Amazing Ideas

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:31 AM

Ok, they may not be amazing, but now you're reading the thread- fool!

Anyways, I loves Siegemod for BF42, even with the not-so-good graphics and the real simple gameplay (run, kill, die, spawn etc) there was something about it that was amazing. My friends and I always play it a LAN parties, if you'll permit my use of hyperbole.

I had a bunch of suggestions for the Siege team that I sent a while ago, some of them sucked in retrospect, and some, I think, were good. I'll just ctrl+v the whole thing, so be warned, there may be some stupid in it.

On second thought, it's too long, I'll just add ideas:

Armor for each class should play a role in how fast and how hard each class is to kill. "g" should pick up the whole kit (and armor) like in Siegemod.

Poinard should be in the game, basically it only stabs, and does a lot of damage if you get up close.

A torch that can be used (ineffectively) as a club but mainly serves to burn other siege engines/castle doors

grappling hook (loaded on a bow) that once fired onto a higher ledge allows the unit to climb (only one shot). If the rope actually stayed on the wall/ledge for a while as a ladder, that would be cool. (basically how it works, it there's an animation of the rope, if it hits a ledge it makes a ladder with a rope model that goes straight down)

Is there going to be gunpowder? Or the Chinese? Because early deployable cannons (basically crappy mortars) would be a cool thing to have. And explosive barrels

A secondary weapon that is a longbow with flaming arrows that deal damage to siege weapons (and wooden structures?)

Caltrops -> hey! they have them in BFV regular. If you make horses, the caltrops should also harm them.

Wagons with horses that you can drive that carry medical stations, ammo and serve as mobile spawn points.

Battering Rams and Siege weapons that move faster when you have more people pushing them and do more damage when more people hold the ram (well, that's just the ram)

Also since BFV lets you shoot with your weapon while "riding" in a passenger seat, it would be pretty awesome with horses, you could be a lancer, a calvary swordsman or archer depending on what class you chose. This would be a big + from Siegemod

I'l have more soon.

#2 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

funny you sould mention some of these things... we are planning on havin a lot of them in game.

-armor: there will be armor for different classes, affecting how easy they are to kill, speed, and how much they can swim

-torches will be ingame to help burn down siege weapons and houses

-assasins will be able to climb walls, kind of like a grappling hook.

-the mod focus on europe and the middle east, so there will be no chinese, however we will have gunpowder and hand cannons.

-flaming arrows will be part of the game

-supply wagons and mobil spawns will be part of the game

-siege weapon will take a full team of 3-4 people to operate effectivly. this means shooting, reloading and moving will all occur faster with more people in the weapon, this is to promote teamwork.

-you will be able to use mellee weapons on horses.. such as lances, flails, axes, swords etc.

there, hope i answered some of your questions and your idea requests ;)

#3 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:28 PM

No caltrops? I mean, you don't even need to make them, just steal them from BFV regular.

Sounds amazing though. I mean, siege was good and I had a lot of suggestions for bettering the game and it looks like you have them.

I was wondering, is it possible to have third party bots? like there's the Brits and the Franks on one team, and them some peasants that are bots. Is it feasably possible? Could you have things like vehicles that you can't get in, move around in an area, attacking people?

#4 commando

commando
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:37 PM

I was wondering if we could have prisoners on the ships. because if you ever played the new conflict in somalia mod for BF142 there are army soldiers doing pushups and they are not really fighting and if you kill them your points dont go down. So I was thinking for future releases we could have static soldiers in the brig of a ship or that would be cool if someones points were down really low they had to go to the brig. thats not really in there but it would be cool if it was.

Commando

#5 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:14 PM

well from what commando says it sounds possible. I also know that one of the wwII mods.. (cant remeber if its FH or XWWII) has a thing where bombers periodically fly over the combat zone for effect.. and they fly in formation and stuff and its really cool. So i am sure it would be possible to have peasents in villages and random vehicles and stuff.

#6 Airibis

Airibis
  • New Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:15 PM

DCMaps were able to make camels (sucked at walking) that would just walk the streets, and if you soot and kill one, or run it over, they die.

CIS has civilians walking around, and US guys doing pushups, you can kill these people and they die.

So for my thing, I say wild chickens and civilians walking the streets, so the brutal knights can pillage a village

#7 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:45 PM

Yes, but the question is can you have these people basically be bots and fight? Is it even possible for someone to change BFV to simply make a map with three teams, one being bots- I mean, the AI is all there. And if so, could you do it for DoC?

#8 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

yeah , but if we were to include things like peasents in the game they would just stand and walk around.. having a third literal team that just randomly fights you is like.. meh.. i would rather stick to fighting other actual people.

#9 lathow

lathow
  • New Members
  • 27 posts
  • Projects:Storys and conep art for game ideals.

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:15 AM

well, in insurection 1776, the offier will control a few npc's in line battles, witch will be good in that game. but i donno about npc's in this one other then single player if theres one planed. i also like just fighting real people..bots seem to have 100% accuercy with guns in most games, and it would just piss off alot of people too.

#10 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:46 AM

yeah i always hated then when i tried BFV with bots... you could be creeping through the bushes on a hill where a real person would never see you, but a bot shoots you down with an m16 from a mile away

#11 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:21 AM

yeah i always hated then when i tried BFV with bots... you could be creeping through the bushes on a hill where  a real person would never see you, but a bot shoots you down with an m16 from a mile away

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually that's a bug. In patch 1.1 bots can't see you through foliage. And the bots in DoC would be harder to make since they don't use ranged weapons most of the time. I just think it would be cool to have NPCs like barbarians running around while the franks and brits duke it out. The third party wouldn't have any points and couldn't take them, they'd just walk around killing or being killed. It would certainly make the game more lively. In addition, I am sick of all these so called "mods" for battlefield, all they are are new skins, models and tweaked weapons. I want a mod that actually modifies the gameplay more than a simple few new vehicles.

