• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malvack

malvack
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I was trying to use wb with my mod units and I got an exception that prevents me of using wb. What I wanted to do was to edit the ai purchasing routines of the spellbook powers. I created the .big file with the data folder and put it in the rotwk directory. I did this with every faction, except the goblins (I hadn't finished their new powers at that point) and it worked perfectly. Now that I have the goblins' new spellbook powers, wb crashes after the loading phase and raises an exception. I don't know why is this happening since my mod works using the -mod command and also works when putting the same .big file in the rotwk directory (minus the asset.dat). Point is, the mod is working, all the new abilities work as they should, and the .big file doesn't seem to have any issues. My question is: what is raising the exception? What does usually crashes wb but does not crash the mod? If anyone knows  this, or have some experience with this issue, please give me some pointers. The only thread that I found (and commented in) that talked about this issue was https://forums.revor...cess-violation/ but I can't figure out an answer from this.

The exception I get is the following:

Spoiler

#2 malvack

malvack
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:17 AM

News in this endeavor.

I came across this very useful tutorial:

https://www.the3rdag...?apage=171#page

However, there's a line a can't understand:

My advice would now be to make some arrangements to prepare for the actual debugging. Place your INI files (the modded ones, the vanilla ones can remain disabled) unpacked in the data/ini/ folder, and remove your .big file (loading your INI is enough to effectively debug.

I'm not quite sure what this means. Is it suggesting to go to C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\data and there add the directory \ini? Or is it saying that I should put my files within the ini.big file of the game?

Anyone?

#3 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:01 AM

Try a fresh install ,test for crash , you should get none

then slowly add your new stuff (files) until you discover at what point you get the crash 

I had to fresh install many times when dealing with a pesky code glitch 

Always save your mod before attempting a new thing , so if you have to redo the coding , you know what to look out for 

So you always have a save point of a working , non-crashing mod 

#4 malvack

malvack
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

Try a fresh install ,test for crash , you should get none

then slowly add your new stuff (files) until you discover at what point you get the crash 

I had to fresh install many times when dealing with a pesky code glitch 

Always save your mod before attempting a new thing , so if you have to redo the coding , you know what to look out for 

So you always have a save point of a working , non-crashing mod 

Yeah, thank you!!! Fortunately, I do have a backup, so I can make things from there (it's an old backup but it can be used)

#5 Puzzler33

Puzzler33
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

Potential solution for you  :thumbsupcool: 

My maps have been crashing recently when I try to load them, but not after making any notable changes that would be likely to cause problems.

I got the error below and had a hunch that "strchr" refers to a character in the string file (map.str), so I deleted the map.str file and now the map loads normally (and crashes if I put it back).

worldbuilder crash.png

Also the str file works fine in the game, so the trick is just to move the str file out of the game folder in order to edit it, and back in to play it.

Edited by Puzzler33, 26 April 2020 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users