31 replies to this topic

#1 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

NOTE:

For Windows, follow this guide here: https://forums.revor...allation-guide/

Mac Instructions (Doesn't work with Catalina): https://www.reddit.c...nline_play_t3a/

People in this thread have figured out how to run BFME II and RotWK as of 2020! That's out of the scope of this guide.

This guide now assumes you use >Wine 5.11, which brings great improvements and simplifications!

How this guide works:

At each step, there will be the basic instruction, and then a spoiler tag if you need more help. This is because some of you will know how to install it based on the synopsis above, and some of you won't know how to mount a disk from the command line. This guide will work for you both :)

Prerequisites:

If you're new, or not too comfortable with Linux, this guide may be a bit difficult (but not impossible) to follow. I recommend you get the help of a friend, Google, or just try, try and try again if you get stuck!

If you have not previously installed wine:

1. Install wine

If you have previously installed wine:

1. Make sure you're not on a 32-bit version of wine. You'll know if you are since it's hard to get there (guide previously required it).

In either case:

1. You need to install wget, cdrtools, libgnutls, and libmpg123.
    Spoiler

Installation Steps:

1. Download The Battle for Middle Earth (Click here)
    Spoiler
  2. Go to the directory with tBfMe.iso
    Spoiler
  3. Mount the iso
    Spoiler
  4. Enter your mount point
    Spoiler
  5. Run the AutoRun.exe

Spoiler
  6. Install the game as you would normally

Spoiler

7. Patch Options.ini to avoid Exception Access Violation

Spoiler

8. Download the v1.03 patch: https://www.gamefron...tegory/25-v1-03 

Spoiler

9. Download the v1.05, v1.06 and Online Installer: http://server.cnc-on...tch1.06_AIO.exe

Spoiler

10. Launch the game!

Spoiler

How to fix "Download Failed: Success" for v1.05 patch

Spoiler

How to fix resolution:

Spoiler

How to kill unresponsive game:

Spoiler

How to make the game cooperate with Virtual Desktops:

Spoiler

How to get better performance:

Playing online:

Right now, the T3AOnline launcher creates a thread in some weird fashion to kick off the game.dat that's not currently supported by Wine. I have tested this fairly extensively on Wine 4.5 and was unable to make it work. If you're reading this in the future, or if T3AOnline receives another update, it may be worth trying again, but for now it's not easily possible.

Edited by Before, 06 October 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:39 AM

Thank you Before, I will pin this and share it to our social media. =D This is bound to help many players!

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:03 AM

Thank you Before, I will pin this and share it to our social media. =D This is bound to help many players!

Definitely give a shoutout to Lutris. They have a very painfree installer!

#4 CalsonVomDach

CalsonVomDach
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

NOTE: For Windows, follow this guide here: https://forums.revor...allation-guide/

UPDATE: If you don't want to play online, you can just use this to install quickly: https://lutris.net/g...r-middle-earth/ (I'm not sure if this installs all the patches)

A while ago someone created this tool which lets you play BFME on a Mac, and I was thinking I would give it a shot to port BFME to Debian-based Linux (i.e. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc) and make a guide for it (here). I put a catchy title so it can be caught by search engines incase a guide already exists (besides the Mac one linked above) so I can link it here, otherwise I could just keep updating the thread with my findings.

Would people be interested in this sort of thing?

Edit: Steps so far (will clean up)

PRE-STEPS:

- If you don't have wine installed, run sudo apt-get install wine

- Run wine --version. If your version is below 3.03, update it manually here: https://tecadmin.net...ntu-and-debian/ (the wget part doesn't work, download the key manually by pasting the URL in your browser, cd into the downloads folder and then run the next command)

