America's Riot trooper need a buff or rework

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorZedEZ

DoctorZedEZ
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

To start with This topic is from my personal opinion and past experience in MO I will not say that my opinion is the best opinion feel free to comment and correct

After several games I played as america and seeing other playing it I think Riot trooper have pretty low tactical value in most situation (infantry only game is one of the exception)

First his most shining ability is being able to clear out garrison from considerable range which is good but there are better option to do this

Add 400$(from Riot trooper 1000$ cost) and you get Abrams tank which is same tier unit on tier 3 While Abrams can out range most garrison if micro managed well and also able to deal with other armor , infantry

and structure with its versatile weapon Riot can only kill infantry 

In some cases if I want garrison to stay intact after clearing I just bring some engineer and repair them and your infantry is able to garrison them again

Second the amphibious ability is not that useful as Riot can't effectively deal with ship it can just help him clear out shoreline garrison or crossing water space but we have the Warhawk which can do both with addition of only 150$

Third on the army composition I found that Navy SEAL is more effective to mix into my tank division than riot While SEAL can't clear garrison without risking their lives Abrams as mentioned before could do that job and Seal is 350$ cheaper which is pretty big different on mass production SEAL also have Riot's amphibious ability and able to assist tanks on base demolition with his C4

Riot trooper armor and extra health don't help much while their armor allow magnetic weapon to be used upon 

So let's wrap it up Riot tier 3 requirement and 1000$ cost make them a mid to late game unit and other unit also have ability to safely clear garrison 

Only thing I found good about them is longer flashbang range than bulldog and usage in infantry only mode

Edited by DoctorZedEZ, 29 October 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#2 Polaris Starnor

Polaris Starnor
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

I think one of the problems with the riot trooper is that there’re so many other anti infantry options with other purposes like you mentioned, the seals, there are also rocketeers masses which could probably use some debuffs considering how they are right now, Tanya herself is also a god tier anti infantry etc etc. Afterall, with so many other workable alternatives, a unit that’s specialized as an anti-infantry unit loses it’s shine, despite how they’re more efficient than most said alternatives. While you mention you could just smash a garrison with your Abrams and then engineer it, engineers are particularly fragile and can easily take the fall to crossfire. While yes riot troopers get stopped by magnetrons, that’s just psicorps and there are still 11 other factions that don’t get magnetrons, and their durability is really quite ludicrous, mixed in with a field medic ifv or 2 can hold of enemy attacks for quite awhile. Overall I think maybe we could debuff the range of the Abrams slightly, the Abrams are quite powerful for being one of the cheapest monster tanks and are generally able to stand up against most other monster tanks and even overwhelm them when fighting 1v1.

#3 DrunkMaster

DrunkMaster
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:41 AM

The problem is that as you guys have mentioned, is that USA already has lots of excellent anti-infantry options. Abrams, seals, stormchilds, athena cannons, mercury strike, and especially tanya/tanya ifv. 

The riot trooper's only thing that sets it apart from the above alternative options is its flashbang and the durability (for an infantry unit of course). It's downsides are that its worthless vs anything else other than infantry, which is quite significant considering the alternatives are often excellent versus much more targets than infantry

However, riot troopers by itself are pretty good-- great anti-infantry and excellent durability. Their flashbangs are especially killer and easily wipe out infantry hordes (a single flashbang can wipe out up to 6 infantry). So although it is a bit underwhelming, it is far from useless. Quite a bit of players still build a handful of riot troopers in army because of the above. When directly comparing riot troopers with SEALs, riot troopers are actually much more durable, which is actually a significant advantage that should not be overlooked. The extra durability allows riot troopers to take on stuff like Desolators-- something which SEALs get destroyed by. Riot troopers also don't get one-shotted by viruses and snipers, which is also huge when considering Allies have medics. Riot troopers also don't get pwned as badly by a bloatick trap, unlike SEALs which get killed in groups. 

I would love to see the riot troopers' flashbang to be able to debuff armored vehicles. That might give it more of a niche and set it apart from the plethora of options that the USA has for crowd control. That is the only buff I would suggest, but I also wouldn't be surprised it some people think that we leave the riot trooper as it is.

Edited by DrunkMaster, 31 October 2018 - 04:49 AM.

https://drive.google...XL8n9cAwpph8wY-

^Folder of my custom Maps^

#4 Petya

Petya

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:37 AM

Not all units were supposed to be played all the time.

With that in mind, Riot Trooper is among the more situational picks. It can clear garrisons and it can take spammable infantry head on without them dying (they are quite tanky). The garrison clearing ability makes it almost a must pick on urban maps.

#5 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

So it's pretty much just for garrison clearing then, since the anti-infantry role can be filled by other units with similar prereqs and tech levels.

#6 Endless

Endless
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Projects:Weaponized Dad Jokes
  •  Disgusting USA main

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

Riot troopers are a must have in the case you're facing someone that relies heavily on infantry spam.

While USA does have plenty of anti infantry options, they are more often than not single target and will struggle a fair bit against massed blobs of infantry.

The riot trooper on the other hand has amazing damage against infantry in addition to powerful splash damage, you can basically kite around a large blob of infantry with just a few riot troopers and take it out mighty fine.

Cease or I will have to use D E A D L Y F O R C E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users