• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Houseplant

Houseplant

title available

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:24 PM

So, this thread is for the MO fans. The idea is as follows: List one or more things that you think inspired the designs in MO, be it a unit, a story element, etc.

#2 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

There are some obvious ones, like the whole nanofiber idea being inspired by the anime Kill la Kill, with the Nanofiber Sync effect even using the iconic green/teal-colored 4-pronged star shape used by Studio Trigger in their animated works.

The unit Pyro was inspired by the Pyro from Team Fortress 2.

The whole Paradox Engine is actually a JoJo reference, especially noticeable if one digs into the files.

The Thor Gunship is from Terminator, if I recall. (Edit: Ah it's from ALIENS, the Terminator dropship looks different.)

The Gharial is from Alien.

The storyline about the Libra clones referred as the "Sisters" was pretty much inspired by the To Aru novel/anime series.

Edited by Solais, 30 November 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#3 Tathmesh

Tathmesh

title available

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  Degenerate Haihead Main

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Irkalla strongly resembles the Nod Leviathan from C&C4. The Nod Leviathan voice lines are actually the Foehn Leviathan's line.

Salamander comes from the Nod Salamander I believe.

Foehn Wind Manipulation is kind of unique and it's hard to pin down where it comes from. But I think it might be from Speeder's old factions ideas. He mentioned in a news post that he made a faction with a tornado logo, which might be where the Wind Manipulation thing comes from.

Side note: Its weird that a faction that emphasizes wind manipulation has a shark logo, but I've deduced from the facts that Foehn is in fact inspired by Sharknado.

Edited by Tathmesh, 29 November 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#4 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

The Foehn windtraps I would say are a callback to Westwood's Dune games.

Anyways, I've noticed a few. 

Salamander looks like the pelican dropship from the Halo Franchise.

Thor gunship is the dropship from ALIENS. 

Foehn lancer is another Halo reference, though could just be a repurposed public asset and not intentional.

As for story, getting some Terminator vibes from the apparent dark future conflict Foehn fights against Epsilon. And I've gotten Nineteen Eighty-Four vibes from Epsilon itself. Also the apparent "whole world under one mind" goal of Yuri reminds me of the Borg collective. 

#5 Thesilver

Thesilver
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Knightframes are basicly those armor mechs from the 3rd matrix movie. And lancers are basically halo sword elites. That's not even a reference, their animations are build from old sword elite models. Just look at how strangely hunged over they run, that's exactly how the elites run. There are also plenty of RA3 units ported into MO like the cryocopter, although im not certain if these count for inspiration since its also a red alert game.

#6 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Actually, in the Foehn reveal trailer, the Lancers did use the halo sword elite sprite, but by release, they were redrawn to be more unique.

Tsurugi Powersuit is entirely a reference to Robocop's ED 209, including its "backstory" and all of its quotes, including the weird roar sound.

Edited by Solais, 30 November 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#7 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:04 AM

Tsurugi also kinda look like Future Cop : LAPD's X1 Alpha btw, but that's a less noticeable game so I have my doubts

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#8 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

Wow there's someone who remembers that game.

#9 JustJoking

JustJoking
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

The whole Paradox Engine is actually a JoJo reference, especially noticeable if one digs into the files.

oh my god time freeze is just za warudo

#10 Petya

Petya

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Yay, people suddenly revealed that MO is in fact an anime.

#11 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

Or that. Still don't immediately recognize all the stolen tech units. XD

#12 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Borillo is a Vindicator siege tank from WH40k. The Catastrophe Tank seems to be a mini Baneblade, and Fin is a space marine, complete with a bolter gun. The Sentinel is a Chinese unit from Rise of the Reds. I'm fairly sure that Libra was at least partially inspired by Elfen Lied, the horn-like things on her hood are especially telling. The Irkalla looks like a Nod Leviathan, but its INI name suggests that someone really wanted the Göttersdamerung from Iron Sky to be in the mod. Can't blame them.

Some vanilla and vanilla-derived units have real-life inspirations, Tesla technology is obviously inspired by his fabled death ray, Prism Tank and prism technology is like British CDL except that it's actually useful. Mind control is likely inspired by IRL experiments with brainwashing and psychic abilities conducted both by the US and the USSR, and cyborgs are probably an idea taken from the urban legend of a Soviet program of that nature.

I also think that the Alanqua Skystation resembles an aircraft from Echelon: Wind Warriors, but I'm not the least bit sure about it.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#13 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

I was more thinking of the Protoss Mothership from Starcraft 2 for the Irkalla. Though the Nod Leviathan is more likely. 

#14 GameMaster0000

GameMaster0000
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:10 AM

Draco tank is base on this

#15 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:47 AM

Stalker is like Registeel. I think.
Also the design of Babel Tower is something that suddenly gave a struck of déjà vu. I don't remember when I draw that, but the design is quite as same as mine.

#16 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:11 PM

I always thought that Stalker is Big Daddy from Bioshock.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users