#1 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:51 PM

I've been thinking about a simple mod for HL2, called 'Deathmatch Island'.
Based lossly around Battel Royal, the player spawns with a random weapon in a random location. If you're lucky, you spawn with a AK47 and can go hunting. If you're un-luck you spawn with a knife and have to sneek around in the bushes untill someone else comes along. Killing happens untill there's 1 last person standing, who is the winner.
because the starting weapons are random, you might be able to play gun-ho or you might have to sneek- this should give some nice gameplay.

There might also be a Teams mode, where 2 teams fight untill the last man. This means lucky person with the AK47 can cover his team mates as knifers jump from behind walls. Team mode sound alot like CS to me, which is not a bad thing.

If HL2 physics are good enough, the players might be able to do some sneeky traps, like pushing boxes onto poor people below. Using knifes to cut ropes on bridges- i loved doing that in my HL1 maps ;)

To give the mod extra appeal, there will be some sexy (3D) models. This will keep dead players intrested while thay wait for the next round in freecam/observer :laugh: :grin:

#2 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

Mmm, liking it so far, like alliance idea too.
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#3 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:13 PM

Good gameplay and sexy women?
A revolution is upon us.

#4 Tratos

Tratos

title available

• Project Team
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:06 PM

I've been thinking about a simple mod for HL2, called 'Deathmatch Island'.
Based lossly around Battel Royal

At last, someone else who has seen this fantastic film. I think this mod sounds like a great idea.
Posted Image

#5 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:57 PM

There are 2 other BR mods in production for HL2. I had good conversations with both of them about hosting- alas, both were hosted by there friends and the lure of a 'game-mod.net' domain was not enogh.

This is only loosely based on BR. There wont be any danger zones or exploding neck braces.

The only way people will notice its BR heritige is the Japan schoolgirl models :p

#6 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts
  • Projects:Heh! You're not going to ask me that question.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:04 AM

Heh if you're going to do something like this I'll see about AI.. that AI in HL2 is probably the best one on the market and I'll sure as heaven look into it..
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - ReGeneration

"Not the faintest clue =\"

-ComradeJ

#7 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:03 PM

:p I had not thought of AI at all. The tradition of FPS never having any AI is wrapped round my mind.

#8 darknes53

darknes53
  • New Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

The AIs look great in HL2...fix them up for this kind of battle and it'd be fine...

#9 Chronologic

Chronologic
  • Project Team
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:56 AM

One of my ideas (which are usually all I have about modding, as I'm too damn lazy) is including options to let players use the original HL2 weapons or new sets based on whatever your imaginations come up with. I'd even go so far as to hawk some kind of tool to let them create their own sets of weapons, as it'd be fun to mix all the different kinds up, no?

Options for unlimited ammo, ammo on the ground (like standard DM) or a set number of clips of ammo would be useful, too.

Including some AI bots would give newbies something to frag, or keep it interesting for a lone player on an otherwise empty server.

As long as you have sweet maps the idea will work exceptionally well.

Edited by Chronologic, 16 July 2004 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:36 AM

In BR thay were given bags with food, water and a weapon in. There will be some food around the map, but no ammo.
I think each round will take about 4mins. Any longer and the poor newbies who die right at the start will leave. The player has to make his ammo last for 4mins or find a new weapon.

#11 Chronologic

Chronologic
  • Project Team
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:06 PM

I say that as many options as possible with sensibly set defaults will work best. It's just been my opinion that the best way is to give options to users. After all, who knows what they really want?

Yes, I know that reading the bitching in support forums helps, but for every bitcher there will probably be 5-9 non-bitchers who agree with them, or have gone off the mod because of a certain comething they don't like.

#12 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:29 PM

:huh: There's not much to this mod. One of the main points is random weapons. If you give people the option, that would all go for the AK47- making it usless.

This almost like the reverse of balancing a mod. In this mod you either have the advantage or a disadvantage. You have to use your mind to overcome the people with better weapons.

I decided there will be BR style neck braces. This gives the time limit more reality. If your not the last person standing in 4mins, you die.

#13 Chronologic

Chronologic
  • Project Team
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:17 AM

I don't mean to provide weapons on the ground, but a generalistic ammunition pickup for the weapons that require it, if an option is checked on configuration and fewer clips of carrying ammo, gives those armed with knives a better chance to jump them while they're out of ammo and trying to find ammo. I don't mean that these ammo pickups will be common, but they should exist if the option is checked.

Bash functions would be cool.

Neck braces will be fun.

#14 darknes53

darknes53
  • New Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:35 PM

I like the random weapons more, that way, noone can become reliant on one weapon...
Besides, the AK would be the loudest thing on the island...hunting...
The timelimit/neckbraces is funny.

#15 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:50 PM

If i have the neck bands it might be over stepping the copyright for Battle Royal. The next best thing would be a watch. This way the player can see how much time he has left. Once the time runs out, the watch injects the player will poison, slowly killing them.
This could lead to some interesting last stand moments. Where the player is willing to risk everything to kill his enemies in vengeance for making him lose.

Survivor Island might be a better name for this mod :ohmy:

#16 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Then the makers of Survivor might get on your ass :ohmy:

#17 darknes53

darknes53
  • New Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:10 AM

What words CAN you use and not have someone get on your case about it? :ohmy:

#18 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

Then the makers of Survivor might get on your ass :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've not seen the movie Survivor.

#19 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:01 PM

Or the American TV show I would guess... In general though, titles are not copyrightable. However, they can be trademarked. I think you would be okay with Survivor Island though.
:p
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#20 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:20 PM

Survivor was played over here too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users