1. Download the BFME iso
  2. Run sudo apt-get install furiusisomount
  3. Run furiusisomount, click "Mount" (top right), and open your .iso
  4. Double click the mounted path so it opens in your explorer
  5. Right click explorer and select "Open in Terminal"
  6. Run winecfg
  7. A "Wine configuration" window should pop up. Click the tab that says "Libraries"
  8. Click "New override for library" and find "d3d8" - click Add
  9. Find d3d8 (builtin,native) in your new "Existing overrrides" tab, click on it and hit "Edit"
  10. Select "Builtin (wine)", hit OK, hit OK again (this will enable DirectX 9.0)
  11. Run wine AutoRun.exe (Note: This command works best on Test distributions since Wine has had massive updates recently and it a whole lot better)
  12. Select your language and click around the bottom-left to find "Install"
  13. Enter a CD Key
  14. Use default install directory, follow prompts
  15. When it says "Launch game", exit, and download the all in one patch 1.06 installer (if it tells you to "Enter CD ROM" here, ignore that and let it crash)
  16. Before running the All In One Patch installer, download the v1.03 patch: https://www.gamefron...h-patch-english (For non-English patches, find here: https://www.gamefron...ry/patches-105)
  17. cd to your Downloads directory, run the v1.03 patch installer (i.e. "wine LotrBfMe-65539-english.exe", follow prompts (note: current wine versions hide the prompts behind eachother. Move them out of the way, this install should take seconds))
  18. After that's done downloading, run the All In One Patch Installer the same way. Make sure in the "Select Components" you add the T3A Online Launcher to play online with us!
  19. cd into ~/.wine/drive_c/users
  20. cd into your username
  21. cd AppData
  22. mkdir Roaming
  23. cd Roaming
  24. mkdir "My Battle for Middle-earth™ Files"
  25. cd "My Battle for Middle-earth™ Files"
  26. Run the following command:

Spoiler
  1. cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/EA\ GAMES/The\ Battle\ for\ Middle-earth\ \(tm\)/
  2. Run wine lotrbfme.exe

Edit: t3aonline.exe doesn't work, so you'll have to go without the launcher. I'm sure future wine versions will fix that, so maybe if you're reading this guide in 2019 it'll work. Until then though, trek on without!

004d:fixme:wincodecs:JpegDecoder_Frame_CopyPalette (0x14ab64,0x150e70): stub
003f:fixme:thread:NtCreateThreadEx 0x32e634, 1fffff, (nil), 0x9c, 0x3f0000, 0x3f0095, 0, 0, 0, 0, (nil) semi-stub!

Hi:)

I followed your instructions one by one but when I enter the last comand "wine lotrbfme.exe" there is opened a transparent window and nothing happens.
This is the resulting log:
002e:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x1e80000 0 0x33fde4 4 stub
002e:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub
002e:fixme:wincodecs:JpegDecoder_Frame_CopyPalette (0x155d24,0x15c010): stub

I'm using ubuntu gnome 16.04 LTS.

May you help me?

Best Regards!

Edit: I tried to start via "wine Autorun.exe" in ~/tBfMe_iso and got following error:

263a5pj.jpg

Edited by CalsonVomDach, 16 December 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#5 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:50 AM

Very cool stuff! I play these games on my MacBook Pro. However, I want to play mods for them but cannot do so. Can anyone help me with resolving this issue, please?

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#6 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:51 AM

NOTE: For Windows, follow this guide here: https://forums.revor...allation-guide/

UPDATE: If you don't want to play online, you can just use this to install quickly: https://lutris.net/g...r-middle-earth/ (I'm not sure if this installs all the patches)

A while ago someone created this tool which lets you play BFME on a Mac, and I was thinking I would give it a shot to port BFME to Debian-based Linux (i.e. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc) and make a guide for it (here). I put a catchy title so it can be caught by search engines incase a guide already exists (besides the Mac one linked above) so I can link it here, otherwise I could just keep updating the thread with my findings.

PRE-STEPS:

- Run wine --version. If your version is below 3.03, update it manually here: https://tecadmin.net...ntu-and-debian/ (the wget part doesn't work, download the key manually by pasting the URL in your browser, cd into the downloads folder and then run the next command)

1. Download the BFME iso
  6. Run winecfg
  7. A "Wine configuration" window should pop up. Click the tab that says "Libraries"
  9. Find d3d8 (builtin,native) in your new "Existing overrrides" tab, click on it and hit "Edit"
  10. Select "Builtin (wine)", hit OK, hit OK again (this will enable DirectX 9.0)
  11. Run wine AutoRun.exe (Note: This command works best on Test distributions since Wine has had massive updates recently and it a whole lot better)
  13. Enter a CD Key
  15. When it says "Launch game", exit, and download the all in one patch 1.06 installer (if it tells you to "Enter CD ROM" here, ignore that and let it crash)
  16. Before running the All In One Patch installer, download the v1.03 patch: https://www.gamefron...h-patch-english (For non-English patches, find here: https://www.gamefron...ry/patches-105)
  17. cd to your Downloads directory, run the v1.03 patch installer (i.e. "wine LotrBfMe-65539-english.exe", follow prompts (note: current wine versions hide the prompts behind eachother. Move them out of the way, this install should take seconds))
  18. After that's done downloading, run the All In One Patch Installer the same way. Make sure in the "Select Components" you add the T3A Online Launcher to play online with us!
  21. cd AppData
  22. mkdir Roaming
  23. cd Roaming

