Photo

Is it possible to give voice units the radio effect like in the vanilla game?

Best Answer JustJoking, 24 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

i'm back and i think this is the closer i can get to acomplishing the radio effect

i tried to do it on multiple kinds of voices, quiet ones like charon, heavy accent like amc, normal ones like cavailler and blizzard, and...odd ones, like tyrant and kappa.

ofc i can make them louder , without having that earrape problem.

so what do you guys think? 

how do i even tag people here

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Give a listen to this:

The voice lines have that effect that makes them sound like they're heard from radio.

Now give a listen to this, especially the Abrams:

The voice acting is great, but it doesn't have that radio effect. Then you have the Oxidizer, which, oddly enough, HAS the radio effect. Listen closely. I don't know how to put it in words....you have to listen. The same applies to Norio.

Is it possible to do the same for ALL the voice acting in the mod? I'm no sound expert, but i'm sure someone can edit the voice lines to have that effect. The problem is : can it be implemented? I'd try it myself, but I understand it's very hard to get the assets of this mod.

#2 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

I do feel like it's a bit jarring when some units lack radio effect. Very noticeable in Aeroblaze, Abrams, Libra (though... she's a psychic and her voice is echo-y, so is that excusable?) and majority of Epsilon units.

Slightly related, I also notice that Foehn units have some form of flanged effect on their voice. Was that intentional as their 'radio effect' equivalent? But then there's things like Buzzard, Huntress and Leviathan (which is understandable considering they're from other CnC games)

Edited by Handepsilon, 20 August 2018 - 10:28 AM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#3 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

I messed around a bit and tried to copy the effect. Here is the result.

I could do this for all the voices, but i first i need to talk to speeder, if he wants this. how can i contact him? 

#4 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:53 PM

PM his account here probably

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#5 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:19 PM

I could do this for all the voices, but i first i need to talk to speeder, if he wants this. how can i contact him? 

Hmm, from listening to this i noticed that it improves certain "worse" or "weaker" voices in the mod like the Catastrophe tank or Charon but it ruins the good one's slightly (Like Battle Tortoise) but this might be just me.

But it surely fits the game.

#6 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:10 AM

I like Cavalier modification especially, the rest is less noticeable, but it's there

Edited by Handepsilon, 23 August 2018 - 12:12 AM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

#7 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:51 AM

hm yeah I like cavallier the most as well. And yeah, maybe some of them are better off without the effect. I could make the effect more noticeable for some of the voices, but that would require some extra work. I don't mind it tho. When I come home from work, I'll try again and post here.

#8 J00B

J00B
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:56 AM

Sounds very cool and it's a great idea.

Is this the same effect with the same parameters applied for each voice line? It seems from the video different units will require more specific tweaks to make them sound consistent. You'd need to obtain the raw audio files (if Speeder likes the idea) that haven't been compressed, apply the effects, then compress them. I'd imagine this would preserve the sound quality better.

Edited by J00B, 23 August 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#9 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

Sounds very cool and it's a great idea.

Is this the same effect with the same parameters applied for each voice line? It seems from the video different units will require more specific tweaks to make them sound consistent. You'd need to obtain the raw audio files (if Speeder likes the idea) that haven't been compressed, apply the effects, then compress them. I'd imagine this would preserve the sound quality better.

exactly. Firstly I need speeder's approval (the video is not the final result, when I go home I will try again and post a final version, and see if he likes it) Yep, it's the same effect applied for all voices, but I realize from the feedback that some voices need different tweaks. I'll work on that. I'll try to work with a multitude of voice types, loud and quiet ones (except for heroes) If speeder aproves, and gives me the voicefiles, it will be done until 3.3.5

#10 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:19 AM   Best Answer

i'm back and i think this is the closer i can get to acomplishing the radio effect

i tried to do it on multiple kinds of voices, quiet ones like charon, heavy accent like amc, normal ones like cavailler and blizzard, and...odd ones, like tyrant and kappa.

ofc i can make them louder , without having that earrape problem.

so what do you guys think? 

how do i even tag people here

Edited by JustJoking, 24 August 2018 - 08:20 AM.

#11 fff

fff
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

That's what was missing! i always thought the voices from MO units differed from the vanilla ones. Now with this radio filter it makes the new voices sound like it was kinda recorded all in the same studio. I hope this gets implemented in the future. :thumbsupcool:

#12 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  •  Former Sith Lord who's stuck on earth, playing Video Games :P

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

3.3.6 update *Kappa*

#13 Initiate

Initiate
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

The American voices are noticeably better with the radio voice added in. They were always the most jarring for me.

Hope this gets implemented! 

#14 doctormedic

doctormedic

Giver of Demolition trucks

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

You did a good job making the voice lines sound like they belong on a cnc game,thanks for the effort.

#15 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

You did a good job making the voice lines sound like they belong on a cnc game,thanks for the effort.

thank you. There is still something missing imo, that would make them exactly like in the vanilla game. I'm trying to figure it out.

Also, a little update on this topic. I messaged speeder, and he told me it is one of the things he has been thinking about for a while now. As I mentioned, every voice requires it's own preset and effect, so it will take quite a bit of work to do it for all the voices. When it will be implemented is unclear, but good to know it is in the devs plan.

#16 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

Good update. I mean it's likely that they hold it off in favor for more critical things like balance and new mission.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users