119 replies to this topic

#1 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts
  • Division:Ex - Network Leader

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Changes are in red. Judges; note that judging scores have changed due to the perfect normals discovered earlier this year.

Rules:
1. Files made will be checked for authory, so entries of work from other people are invalid.
2. Adding every .vxl and .hva and any TurretOffset= tag if appliable is a must.
3. Voxels can either be based upon concept art or your own design. If you base it upon a concept art, and you explicitly say so, show the concept art too, so accuracy can be evaluated (it will only be judged for Originality or for Accuracy -see below- so be sure to weigh this when making your entry).
4. All the voxels submitted are made for public, so beware not to send any exclusive graphics, as from the point theyre submitted you have agreed they will be available
5. The entries dont need to be realistic nor merely fictional. Of course not abstract either. Dont limit yourself to show your creativity. However, dont be Picasso.
6. Only one entry per person is allowed, and you cannot edit it after you submit it, or you will be disqualified (Exception, you sent the wrong version of it, i.e: no normals, or no color)
7. All files must have remaps, visible clearly from every facing
8. Voxels that are rated more than 60% go to YrArg
9. Voxels that are already out cannot be entered.

Submission:
Submission will be done through PM on Revora, to the THREE of the judges, so they can view the voxel before deadline terms.

Judgement:
We are looking forward to have three or five judges that respond to various forms of making voxels. Currently Clazzy, Mooman65 and Major Gilbear are judges.

Submissions will be judged for:
A) Originality / Accuracy: Depending on if you base yourself on a provided concept art or not, youll be judged by one or the other. 25
B) Normals 20
C) Coloring 20
D) Technical Competence : Which includes modelling, HVA, etc... 35

Results will be announced on the main CNC Guild.net page, as well as on YR Argentina and any other places where this is posted, either on news pages or the announcement thread

Prize:
The winner will gain:
+ Public acknowledgement of his victory on as much places as possible -those who want to post news on their sites about it, feel welcome-
+ A Competition Banner saying Voxeler of the Month (CNCG Month 2004)
+ Additional 2500 credits on its CNC Guild account
+ The voxel will be featured as Winner of the competition in YR Argentina as a unique download in goldern letters and background.

Closes on August 31th -Lasts 45 days-

Let´s get it on!

Margret Thatcher - Fenring's the one for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#2 Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

God-Emperor of Dune

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:40 PM

Textures? There are no such things in vxls... :laugh:

#3 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

Um, use of coloring + modelling for detail might fit that best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

God-Emperor of Dune

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:15 PM

Well, that is under C) Colour... :p

And Technical competence is for evidence of more advanced techniques as well as the overall 'polish' of the vxl...

Even allowing for the new normals, I still think that the current system is fine. I mean, detailing is better done by hand, and normals come out better in a 3d model. I reckon it evens out.

#5 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:29 PM

Not if colors is worth 5 pt less than Normals (thats why i evened it). See, whomever does it in 3D has 25 points from the start without effort. Whomever does it in VxlSe, canhave twenty with effort.

Think of those 5 points as an equaliser of possibilities. Those who use 3D to ensure 20 points on normals, will have to go VxlSe for corrections on detail. Its just to prevent 3D models from beating VxlSe models, just because of being 3D. 7 points between hand-made and perfect is a bit much, taking into account the last GP was won by a margin of 0,3 ; and that the first was 3D and second not.

We can continue to talk about this, but ima competitor in this one, so im in no position to impose rules. I had talked that one with Kal before stepping down...however, if you want the scores to go back to usual, just tell and ill edit that back (Just wouldnt be fair to take the effort of correcting autonormals for just 2 points, if you get what i mean)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

God-Emperor of Dune

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:13 AM

Well, yeah, but just because normals are 'perfect' now doesn't mean that there is no skill in applying them. It is perfectly possible to apply Bglmans's normals to a 3DO and still score less than 100%.

I would suggest:

A ) 25
B ) 20
C ) 20
D ) 35

Since that way a competent vxl could score high 60's with some work, but to get a really good score would require something extra (hence the higer points allowance in (D) category).

I didn't really want a whole debate on this, I just wondered why the rules had been changed thus.
I think that a bit of tweaking in how many points the categories are worth might be more suitable than making new (and overlapping) categories. Afterall, if categories overlap, then you award points for the same thing twice or more...

#7 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:24 PM

Is it just me or is the "Voxel Editor 2.1 Open GL" much better than Voxel Editor 3. I just can't get over how different the two programs are. I just can't do without that 3D viewer anymore.

Anyway back to the competition. I've now created my backup Voxel, which turned out to be too small and i can't be bothered to enlarge it. :p

In the next few days i should of completed my final piece. I will give everyone a screenshot once i know all the judges know its my voxel. :laugh:
Posted Image

#8 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:24 PM

Fair enough, Gilbear. Changed it to your suggestion :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#9 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

Is it just me or is the "Voxel Editor 2.1 Open GL" much better than Voxel Editor 3. I just can't get over how different the two programs are. I just can't do without that 3D viewer anymore.

The 3D Viewer from VXLSE III is not working very well... I mean, it works until you loose focus or deactivate the window... then, it's a pain in the ass to reactivate. But the normals from VXLSE III are much better than II 2.1. Same for the pal pack support. Also, the interface is a bit better. But the II still have some functionalities that III doesnt have...even the III 1.1a (latest version)
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#10 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Projects:Novus Ordo

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:55 AM

I've noticed that TS normals aren't very good in III. They seem to be better in previous version.
Posted Image

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again... - Pink Floyd

#11 Yurisarmy

Yurisarmy

Struggling for spare time

• Hosted
  • 320 posts
  • Projects:Yuri's New Terror: Armageddon, Advance Wars 2: Yuri's Revenge Rising, Galaga: Gamma Invasion, The Cold War, Battlezone, The Custom Voxel Project
  •  Lurking in the Dark

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:53 AM

With VXL SE 3 the normals on my voxel comp entry looked much better.
Posted Image
Now on ModDB!

#12 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:29 AM

I've noticed that TS normals aren't very good in III. They seem to be better in previous version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yer there crap, I don't see why they should be tho :) I mean aren't they using the same auto-normals system as in vxlse2?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 spider-man_2099

spider-man_2099

title available

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

I won't be able to make it this comp guys, sorry
Posted Image

#14 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

I'm too busy to enter this month too BTW

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

I can make it, but i've decided to enter my backup Voxel.
I'm quite busy doing bit and bobs for my Half-Life Mod at the moment. But i havn't forgotten you guys :)

I'll send my entry to the judges within the next few days.
Posted Image

#16 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

Well, there will be others, so :). We can always hold a big one after this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#17 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:31 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yer there crap, I don't see why they should be tho :) I mean aren't they using the same auto-normals system as in vxlse2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. It uses the perfect normal values found by bglman for normals of type 2.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#18 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:43 AM

Well there not "perfect" so something is wrong some were :) I guess/hope this is a beta problem & will be sorted for the final version...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:45 PM

Never mind who isn't doing this VGP. Who is?

I know that the following people are:

Xeno (Me)
Argcmdr
MadHQ (unconfirmed)

Call me stupid :) but i only count 3 people...
Posted Image

#20 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:41 PM

Id bet Mad will enter...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 user(s) are reading this topic