• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone have any clue what image editor works best with PCX files?

Those are really specific, as is the format. Its basically the older generation of bitmaps (PaintBrush, Win 95 era).

Scratch out Photoshop and GIMP. None do work. Corel Photo Paint or PaintShop Pro seem a good alternative..... BUT they are paid. Most of old editors don't work on Windows 7 too. The PCX's are contained in different parts of BEL and are actual images with a rather strange properties.

Edited by Zakxaev68, 29 April 2019 - 08:05 AM.

comm-boot-camp-promo-revora-join-us-co.p

<<< CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO DO SO >>>

#2 Maurice1976

Maurice1976
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:29 AM

Paint.net is a freeware image editor, that's actually quite good once you start to find your way around it. The tool allows for custom-made plugins and many people have created those over the years. There seems to be a .PCX file plugin for it, which enables the user to edit .PCX files.

#3 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

I didn't mention that, Maurice. I have had an issue for PaintNET. I still can't install it on Windows 7, always throws a W7 compatibility error. Searched around Google for a solution, no luck. Might have to install it over on my WinXP lappy and try it... You sure it does support BEL's PCX files?

#4 Maurice1976

Maurice1976
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

I've used Paint.net myself on Windows 7 and I haven't had any issues with that. Even recently, when I tried something for a different game.

As far as images go with regards to BEL, I have done graphics editing for that game a while ago (mostly to get a library of all images they use ingame sorted out), but I don't recall if that includes PCX files. I would need to check when I have time and I'm actually at home :p.

#5 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:17 PM

With a bit of luck and some trickery between Gimp, Photoshop and Paint.NET I finally have it working (you have to download the PCX plugin first!). And I know what was the issue: damaged colour palette. Even though Photoshop supports PCX natively. Chances are if you set the palette manually, it could work.

Paint.NET requires you to tick the "Use original colour palette" box else the file wont work in the game.

#6 Maurice1976

Maurice1976
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

That's good info, about that original color palette.

Did you manage to get Paint.NET installed on your Windows 7 machine now?

#7 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts
  • Projects:Commandos BEL är bara smörja.

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

You can work on an image as a BMP and then save as PCX using the GREAT tool ImageMagick. (PCX does not have transparency info, right?)

I thing both Gimp and Paint.NET are much too heavy for what they are able to  do.

Edited by Jeroen, 29 April 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#8 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, boy!

I have a solution to the problem, every image editor I listed above works already.

All you have to do is manually set the color palette, as long you source it from the original image.

Screenshot_1 copy.png

Maurice, eventually I will (Windows Updates suck!) Though as I know a way to do it using PS only, no point I guess.

Jeroen, I doubt that will work in a case transparency is involved. Transparency, as in, the old Paintbrush method of doing things transparent (using green). Though what I have here is easier. Can't say for newer PS versions, CS2 user here for life.

Edited by Zakxaev68, 29 April 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#9 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

Yes, CS2 is great.

I just found ImageMagick to change the header of the file when converting to BMP and back to PCX. I wonder if it's still usuable.

You know why PCXs are in "Comandos\creditos" and also in "Comandos\DATOS Orgineel\recursos\BMPS\system\red" ?

#10 herbert3000

herbert3000

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Division Admins
  • 593 posts
  • Division:Commandos HQ
  • Job:Division Admin

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

I have never had any problems editing PCX files with GIMP.

There's also an easy way for using the original palette. Just open the original indexed image, drop the new image on top and it will be automatically converted into an indexed image using the original palette. (BTW, is there another word for 'original'? I think I used 'original' too many times -  just did it again)

#11 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Indeed. CS2 can be pain in the arse at times even at that. Broke the palette few times doing it the way you suggest, herb. Old software, old crap.

Jeroen: Steam version, right? Loose files. Was easier for whoever done the Steam version.

Edited by Zakxaev68, 29 April 2019 - 09:53 PM.

#12 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

Jeroen: Steam version, right? Loose files. Was easier for whoever done the Steam version.

Original CD version. But I see now: I extracted WARGAME.DIR from the original game and added that dir structure to an installation of BEL.

I also saved 256ID as bmp and back as pcx. I'll try them later.

#13 Jeroen

Jeroen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:32 PM

And I did try them. The PCXs must be in the \creditos dir. If they're only present in DATOS\recursos\BMPS\system\red the Credits link does not work.

I changed some "hot spots" in Paint and used ImageMagick. Now Jorge Blanco is called Gonzo Suarez too.

#14 Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68

Stalking in the shadows

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

Haha. You don't fight Gonzo Suarez, he's the mastermind!

Joke aside. I haven't used ImageMagick in CENTURIES. Whoever finds that helpful - use it to your advantage. I prefer image editors and plugins, for the sake of conventionality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users