So this pesky problem has plagued us for years. When running 3ds Max 8 on Windows 10, often times when you use right click to bring up context menus, it causes a ghost artefact to remain in your viewport. But it seems there is simple fix. I haven't tested this extensively yet (ie. haven't spent hours modeling with it yet) but I'm posting it so others can try and see if it stays fixed for them.
1. Navigate to your 3ds Max 8 installation folder (under Autodesk, in Program Files)
2. Copy and paste 3dsmax.exe into the folder, creating 3dsmax - copy.exe
3. Edit your 3ds Max 8 launch shortcut's 'Target' field to launch 3dsmax - copy.exe (right click, go to Properties)
4. Run the shortcut as Administrator (very important)
5. The issue should be fixed, or should occur much less frequently
Edit: after spending hours modeling, I can confirm I have not received a single bug.