Spoiler
  1. cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/EA\ GAMES/The\ Battle\ for\ Middle-earth\ \(tm\)/
  2. Run wine lotrbfme.exe

Edit: t3aonline.exe doesn't work, so you'll have to go without the launcher. I'm sure future wine versions will fix that, so maybe if you're reading this guide in 2019 it'll work. Until then though, trek on without!

003f:fixme:thread:NtCreateThreadEx 0x32e634, 1fffff, (nil), 0x9c, 0x3f0000, 0x3f0095, 0, 0, 0, 0, (nil) semi-stub!

I followed your instructions one by one but when I enter the last comand "wine lotrbfme.exe" there is opened a transparent window and nothing happens.

May you help me?

Best Regards!

Edit: I tried to start via "wine Autorun.exe" in ~/tBfMe_iso and got following error:

263a5pj.jpg

Wine 4.0c3 just got its code frozen and tagged for release. Try updating to that in a few weeks and see if it works. 

#7 bbx

bbx
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Hi n thanks to the above instruction given by BEFORE.

yeh i got  BFME 1 working following above guide. id updated wine before i started to most recent stable... higher than 4.0 mentioned.

tho i was a little lost as a new linux user on what cd means from 19 to 26 instructions however without doing any of those the game ran n tho had issue with screen mode after a few attempts it let me switch with widow to window key and i was able to alter reserlution on the ingame options for my laptop screen.[RESTARTED GAME A FEW TIMES:} so i made good progress over all tho when i tryd test of online access it started switching SCREEN SIZE automatic n eventually had to shut down as everything was unworkable.

il post follow up on any further progress or any ongoing issues.

thanks again for the help with this.

#8 bbx

bbx
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

hi i still don't understand if i did something wrong in wine prefix maybe i chose emulator thinking i was setting the screen???

i can get it to change pressing f1 key n frustratingly if the screen is right the cursor is off beside that it works ok if anyone knows how to help wih this id love to know as i miss playing this game which i had on xbox n was most played online game!.n best buy of all the lotr games id had....

plus this is such a surprise to me to find that i can still and  i know my son would also love to play this game again :))

#9 bbx

bbx
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:36 AM

ok once i found how you see hidden file i was able to to apply the edit of screen size in options ini file. the game plays fine now. tho i still have the crash when i click the online button :( has anyone else had this that can help to find fix for this thatd be great.

thanks again for the guide abovefrom BEFORE.

#10 bbx

bbx
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

ok lastly the issue with crash could be i didn't register online acc first so first step would be make online acc here n register TA3 from here then follow install guide above. so will try again in the near future 

#11 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:57 AM

ok once i found how you see hidden file i was able to to apply the edit of screen size in options ini file. the game plays fine now. tho i still have the crash when i click the online button :( has anyone else had this that can help to find fix for this thatd be great.

thanks again for the guide abovefrom BEFORE.

I'm trying to figure out a fix for online myself as well. I'll let you know if I can do it :) Thanks though!

#12 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:06 AM

Updated the guide, removed some steps and added better scripts.

While T3Aonline still doesn't work, I also recently got BFME I mods and BFME II working on Linux. I don't have guides up, but just know those are both possible following similar steps as in the instructions :)

#13 Arwathoes

Arwathoes
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

I got the same problem and rea;

PRE-STEPS:

1. Download the BFME iso
  6. Run winecfg
  13. Enter a CD Key
  21. cd AppData
  22. mkdir Roaming
  23. cd Roaming

Spoiler
  2. Run wine lotrbfme.exe

May you help me?

Best Regards!