#12 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:41 AM

hah, well i assure you doc will be more than just some new vehicles and skins. were revamping gameplay and and combat systems to make it an entirely new game for you to play that you wont get bored with easily :p

#13 lathow

lathow
  • New Members
  • 27 posts
  • Projects:Storys and conep art for game ideals.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

even in 1.2 they still get you. Mahtan_Luinwe, i dont think your looking in the right areas and expect too much from games, with time and effort such as mods like DoC PoE ect, they will have incredbilty enhance gameplay with new fecures to the game, as DoC is allmost a total conversion. that means it will praticely be nothing like battlefield vietnam. if DoC team did deside to make bots, it would most likely be a later version after there 1st few releases.

#14 Anti

Anti
  • New Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:07 AM

Lathow, you're talking about 1.02, he's speaking of 1.1, the first full patch that will come out. It will resolve that bot issue along with other things. 1.01 and 1.02 were just fixes because of small bugs that were found. And maybe just having an occasional attack from some barbarians could be fun lol.

#15 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:06 AM

I dont think your looking in the right areas and expect too much from games, with time and effort such as mods like DoC PoE ect, they will have incredbilty enhance gameplay with new fecures to the game, as DoC is allmost a total conversion. that means it will praticely be nothing like battlefield vietnam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all BF mods so far, (except possibly Empires), you

1) capture a point you spawn in that area
2) spawn with a weapons kit that you choose, from an area you choose
3) Can only control yourself
4) Only have one other opposing team
5) Can in no way enhance your weapons or vehicles

These basics make all BF mods essentially the same. While I admit Galactic Conquest has space battles while DC has big city battles, the basics are still the same. In GC, DC, FH, etc I am basically playing the same game, except there are different strategies and balance issues.

Pirates mod looks like it may change the game a bit (with the sharks that attack you in the water and komodo dragons) but it still is the same.

Let's look at a comparison of another game

Half-life Original

1) You pick up weapons and armor
2) Match is continous until mapchange or time limit
3) You spawn randomly
4) You win with the most kills

Counter-Strike

1) You buy weapons and armor
2) Round ends when objective is completed or all members of one team die
3) You spawn randomly within your teams designated spawn points
4) You win when your team wins

Natural Selection

1) well... this is going to be a long list, just check out this site to see how different NS is from BF -> http://www.natural-s...ual_Framed.html

Half-Life Rally

You race rounds, get money, upgrade cars

Now, I'm not saying DoC has to be this earthshattering mod that blows all these mods that go into mod history, but I'm just saying, I'd much rather DoC come out with e crappy version 0.1 that has not-so-good models and little vehicles, as long as it is something different, because then I know it the following versions it will be an original and great game. I can wait until the second, or third or even fourth release until DoC gets all balanced and tweaked up to be really good; but usually once I find out the mods are just like the rest I stop waiting, because I just don't care anymore.

#16 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:27 AM

Here was an idea I had:

Castle mode.

4 teams:
You
Them
Barbarians
Peasants

Objective:
Capture the Castle
Or Destroy it

How:
Kill the King
Plant a new king

And Where is he:
In the Throne Room

Only one person can be a King, he has only a dagger
Once the king is placed he simply sits stangnant on the throne and goes into "commander" mode (like in NS or Empires) all the peasants will "work" and give the team "money" which the king can use to buy new weapons or base defenses. Less peasants = less money

The Barbarians attack anyone unless you rescue their leader from the Castle prison (basically like a hostage in CS) and bring him to the "rescue point" (ie: the Barbarian spawn point. Then the Barbarians only attack the other team. Only the team not controlling the Castle can get the Barbarians.

People not in the Castle have to destroy the Castle or control it for a certain amount of time to win. To destroy the Castle they use Siege weapons that spawn in the outer spawn points.

This is just a rough draft and frankly I don't expect anyone to listen to it, but at least I got it out.

#17 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:42 AM

we actually arent going to use the default game modes.. in fact we are getting rid of them compltley. New game modes will include war, siege, assination and ravage. However the detail I dont believe i am allowed to discuss :p

oh and btw mahtan, that idea you came up with sounds like siege, war and assination rolled up into one game mode :huh:

we have also looked into different ways of class selection.. such as a buying menu system instead of predefined classes. However looking into things more carefully with the features we have , it doesnt seem like it work well. For example, a player choses the general class for the power of the lance and heavy armor, and with it they get things like droppable spawns or flags to help out the team. However, if it was a weapon select thing.. who would want to to waste one of their selections on something like a flag to help out the team when they could choose a portable mangonel instead?
We are also looking into commander like functions (perks for the general class) like being able to call up maps and assign waypoints and such that the rest of the team can see (BFVs 3d map works beautifully for this)
Things like an actual working armor system and shields and different types of attacks will also improve the mellee system so its not just whoever swings first wins, there will be some stragedy involved in it. We have a lot of features to make us stand out from the rest of the crowd, however i dont know how many features i can divulge without stealth getting mad at me :p

Edited by Combat Shotgun, 16 July 2004 - 05:53 AM.

#18 Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe
  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

Oh my god, there is a god!

You guys are the best.

#19 Combat Shotgun

Combat Shotgun
  • New Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:42 PM