What would it take for faster servers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fried Chicken

Fried Chicken
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour came out in September of 2003.

In 2003, the Pentium 4 Northwood Processor was king, employing a 130nm production process.   The latest WiFi standard was also the first wifi standard: 802.11b, with a blazing 11 mbps of speed.  More than half of U.S. households still used Dial-Up.  Broadband was considered anything faster than 256 kbit/s.  Hard drives were topping out at 100GB, and IDE remained king, although the latest hard drives employed this brand new standard called SATA.  The SSD would not appear for consumer computers for at least another 4 years, and wouldn't become affordable for at least another 10.

And so I wonder.  With all this in mind.  Why is it, that in 2019, a full 16 YEARS after the initial release of C&C Generals Zero Hour, I still encounter lag?  What historical museum pieces are people running their games on?  This is a question I wonder, because it really blows the mind.  But I digress.

The reason I'm posting here, is because I also notice server-side lag, especially during peak times.

I fully understand and appreciate what's been done by the revora team.  Truly, you are keeping my all-time favorite game alive, and I am forever thankful.  But In my quest to eliminate all lag, I do want to ask: what would it take to make the servers faster?  What sort of monetary investment would be needed?  Faster processors?  More RAM?  Motherboard upgrades?  Better internet?  Surely it can't be that expensive, and maybe there's the potential for a round of fundraising.

#2 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

The player to player connection in Zero Hour does not go near the server. The server could go off line completely and running games would continue as they were. Any lag players experience comes from their own computers and internet connections and those of their opponents. That is the way the games were designed and there is nothing that can be done about that.

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#3 Fried Chicken

Fried Chicken
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

That was the preamble.  I really wonder what museum pieces people play this game on.

That being said, there's also server-side lag on occasion.  People will get kicked offline, there will be huge lag when setting up games - picking teams, factions, spots, etc.  The same logic applies, it really shouldn't take much to kill all lag.  It could be helped with an excellent fundraising effort, and that's why I'm asking what the community can do.

Edited by Fried Chicken, 07 March 2019 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users