• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NDC

NDC
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 04:32 AM

Hi Fellow Modders!

Please welcome the new version of Enhanced W3D Importer, W3D Importer 2.0, which can now handle both BfME1 and BfME2 animations.
In the process of coding it I benefited greatly from the work of the team developing the OpenSAGE engine (a free open-source re-implementation of the SAGE engine used in our beloved series). They have cracked the format and added a decoder for it in their scripts written for Blender in Python. W3D Importer 2.0 uses their findings to re-implement decoding and processing BfME2 animations in 3dsMax using MaxScript.

Quite a few BfME2 animation sets are already available as part of the long-lasting conversion project, and I will continue to upload cleaned animation sets there, but at least now everyone will be able to access the full range of BfME2 animations without the need to wait for me. Here is the link:

W3D Importer 2.0

Happy modding!

Best wishes,
NDC

Edited by NDC, 08 November 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#2 NDC

NDC
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:46 PM

Here is the full changelog:

W3D Importer 2.0:

- Full support for decoding and processing BfME2 animations!
- The ability to bind automatically a skin to the bones not only using the wwSkin binding, but also the native 3dsMax skin modifier - this way a model can be imported to, and worked with in, newer versions of 3dsMax (note that exporting a model back as a .w3d file would still require importing it to 3dsMax 8 first, as w3d exporting tools have not been updated to be compatible with any of 3dsMax's newer versions);
- If you wish to convert multiple w3d files to max files, the 'Batch processing' option is now available to that effect - just locate the target folder when prompted, and the script convert all skn files in the folder to .max files, keeping of course the originals and placing converted files in the same folder;
- Note that the 'Split by dependencies' option has been deprecated: its purpose was to pull apart building chunks in BfME2 building destruction animations, but this is accomplished anyway by binding a building's skin to its bones - if you find the feature useful though, it can still be restored - just let me know;

Enhanced W3D Importer (W3D Importer 1.11):
- Imported BFME2 structures now retain their UV map;
- Meshes can be split by dependencies upon import;
- Imported meshes can retain their binding upon import, meaning that you can make edits (move vertices, edit UV mapping, apply new textures) without having to rebind the model before exporting;

Edited by NDC, 07 November 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#3 Lusta

Lusta
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 08:35 PM

Hi

I wanted to try it, but can't download it. (404 Not Found)

(Lusta means Lazy)

my mod beta is linked here

#4 NDC

NDC
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:19 PM

Hi

I wanted to try it, but can't download it. (404 Not Found)

Hey Lusta! Oh, right - thanks for flagging that up!
Now it should work!

#5 Lusta

Lusta
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the respond.

It is working now. I will test it later.

(Lusta means Lazy)

my mod beta is linked here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users