Photo

How to use a mod with the vanilla/WA campaigns?

vanilla wa campaign

7 replies to this topic

#1 FraktalTMG

FraktalTMG
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

While I'm not very experienced at it, I've been tinkering around with a personal mod project for unifying and standardizing unit/structure stats and tech trees between vanilla, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, possibly Soulstorm as well once I get there, using the DC Bugfix mod (and Dawn of Skirmish) as a base. Among other things; the list of changes I want to make is very long (as in, the changelog is a 1400-line text file already and new ideas keep coming to me all the time) and I won't bore you with it.

Anyway, I'd also like to use the opportunity to fix some bugs I've noticed in the vanilla and WA campaigns. Problem is, if I actually load the mod, the game doesn't load the campaigns into the UI. The warnings.log file only contains a "Warning: Skipping MOD 'w40k' campaign 'DATA:SCENARIOS\SP\dawnofwar.camp'" and if I extract this file using Corsix, the warning goes away but the campaign still doesn't load, even though there is no warning or error message that doesn't also appear when I'm loading the unmodded game. What is forcing the game to not load the campaign? Do I need to dump the entire Scenarios/SP folder or something?

#2 Kasrkin84

Kasrkin84
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • Projects:Strongholds, Unification

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

For vanilla Dawn of War you'll need to edit data/scenarios/sp/dawnofwar.camp so that the line ModName = "W40k" is changed to whatever your mod is called (i.e. the name of your .module file). You will also need to copy the Movies folder from W40k into your mod's folder.

Some elements of the WA campaign (specifically the frontend menus and the mission loading screens) are hardcoded to only work properly when using the WXP "mod" (i.e. the unmodded game), so editing data/scenarios/sp/wxp_disorder.camp and data/scenarios/sp/wxp_order.camp to change ModName = "WXP" to your mod might not work 100% for these elements. You'll also need to copy the Movies folder from WXP into your mod folder.

#3 FraktalTMG

FraktalTMG
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Oh, that's good stuff. Thanks, I've been looking for this info for years.

You'll also need to copy the Movies folder from WXP into your mod folder.

For the record (and in the name of contributing to community knowledge), there's an alternate solution for that in Windows 8 and above:

mklink /J .\Movies ..\[whichever expansion the mod is using; in this case, WXP]\Movies

Executing this in a command prompt from the mod's folder makes it so that whenever the game is trying to read the mod's Movies folder, an NTFS directory junction seamlessly redirects it to the unmodded game's Movie folder. I've tested it on Dark Crusade and can confirm that the game doesn't notice the difference and reads the cinematics just fine, while you save several hundred megabytes of disk space (per mod, if you'd have copied the Movies folder to each one).

This also works for savefiles, allowing multiple mods to use the same saves (if the mods' content is cross-compatible, of course) for testing (or cheating) purposes.

#4 Industrial_Strength

Industrial_Strength

Diesel Powered

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Projects:Surviving, DOW 1
  •  S/A: Random Delays [See Profile]

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

For the record (and in the name of contributing to community knowledge), there's an alternate solution for that in Windows 8 and above:

mklink /J .\Movies ..\[whichever expansion the mod is using; in this case, WXP]\Movies

Executing this in a command prompt from the mod's folder makes it so that whenever the game is trying to read the mod's Movies folder, an NTFS directory junction seamlessly redirects it to the unmodded game's Movie folder. I've tested it on Dark Crusade and can confirm that the game doesn't notice the difference and reads the cinematics just fine, while you save several hundred megabytes of disk space (per mod, if you'd have copied the Movies folder to each one).

This also works for savefiles, allowing multiple mods to use the same saves (if the mods' content is cross-compatible, of course) for testing (or cheating) purposes.
To quote a new member...

Oh, that's good stuff. Thanks, I've been looking for this info for years!

That's my response to your post, 😁
Very useful information! For myself in any case; as I was unaware.

I'll have to look more into available commands; it's been quite long since my Tandy DOS days. 😉

I look forward to using this to save some space when I finally get my new system up, running & begin the tedious process of getting DOW SS up & going with the large # of mods & such involved. Unification alone is a quite the compilation of mods; let alone any alternative art, etc. that one may use.

However; I digress as usual! My apologies!

I just wanted to say thank you for this useful information! As I can think of multiple uses for this just with DOW; let alone other games & programs!

It seems like it will be a useful trick for many game's mods & the like; based on Googling the command. As well as some other handy uses.

Much obliged for bringing it to my attention. Thanks! 👍
"I do what I can to serve the public."

#5 FraktalTMG

FraktalTMG
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

You're welcome. FYI, though, do not use a directory junction to point a mod's Locale folder at the unmodded Locale folder if the game is complaining in the log that it cannot find UCS files for the mod. It won't prevent the game from loading, but it will cause the game to complain in the log that even though it can see UCS files for the mod, it cannot load them because they're overlapping with the unmodded originals (since it's the exact same file loaded twice).

#6 Kasrkin84

Kasrkin84
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

I actually use this method myself. Just thought I'd keep things simpler though.

Plus, if you want to share this mod with other people then the directory junction wouldn't work.

#7 FraktalTMG

FraktalTMG
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:40 AM

Observation: the latest version of Dawn of Skirmish that works for the vanilla game (1.40) crashes at the beginning of mission 4 (a couple of seconds after the first objective is completed and the player's starting base is dropped) with a fatal AI error due to squad_ai:GetStats() returning nil when a unit counting script tried to GetSquadName() on it. Included a nil check for GetStats() into the if block around the erroring code, no more errors for the rest of the mission and the AI remained in working order. I wonder what caused it? Four AIs got activated according to the log, could one of them have been the cutscene Chaos guys who don't have anything?

#8 Kasrkin84

Kasrkin84
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

The Dawn of Skirmish AI will always return an error if any of the players in a game are set to "npc_race". You can fix this by changing them to something else, like "space_marine_race".

EDIT: At least, this is the case for the Soulstorm version. I can't say for definite if this is also the case in vanilla DoW.

Edited by Kasrkin84, 09 January 2019 - 11:01 AM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vanilla, wa, campaign

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users