angmar submod subfaction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raptor6

Raptor6
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 02:48 AM

I am very new to modding, in fact I actually haven't started any mod work yet. I don't have 3Ds Max, but I do have Blender and hopefully with the right plug-ins this will be all I need to get started on developing my modding skills.

But for now I just wish to share my rough draft for a sub-mod of Age of the Ring.

Angmar was once a dark domain that loomed over the north of Middle-Earth. It was the kingdom of the Witch-King, the Lord of the Nazgul, who came to Angmar to establish his campaign to destroy the kingdom of Arnor. His dominion consisted of a diverse gathering of orcs and men, and other creatures from across the north, or possibly from elsewhere.

His reign was short lived though, for even after his triumph of over felling Arnor, an army of men lead by Prince Earnur, eir to the throne of Gondor itself, together with Glorfindel and his army of elves defeated the Witch-King’s army, and he retreated back to Mordor.

But even after Angmar fell, and the Witch-King fled, over the next thousand years, under the vision of the free peoples of the West, Angmar slowly but surely began to rebuild its strength; and by the time the dark lord, Sauron returned to Mordor along with all nine of his Nazgul, the fires of Carn-Dum itself too had been rekindled. Orcs had already been repopulating the Misty Mountains, and all manner of beasts and monsters have been prospering there as well as in Rhovanion, and even the cold confines of Forodwaith, and the darker corners of Eriador; and men too have been gathering up in the north, under the banner of the Witch-King’s crown.

The Witch-King did not return to reclaim the throne however, for he along with the other Nazgul had business elsewhere. Instead he entrusted his kingdom to his most devoted followers, back in his campaign and since.

Going by the prologue, In this sub-mod, this version of Angmar would be a poster child to the Witch-King’s reign to better fit with the timeline of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings for the Age of the Ring Mod. By the time 8.0 comes it would probably be a subfaction to Haradwaith, partly because it's pretty much a replacement for Vanilla Angmar from ROTWK

The main theme of the Angmar subfaction is the influence of magic, and its (albeit twisted) spirituality and connection with nature, which may’ve been how the Witch-King’s domain came to exist in the first place. This is what helps Angmar stand out more as a faction, even if it is a subfaction.

Here is a rough draft of my buildings and units so far

Screenshot 2022-10-30 192309.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-30 192347.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-30 192406.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-30 192425.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-30 192441.jpg

Admittedly the roster does appear to be pretty chaotic, but after some testing I'll probably have to move some if not most of the units to other factions or even incorporate them as inn units.

I know I'm biting off more than I can chew here. It will be a lot of hard work, especially the modeling, animating, and eventual coding; and especially since I have ADHD, but it'll give me a chance to push my boundaries as a creator.

I'll try to showcase my actual modding skills as soon as I can Is the idea of an angmar subfaction appealing or not? Any units I should remove, or even replace with? Or should I just scrap it all together?

I'm always open to feedback.

#2 Raptor6

Raptor6
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:06 AM

Concept prose for the Thrall Masters of Angmar

Thrall Masters will get somewhat of an overhaul

They will still recruit hillmen spearmen and ax throwers, but two of the other thrall units will be replaces

Instead of Gundabad Orcs, Angmarrim tribal pillagers will be the Thrall infantry, comprised of local men and women of Angmar, loosely based off the “Angmarim” from LOTRO: Shadow of Angmar. They would serve as a spam unit to harass enemy economy.

And the thrall cavalry will be the “Elk Riders” in place of the Wolf Riders. They would also be lightly based of LOTRO’s angmarim, and will fill the niche of their light cavalry. They’re cheap, but can be easily lost to enemy pikemen, so like with the spiders of Don Guldur it’s best to recruit at least 30 of them to make them more effective against enemy infantry and archers.

Never the less the main purpose for both units is merely to distract enemy units while so stronger units get more time to spawn.

#3 Raptor6

Raptor6
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:00 AM

Dol Guldur Units - LOTR Era (Occupied by Mordor) (An idea a friend of mine suggested, as what the LOTR era Erebor is to the Hobbit era)

Units:

. Slave Farm:
Broken Rabble - Enslaved men and women of rhovanion who are forces to work the slave mill or harass enemy economy 

. Orc Gaol:
Orc Rabble
Orc Gaolers
Orc Hunters
Uruk Ravagers
Tomb Guards

Spider Lair
. Fell Brood
. Spider Riders
. Saenathra's Sister

Twisted Menagerie (In place of the Fount of Corruption)
. Black Wolves
. Forest Trolls (Similar function to Snow Trolls)
. Spawn of Telvido (A big cat unit with the same function as the Angmar's Wolf Matriarch)
. Guldur Bat

The Hall of Khamul
. Northman Assassins (Mercenaries from Rhovanion with a similar function to the Corsairs)
. Black Easterling Oathsworn Warriors/Shadowguard - Khamul's personal militia of Easterling swordsmen
. Balchoth Mystics/ Sisters of Razari - Easterling sorceresses who practice the dark arts of Razari 
. Fallen Vanguard/Khamu's Shadowknights  (Heroic Cavalry unit similar to the Morgul Vanguard.)

Tower of Sorcery
. Harbingers of Shadow
. Banshees
. Children of Thuringwethil (Vampire men and women who are similar in function to the Blades of Galadriel)
. Armoured Castellan

Restless Barrow
. Greenwood Undead
. Mound Dweller
. Unburied Wights

Heroes:

Khamul - Taking the lead hero role from the Necromancer, so he'll function more like in the Rhun Adventure map than the Hobbit era DG
Razari - A Balchoth witch from the lands of rhun
Zog the Eternal - An orcish Necromancer from Minas Morgul, and leader of the cult of Targaroth. He's been granted the power to summon his fallen orc brethren from the dead
Saenathra - Largely unaltered from the original DG
Nauroth - A black warg from Eriador. A powerful matriarch and devoted follower of the cult of Angmar
Nordor the Huntsman - A dark horseman from the high fells of rhudaur, who rides and hunts the wilderness of Rhovanion
Agzokkar - The ghost of a Black Numenorean warrior who once served the Witch-King back in Angmar.
Moriel - A mentally broken she-elf of Lothlorien, who's been enthralled by Sauron to sing songs of ruin and power to strengthen his armies in Rhovanion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users