263a5pj.jpg

I got the same problem and realized it was because lib32-gnutls, lib32-mpg123, and cdrtools installed wrong so i had to do the manually, now i dont have the transparent window problem, but get this error message when i launch the game:

There wan an error launching the application.

Details: failed to exchange to directory "/home/malachi/.wine/dosdevices/c:/programfiles(x86)/EA GAMES/The Battle For Middle-earth ™" (No such file or directory)

I figured i should just unmount the iso and redo everything now that i have lib32-gnutls, lib32-mpg123, and cdrtools installed properly, but i cant figure out how to reinstall/ re-mount it. Any thoughts?

Edited by Arwathoes, 07 January 2020 - 06:08 AM.

#14 pthor655

pthor655
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

Updated the guide, removed some steps and added better scripts.

While T3Aonline still doesn't work, I also recently got BFME I mods and BFME II working on Linux. I don't have guides up, but just know those are both possible following similar steps as in the instructions :)

Ive tried to install BFME II using your guide above and the other install guide for windows, and im not having much luck at all. The installation seems to have gone ok but trying to launch the game only gets me the splash screen before it closes.
Don't suppose youre thinking of writing a second guide for BFME 2 at all? or if you have a few notes on how best to debug whats going on?

Happy to help figure this out together.

Im running ubuntu 19.10 and wine-4.0.2 (Ubuntu 4.0.2-1) if that makes any difference.

I do have BFME I working all thanks to you  (your guide is top funking notch), so i can take a little slice of my teenage years with me everywhere.

Seriously nice work man

Many thanks

#15 pthor655

pthor655
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

OK so BFME2 update.

I completely removed the files and folders for BFME2 and re-ran the steps from this guide here: guide

After some fiddling around it now works! ( the path should be /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/My Battle for Middle-earth™ II Files/    in the other guide. )

I'll try to put together a full guide for anyone thats really stumped but if you follow the steps slowly and carefully, then it should work just fine.

The only hill to tackle now is RotWK which seems to throw gamedata errors with the patches installed  :flame:  the little scamp.

I havent tried all the patches yet but when I hit v5 the game started demanding the CD so lower than that i likely a no go.

If anyone has any ideas please chime in, im sure with just a few of us we can get this working.

Cheers

#16 pthor655

pthor655
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

A quick update

RotWK works fully on wine without a CD but you will need to have patch 1.06 enabled for BFME2 before you start up RotWK.
The last few things to repair are the colour settings for custom heroes and a small game pause bug when loading a save file.

As before, follow the install steps careflly and you should have no issues.

Any questions, let me know

#17 Before

Before
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:37 PM

Guide updated to use Wine 5.4. 32-bit wine no longer needed!

#18 hharut

hharut
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

Hi there,

Many thanks for your post - i managed to get it up and running on ubuntu 18.04. However, I have been trying to do the same with BFME2 and ROTWK with no luck at all (I managed to install BFME2 but no luck in running). You mention a thread where people have figured that out? Could you help me out with this? Thanks!

#19 obi0b1

obi0b1
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

@hharut

I'm running Pop! OS 19 (which is close to Ubuntu afaik).

I've just managed to install BFME and BFME2.

My steps:

1. Install BMFE2 + patches, just like you installed BFME (links to patches etc can be found in the guide for Windows https://forums.revor...allation-guide/)

2. Make sure Options.ini (uppercase O) and Maps directory are under /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Application Data/My Battle for Middle-earthâ„¢ II Files/ , just like pthor555 said in the post above

3. Replace game.dat with the one linked to in the Windows guide

4. At this point, you should be able to run BFME2 1.06 at least.

5. It might also be necessary to run the wine command on the patch switcher EXE (should be under Program Files x86 in the wine folder)

If you don't have the .NET framework (aka mono) on your Linux, wine might refuse to run the patch switcher with the following error:

Wine Mono is not installed

Solution:

https://www.dedoimed...otnet-mono.html

sudo apt-get install winetricks
winetricks dotnet45

Generally I found that diverging even a tiny bit from the instructions (e.g. options.ini being lowercased) will just make the game launcher freeze and leave you with no errors to debug.

#20 obi0b1

obi0b1
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

Also, if you manage to run the game but the zoom in the battle maps is too close, it probably means you're on 1.06, and not 1.09 (check Settings menu in game).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users