• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darthjoe29

darthjoe29
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

HI,

I am not experienced at doing mods. I can follow installation instructions that people have been kind enough to publish for installing mods. I want to thank the community for creating the mods as the versions are wonderful.

My question though, is based on me not being experienced or skilled as a programmer. I would like to combined some units from one mod into another mod  but have not been successful. No matter what combination of ini file adjustments or copying I do the game will not work. I am trying to copy some units from one modified version of Lord of the Rings - Rise of the Witch King into another modified version . I was wondering if this forum can advise on how to accomplish this task or let me know if its even possible to do what I am attempting.  

Many thanks for the time and consideration in addressing my question. 

So I can become more skilled at this , can anyone advise on what type of training I should take. 

Joe

#2 Felipe Roll-st

Felipe Roll-st

Talion

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

indeed it is possible what you're attempting

what have you tried so far? just so I know at what level you are at modding 

#3 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

I am wanting to learn how to do the same thing as OP. Basically I wonder what the checklist is for adding a unit or building? Here is what I know I need to add/change:

-INI + references to unit/building and texture

-Textures (.tga and .dds?) for models and portraits

-W3D of the item

-audio

-animations

What else do I need to do?

Edited by SamTheManWithThePlan, 16 February 2021 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Felipe Roll-st

Felipe Roll-st

Talion

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:40 AM

that really depends, each big and ini has obviously certain functions, we could be mentioning upgrades.ini, sciences.ini, attributemodifier.ini, etc.

pm me for whatever you want to do and I'll happily assist you how I can.

edit: check out the3rdage.net, it has plenty of tutorials for many things, especially for the usual stuff that you wanna do when you start modding

Edited by Felipe Roll-st, 17 February 2021 - 04:46 AM.

#5 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:58 AM

I see what you mean. I am beginning to understand how BFME modding works, albeit slowly. I have experience modding Battlefront 2 and I've used the Worldbuilder a lot, but never really got into asset modding.

Yeah, I looked at some of T3A's tutorials, but the problem is a lot of the foundational ones are very old (about 14 years old) and they have dead links. They also refer to "other tutorials" that I can't seem to find. What I'm wanting to do is redo Angmar, starting with changing textures (see this thread I posted: https://forums.revor...ating-new-ones/ ) and eventually add structures (one that debuffs, a lumber camp, a hillmen building, possibly a well, and possibly some sort of buffing structure) heroes (ones from other games, like LOTRO) and units (better numenorians and Angmarim from LOTRO)

I plan to temporarily use units from other mods (I love the Edain numenorians) but would like to have ones of my own. I don't plan on making models but rather use existing ones from vanilla ROTWK, retexturing where necessary to make the dark theme I'm going for.

By PM you mean on Revora, right?

#6 Felipe Roll-st

Felipe Roll-st

Talion

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:40 AM

yes I know, but some the majority I'd say are still pretty useful, especially the ones about coding, you can also find some solutions for further assistance here in this forum if you know how to look.

that sounds like a plan. and yes I meant here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users