or werewolves here to go with the general 'undead' theme of this faction? We know Sauron was partial to turning into a vampire from time to time (while he was still able to do so) and dribbling blood all over the carpet when the mood took him. The challenge would be making the design fit in with the rest of this established world (and Tolkien said so little about his vampires, other than that they could fly, and presumably drank blood, so they wouldn't even need to be humanoid). I say outlandish because there is no mention of vampires or werewolves in this era of Middle Earth (as far as I know), and such units may well seem out of place.

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

• Division Leaders
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

I follow the theory of vampires and werewolves still existing (Gandalf references the latter in the late Third Age) but being greatly diminished both in number and size/power. To that end, I view the Giant Bats in Misty Mountains to be whatever is left over of the vampires of the First Age (they have a Vampirism skill) and Wargs (Black Wargs in Dol Guldur especially) to be what's left of werewolves.

So they're there, certainly in spirit.

#9 saruman_the_wise

saruman_the_wise

SarumanTheWise

• Project Team
  • 281 posts
  • Projects:Proud Beta/Alpha-tester of SaF and AotR

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thrain the Broken – 300

Animation set: Gollom

Rank 1: Fervent Stalking 

For a limited duration, Thrain becomes stealth while moving and gains a large increase in movement speed

Rank 3: Pounce 

Thrain pounces on the target enemy unit dealing moderate damage and briefly stunning it 

Rank 5: Rabble Rouser

Nearby Broken Rabble gain +60% damage and +15% speed but have their armor reduced by -33% for a limited time.

Just some thoughts.

#10 Thranduil_King

Thranduil_King
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

Waoo i'm really excited for this faction also, i have not been expect more factions, in fact i prefer Dol Guldur than Mordor. As always i have some questions and ideas...

1) One idea, would be... if Dol Guldur will be a faction, i think will be better then leave the orcs as you said in misty mountains "Gundabad orcs" here in this faction, and instead leave the real "gundabad orcs" in this faction... I Mean... look at this differents orcs

* Dol Guldur Orcs:

* Gundabad Orcs:

i have a book "The Battle of the Five Armies - The art of war" if you want a photo with better resolution.
As you can see, "in movies" they were the fifth army, so, you can put this new orcs as the real Gundabad Orcs and the others only move to this new faction. Because in movie Sauron said "You command my army"; Gundabad orcs look better in extended edition, different helmet and weapons and also they're cool. Andddd... you have a new orc version

2) Another question and idea would be "the nazguls", i would be cool if you put the nazguls like the hobbit movies?, that's will be a good adition and desing.

3) I think would be better to leave Sauron as Hero Ring as Mordor, because he only need his ring for be again corporeal. In my opinion of course. But if you put Smaug as Hero Ring in misty mountains i think is ok.

4) Thrain and Krimpûl the Torture as the movies of course also.

As always just my opinions and ideas, i like this mod and this new faction will be cool also.

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

• Division Leaders
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

I appreciate the effort put into this post, but I must tell you that we will not be using Hobbit designs for the Dol Guldur orcs, nor for the Nazgul. I'm tired of copying other people's designs and would rather design them myself. My Dol Guldur orcs will not look like heavily armored Uruk-hai, but like thin, ghastly scavengers under the corrupting influence of the Necromancer, wearing bone and hide armor and carrying bone weapons.

I might make an exception for Krimpûl - the original Bolg design from The Hobbit was neat and there's a lot of concept art of the creation process available, so he might get based on those.

As to the book, I have it too.  ;)

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,461 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Dol Guldur has a long history and was destroyed a number of times. I guess that the orcs that occupied it after the events of The Hobbit are different.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#13 Thranduil_King

Thranduil_King
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

I appreciate the effort put into this post, but I must tell you that we will not be using Hobbit designs for the Dol Guldur orcs, nor for the Nazgul. I'm tired of copying other people's designs and would rather design them myself. My Dol Guldur orcs will not look like heavily armored Uruk-hai, but like thin, ghastly scavengers under the corrupting influence of the Necromancer, wearing bone and hide armor and carrying bone weapons.

I might make an exception for Krimpûl - the original Bolg design from The Hobbit was neat and there's a lot of concept art of the creation process available, so he might get based on those.

As to the book, I have it too.  ;)

Ok no problem, understand and thanks for reply me. I just want to say ideas if i have, personally i like gundabad orcs design also, that's it. However, it will have been a long time to see this new faction, some things could be change, but i will be so happy and excited to see all factions complete.

Thanks, have a good day!

#14 OneofNine

OneofNine
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:26 AM

Greetings,

I like many of the ideas in the plans, in fact Dol Guldur is one of my favorite evil forces thematically, more than Mordor itself.

Are there plans to include a hero unit of "Castellans of Dol Guldur" that you can recruit only a number of times? I think they fit greatly the decay and tortured spirits esthetic of this faction 

"Nameless and with no will of their own, the Castellans of Dol Guldur are but one facet of that cursed tower's sleepless malice. Formless, save for the armour that binds them, they stalk the paths about Dol Guldur, slaying those they find." -From games Workshop site

http://i42.tinypic.com/vfavli.jpg

https://botwt.files..../castellans.jpg

Regarding the Vampires and Werewolves discussion, i agree with the thought that the Bats and Wargs are the descendants of these ancient races.

Maybe as a hero, or as a final tier Spellbook Power similar to the summoning of Balrog what would you think of Gûlavhar? He is supposed to be an ally of Angmar but since it doesn't exist anymore he could have found refugee in the dark of the abandoned fortress of Dol Guldur drawn there by the evil of the Necromancer.

https://www.games-wo...fArnorNEW01.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to share you plans and engage with the community, this is a very promising mod and i eagerly await your future updates!

#15 Mathijs

Mathijs

• Division Leaders
  • 13,574 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Hey - the Castellans are already in the plan as hero units! 

Rank 3: Armored Castellan - 1800

Recruits an Armored Castellan. Hero unit. Limited to three.

Rank 1: Castellan of Guldur

Provides armor to nearby structures.

Decreases armor of nearby enemy structures.

Rank 3: Incorporeal

The Armored Castellan becomes immune to damage but cannot move or attack.

Rank 5: Necromantic Blast

Enemy units are blasted back and take damage – if killed, they become wraiths.

As to Gûlavhar - that's a no from me. I've always loved its design but I prefer my original creature, the Gwanthaur.

#16 kingsjewel

kingsjewel
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Cool :thumbsuphappy:

#17 OneofNine

OneofNine
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

Great, i don't know how i missed the Castellan name entry on the top, i was used to read their name as "Castellan of Dol Guldur" and probably misread the "Armored Castellan"

The Gwanthaur sounds like an interesting concept, its description reminds me of something like the Incarnate Elemental of Beasts from warhammer https://vignette.wik...=20170722102504 but with fungus and vegetation on it's back.

Not sure how you will implement it into the lore of Dol Guldur as there are no living Ents in Mirkwood or other gigantic creatures that could be corrupted but certainly looking forward to it since poor Gulavhar doesn't get a pass.

I bet if your team ever decided to include a playable Angmar that it would be epic as well!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users