Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 09 December 2022 - 11:45 AM

The lasers are warmed up and my annual annihilation of deep space TV trash is ready for... liftoff?  Whatever.  My analogy is about as good as these shows.

#5 - The Walking Dead (season 11)

2Q.png

What's worse than 11 seasons of a show about unshowered people aimlessly walking around Virginia?  Apparently four other things from this year.  Our survivors band together for one last hurrah: giving inspirational speeches, falling in love, hogtying stormtroopers, and uncovering the corruption of the Common Wealth.  What do any of these things have to do with killing zombies?  Keep your dumb questions to yourself and watch this mansion blow up for no reason.  The series is done but three spin-off shows were announced, so these future "worst show" lists are probably going to be clogged with those.

#4 - The Book of Boba Fett

2Q.png

Action!  Adventure!  Romance!  This show has none of those things.  The Book of Boba Fett is what Blazing Saddles would look like if it wasn't funny.  The biggest badass of the galaxy hunkers down in his sand palace and spends the rest of his days getting his ass badly beaten, wondering what it would be like to have a jetpack to escape these situations.  "Doesn't he have a jetpack, Pasidon?"  Shhhh.  Don't look at that.  Just enjoy nice shiny Star Wars bobble.

#3 - The Witcher (season 2)

images.png

Netflix's social experiment to see how many people it can upset continues.  Let's... not focus on the weird armor.  Or the crappy visuals.  Or the generic high-fantasy tropes.  Or the soggy dialogue.  Or the writing.  Or the actors who all look like Axe Body Spray models.  The remaining 3 minutes of content would probably put it just above Book of Boba Fett.

#2 - Halo

images.png

The other show about the guy who should never take off his helmet.  Halo is (in theory) based off the Halo games, telling the "action-packed" journey of a man who had a childhood and is special because his dad beat him for drawing pictures of a triangle.  The star-studded cast, breathtaking visuals, and groundbreaking storytelling will blow you away.  No.  Really.  It will blow and you will go away to watch something else.

#1 - The Rings of Power

Z.png

This is what a midlife crisis looks like for billionaires.  The kingdom of Middle-Earth is in peril!  Several people scattered over several different regions (possibly close to each other (possibly in Middle-Earth)) band together (sometimes) and fight against the rising evil: ... uh... Sauron?  Tidal waves?  Source material?  A legion of possibly 12-1000 orcs?   And there's some sort of magic ... stuff... in mithril that will... cure... trees... and... Adar, who is... a guy who's not happy about... trees?  And... Numenor is is danger!  And we need rings of power to stop... uh... bad... big ears... things... and... ... Evil.  Season 2 is in production, so see you again soon, Rings of Power.  All that is gold does not glisten and all that is crap does not always flush.  

#2 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,197 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 11 December 2022 - 06:43 PM

My 2000th post is going to be opinionated based on my perspective...

I can think of worse shows than those five.
But this list I heavily disagree, with the exception of the Book of Boba Fett. That show looks more like The Mandalorian Season 3, Boba Fett is just a redundant series.

The Walking Dead series finale is a bummer without a cameo of Rick, not much of an epic 24-episode final season and a tedious one at best. Who came up with the idea of stormtroopers against zombies anyway?

Halo winds up like The Mandalorian. The mask doesn't stay on all the time though. Such an expensive show that deserves some TV airing time rather than sticking around on Paramount+.

The Rings of Power, not sure what direction it went through (and obviously not by the book) and a weak casting too, though my interest in Morfydd Clark looks like a mix of Nina Boldt and Gwyneth Paltrow. Also an expensive show that deserves some TV airing time.

The Witcher obviously doesn't go by the book and the games are better than the web series itself, but it's better to watch than nothing. Too bad it won't end up successfully like Game of Thrones or House of the Dragon. Even the main character decided to go back as Superman amid doing his other spy franchise.

