modding ai rotwk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TV2019

TV2019
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:49 PM

Hi, this might be a stupid question, but I am compelled to ask it anyway. 

Whilst playing Rotwk skirmish and wotr, I often find that the enemy AI for easy and medium modes is too simplistic to be fun. I generally enjoy playing against Hard AI because I feel like the AI is using its factions' abilities, spells, updates etc. to their fullest potential. However, for my skill level, I feel like their attack and production rate is often too fast for me to be able to keep up with.

I don't mind fighting tactically advanced or quantitatively advantaged AI, but I do get annoyed at the fact that there's so rarely time to build up forces and defenses so it feels like a fair although difficult fight and not just one that is unevenly slanted in the advantage of the AI. In WOTR especially, I'd like to have time to build up 'an empire' with some forces spread at so that when the fight begins the odds slightly evened and the challenge feels more real and more immersive. 

Therefore, I was wondering if there is away to temporarily pause enemy activity during skirmishes and WOTR, so that I can get the time to properly prepare for the fight, whilst not diminishing the hard AI's general intelligence and skill? This might just sound like a noob trying to sabotage the game to hedge the bets, but I promise you it's not just about difficulty, it is mostly of countering the immersion breaking effect of having both factions seemingly emerging out of nowhere, rather than having preexisting territories and empires confront one another. 

Also, if there is such a possible tool to temporarily halt the activity of the enemy AI during skirmishes and WOTR for ROTWK, would this tool also be usable in modded versions of the game or does that require some separate means? 

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

In skirmishaidata.ini one could define how much % of the commandpoints are used, however this might be too simplistic and not exactly what you want:

MustUseCommandPointPercentage_Phase1 = 90% ;// The AI UnitBuilder tries to keep the army at at least this size
MustUseCommandPointPercentage_Phase2 = 80%
MustUseCommandPointPercentage_Phase3 = 75%

There are more settings in that file, but maybe you could do this alternative for more control:

One might be able to make a script in worldbuilder that somehow spends all the AI's money for a specified amount of time (or actually pause it if possible, im not entirely sure).

It is possible to do all kinds of scripted things in worldbuilder that might help get the desired effect.

Ridder Geel

#3 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

Another method , but not exactly what you may want 

Make your walls near indestructible , and give more health to the Gates 

Then make enemy siege buildings (a bit ) expensive , as well as the weapons / units 

And lastly , edit how often they use the siege , in skirmishaidata.ini , only in last phase 

You can balance this by making ALL factions same concerning siege 

So you can build your walls , camp in a bit , until you have a proper attack force 

Defending your walls and gate would be fun as well

Good for factions with walls

I also make the Spells a bit longer to load , like Balrog and Army of the Dead  

TIP 2 ;

Play with a CP ally , keep helping him , and you both live longer 

Don’t make him too strong , as he defeats your opponent CP too easily 

TIP 3 ;

Make creeps and liars stronger 

The AI would spend 15-30 mins defeating a lair , so it gives you time to build your base up

Make the Creep drop rewards greater Money amounts 

Edited by JUS_SAURON, 02 April 2020 - 01:35 AM.

#4 Tower300

Tower300
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:21 PM

Is there a way to make AI more aggressve because I made the Command points 8k for all and buildtime abit less so they can send wave after wave of soldiers but they just send 1 wave and just give up I can storm there fortress with 4 units 

#5 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:40 PM

Usually Hard or Brutal AI is quite good,How about a 2 or 3 Computer Player  vs 1 Human Player , 

Try an un-modded version , normal map and check it out

I always get my A@# kicked when playing Solo , so I usually have an Ally CP

#6 Tower300

Tower300
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:50 PM

Also in BFME 2 ROTWK Misty Mountains dont build Goblin tunnels at all and since they use pee wee resource management ill make everything dirt cheap so the Goblins can be a threat to me

Edited by Tower300, 05 April 2020 - 10:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users