Photo

Map transfer failed - corrupted map file?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jokuc

Jokuc

Hardcore Procrastinator

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

Hey, I've been working on this normal 1v1 map which I recently finished, but for some reason when I try to send it to people, I freeze at the loading screen and they tell me they get an error saying the map transfer failed. Then I have to restart my game. This does not happen with all custom maps and it's only a problem with this one I made. I don't have a map.ini in the folder and there are no scripts for the map, it's just your standard map. If we both restart the game after the failed transfer we can then play the map as normal. Same thing if they just install the map manually instead of having it transferred.

Does anyone have an idea why this happens? Obviously there's something fishy going on with the map, I'm worried it might be corrupt or something but I have no idea why it would be as I haven't done anything special with it. I play on bfme2 1.09 but I don't think that has anything to do with it as I've never had this problem before.

Edit: It seems the transfer freezes every time I send the map.str file, but it's not corrupt because I tried making a new one and it still doesn't work. How come the str can cause such a problem...? I haven't done anything special with it and I always make str files for my maps.

Edited by Jokuc, 27 June 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#2 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

I've had a similar issue once upon a time, i was making this map (http://bfme2.heaveng...php?fileid=1121) and it had no ini or str at that time, but it kept crashing me the game (the nasty game.dat stuff). To this day I have no idea what exactly was causing it, but i recall it started working after I removed some neutral cosmetic animals. However, until i got there, i started exporting pieces of the map to a new one so i can debug and see where it starts crashing... i started with terrain/texture, then trees, then shrubs, then other objects. I noticed it started crashing after adding the other objects, so i tried to delete some objects in there. In the end it worked. So that's my advice, export terrain/texture, test, then trees, test, shrubs, test, etc

2qm3dd5.jpg

#3 Jokuc

Jokuc

Hardcore Procrastinator

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

i was making this map, it kept crashing me the game. To this day I have no idea what exactly was causing it, but i recall it started working after I removed some neutral cosmetic animals. 

That actually might be it! Animals and animal wander points. I remember right when I was working on another map many years ago, I added a couple of animals just for fun, and the game kept crashing after the loading screen. I simply couldn't figure out what the problem was, but after I went back to my back-up file, it worked. The only change I had made was adding some fish and a deer. I will try removing the animals and see if I'm still getting the error.

Edited by Jokuc, 29 June 2018 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users