Photo

Extracting and Running Patch 2.02 Using -mod command... is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

I am in the process of making a mod. I was previously basing it on patch 2.01, but obviously that version has a few issues.

So, I decided I wanted to base my mod on patch 2.02. I extracted every version of 2.02 in order (from oldest to newest) and I even fixed the gamedata.ini problem (where it won't read macros, following this guide: https://www.the3rdage.net/item-56).

I tried to start my game, but it just closes with no error or popup. What is going on here? It is the same type of crash that happens when there is no options.ini file, except I have mine. I have tried looking up the crash, but all results talk about options.ini which is not the issue here.

Do I need to pack up my mod back into a .big file and move it to my game installation in order for it to work? I have not made any changes to the files (besides macro renaming); all I have done is extract 2.02 and I'm trying to run it with the -mod command so I can get to work on my mod. Any ideas?

#2 Miraak5

Miraak5

title available

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • Projects:ROTWK Patch 2.02, Wars of the North, BFME1 1.08 Complete Edition
  •  BIG coding, Map scripting and AI coding

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:43 PM

u don't need any extra steps to use 2.02 as base for -mod
i use it and it work fine

crash with no error message can happen, u probably made an error somewhere in your file and u will need to go through them and try to find your error, it happened to me long ago (made an error and got no message) was pretty annoying to find and fix t

He was the first...

#3 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:28 AM

u don't need any extra steps to use 2.02 as base for -mod
i use it and it work fine

crash with no error message can happen, u probably made an error somewhere in your file and u will need to go through them and try to find your error, it happened to me long ago (made an error and got no message) was pretty annoying to find and fix t

do you have more details? All I did was extract the files. The only modification I made was renaming the macros using the program I linked to. Apart from that it is just plain 2.02. Before I renamed the macros it just crashed with a gamedata.ini popup error.

Edit: I have narrowed down the issue. It is definitely in the ini folder (when I remove the folder it works) and it is probably in the water.ini (where all the macros are; there is no gamedata.ini file since it can't read those macros). When I remove the water.ini it gives a macro error, and when I put it back it just closes with no message.

what do I need to do to fix it so it launches?

Edited by SamTheManWithThePlan, 12 March 2021 - 12:40 AM.

#4 Miraak5

Miraak5

title available

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:28 PM

i have a gamedata.ini wich is just empty, since im also using water.ini
maybe try to add it ?

He was the first...

#5 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

I tried that, it didn't work. Did you just copy all the macros into water.ini, or did you do something else as well?

#6 Miraak5

Miraak5

title available

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:26 PM

i followed this
https://forums.revor...d-command-v103/

He was the first...

#7 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

I used that, link was in original post. However, I used it on the extracted 2.02 files and not the stock game files, like he did (2.02's balance is far superior). I've been messing around with it and now I get a duplicate macro error for create_a_hero_attribute_multiplier. I'm trying to find the duplicates...

Edited by SamTheManWithThePlan, 15 March 2021 - 02:33 PM.

#8 Miraak5

Miraak5

title available

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

well like i said i did it on 2.02 myself and it worked perfectly fine
u must have made an error somewhere or got bad luck, but if it worked for me it should work for you too

Edited by Miraak5, 15 March 2021 - 05:38 PM.

He was the first...

#9 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

I fixed the macro errors, but it still just crashes on the splash screen. I think I'll try starting from scratch. What files from the 2.02 bigs did you extract?

#10 Miraak5

Miraak5

title available

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:14 AM

i extracted 8.00 (since it have all 2.02 files, older not needed), then i extracted 8.1 8.2 8.3 and 8.4
then i went through the guide and it was working well

He was the first...

#11 SamTheManWithThePlan

SamTheManWithThePlan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

i extracted 8.00 (since it have all 2.02 files, older not needed), then i extracted 8.1 8.2 8.3 and 8.4
then i went through the guide and it was working well

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I tried extracting and macro fixing the 8.0 (and newer) and it did not work. I may have done something wrong (I can't remember, this was a couple weeks ago) so I'm going to try again and get back with you.

Edited by SamTheManWithThePlan, 05 April 2021 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users