-mod command in Windows 10 troubleshoot bfme2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 roguewombat

roguewombat
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:33 PM

Hi, apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I haven't seen this specific issue addressed in regards to Windows 10 (Running patch 1.06) and wanted to know if I'm missing anything.

It appears that adding [-mod "C:\path\to\mod"] to the Target field of the properties -> shortcut tab is not causing my mod's .ini files to load at runtime. I'm new to modding, and am following the following tutorial: https://www.the3rdag...?apage=849#page

I completed up through the 5th page in the above tutorial, and decided to run the game just to make sure my mod was being loaded in correctly. Initially, the game started fine, but I couldn't see my custom hero. I read here that I need to delete ini.big from the install directory in order to use the -mod command, but that just results in an Exception saying the game isn't able to load 'Data\INI\Default\SubsystemLegend.ini'

To make sure I didn't do something stupid in the .ini files when I was making my hero, I extracted ini.big to a fresh directory (Using FinalBig editor), verified that this file exists in the "../data/default/" directory, then tried running the game again (My target field in properties was now: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -mod "C:\Mods\MyModName"). This resulted in the same error, which, since I had made no changes yet, seems to indicate an issue with how I am linking my mod .ini files to the main game files.

I imagine simply editing the files directly with FinalBig would work fine, but obviously I would rather figure out how to get the mod command working if possible. Also, apologies if everything was fine the first time I ran the game and I just wasnt far enough in the tutorial to see anything in-game/ I don't need to delete ini.big. Was trying to check my work and verify everything's ok before adding custom code and complicating things further

EDIT: I tried to run a known, finished mod from t3a in order to make sure the ini files I'm using aren't corrupted, and got the same exception when I tried to run the game, which makes me pretty confident that the issue is with the -mod option in the Target field

Mod link: https://www.the3rdag...tem-536?addview

Attached Thumbnails

• mod_screenshot_2.png
  • mod_screenshot_1.png

Edited by roguewombat, 05 January 2023 - 07:42 PM.

#2 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 13 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

New to modding ,so I assume this is your very first attempt at setting up a -MOD file

i don’t have the PC , so I will reply a bit later with more details 

for now , just try these steps 

1. Ensure fresh install of BFME2 , then update to latest official patch 

2. Run the original to ensure no issues 

3. Use FinalBig and extract ALL , …of the INI BIG file into a folder named MOD , saved on your desktop 

4. Copy the file path of the MOD folder , and set the target as you know , the path of the MOD folder is shown when you open the MOD folder and check file path on windows 

-mod “xxx-everything here- as windows displays it 

5. Try to run from new shortcut … it should give no errors 

6. Now change some small detail , NOT in the Gamdata.INI , never in that file e.g Aragorn health to 20000 

7. Run and see if the changes apply 

I will post later a screen shot of my own MOD folder setup , which is saved on my desktop for quick changes  

it works fine for Win7 , Win8 , Win10 and Win11

Edited by JUS_SAURON, 13 March 2023 - 12:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users