All the revivals of CSI, Law & Order, Quantum Leap and other shows (including NCIS and FBI spinoffs) deserved to be somewhere in my top 10 worse TV list, because that time has come and gone when TV is nearing extinction. And SWAT, 9-1-1, The Masked Singer and America's Got Talent aren't doing too well either. Those shows have gotten way side-tracked. And I was glad Westworld was cancelled.

And still hoping for Pasidon to have an opinion on House of the Dragon, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Pokemon Season 25 where Ash finally won his first world championship.

If I want my worse ten TV shows for 2022, here's mine:

1) Pokemon (Season 25) -- (that time has come and gone like the Simpsons and season 25 should have been the final season -- the time when Ash would have won it all would be the one in season 10)
2) Westworld (glad it was cancelled -- way off track with the plot, characters and futuristic timing)
3) The Book of Boba Fett (cough, cough)
4) Quantum Leap (saw the first episode and was like, how did an asian actor got so lucky doing that part during the time of TV extinction, should have seen that a decade ago)
5) Andor (should be a movie instead of a miniseries, even Obi-Wan Kenobi looks better than Andor)
6) CSI Vegas (series should stay dead, that was so 2000s, and the new casting was sub-par)

7) Law & Order (series is so 90s and many main characters are either retired or passing and when's the series finale?)
8) Survivor (just end the scripted series god damn it)

9) The Bachelor (just end the scripted series god damn it)

10) Dancing with the Stars (no one likes Tyra Banks hosting and the show went to Disney+ instead)

Edited by PurpleGaga27, 11 December 2022 - 07:14 PM.

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 12 December 2022 - 11:13 AM

So, the criteria I use for these lists is usually based around budget.  Of course there are worse shows than these, based on a more content-centric criteria, but I find lower-budgets a good excuse for worse content.  What's Rings of Power's excuse for its bad content?  It's the most expensive show in the world.  It had every resource and opportunity to be good.  So why did it turn out so bad?  I dunno, but it is, and it's an embarrassing effort.  Stuff like CSI and Dancing With the Stars is obviously bad, but... they didn't have a 1 billion dollar budget.

I really liked House of Dragon and actually enjoyed Pokemon: Ultra Journey (so far).  Are the final episodes even out for that in English?  Haven't seen them (thanks for the spoiler by the way).  The Cyberpunk show I have not seen.  I might still.  And Obi-Wan was almost put on this list, but it was contending with She-Hulk and Walking Dead.  Pretty close race between those three to get the 5th spot.  Should have made it top 10 worst shows to fit them all in

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 12 December 2022 - 11:13 AM

And congratulations on the 2000 posts.  Finally catching up to me.

#5 PurpleGaga27

PurpleGaga27

Retired C&C Modder

• Members
  • 2,197 posts
  •  Media Division Top Contributer

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:53 PM

So, the criteria I use for these lists is usually based around budget.  Of course there are worse shows than these, based on a more content-centric criteria, but I find lower-budgets a good excuse for worse content.  What's Rings of Power's excuse for its bad content?  It's the most expensive show in the world.  It had every resource and opportunity to be good.  So why did it turn out so bad?  I dunno, but it is, and it's an embarrassing effort.  Stuff like CSI and Dancing With the Stars is obviously bad, but... they didn't have a 1 billion dollar budget.

I really liked House of Dragon and actually enjoyed Pokemon: Ultra Journey (so far).  Are the final episodes even out for that in English?  Haven't seen them (thanks for the spoiler by the way).  The Cyberpunk show I have not seen.  I might still.  And Obi-Wan was almost put on this list, but it was contending with She-Hulk and Walking Dead.  Pretty close race between those three to get the 5th spot.  Should have made it top 10 worst shows to fit them all in

Netflix has been very slow to release the English dub versions of Pokemon, so don't expect new episodes to come by very soon. Almost everyone is catching up with the original Japanese version with subtitles.

#6 JeannieThiessen

JeannieThiessen
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:18 AM

Yes i agree with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users