Scout M8 Greyhound
In 1941, the US Army requested a new design for a wheeled Gun Motor Carriage as part of its new Tank Destroyer Force, and the requirements that were established included a rotating turret with a 37mm gun. By June of 1942, various prototype designs had been eliminated from the design competition, and a 6x6 configuration was selected. Designated at that time as the T22E2, this design was destined to became the US Army's most often seen armored car in WW II, the M8 Light Armored Car.
In its original configuration the new M8 was extensively used by Mechanized Cavalry units, replacing the aging M3A1 Scout Cars that had been in service for almost a decade. When the British were provided with their first M8s through Lend-Lease, they named it "Greyhound" due to its speed. The M8 was produced in great numbers, entering into the US Army inventory in early 1943. The M8 in this US Army photo is in the town of Gaeta, Italy, in May of 1944.
Dimensions: 5.08 x 2.56 x 2.26 (h) mt
Weight: 7.73 tons
Armament: 1x 37mm M6 cannon, 2x 7.62mm MG, 4x Carbines, Grenades, Smoke pots
Propulsion: Gasoline Ercules JXd, 110 hp
Speed (Max): 100 km/hr
Armor (Max): 20mm
Repair vehicle M32 ARV
The development of a M4 "Sherman" based Tank Recovery Vehicle (TRV) was authorised in April 19, 1943. The "T5" series vehicles were to be fitted with a fixed turret, a simple "A" frame crane and a 60.000 pounds capacity winch. All the major variations of the M4 were considered for modification: M4, M4A1, M4A2, M4A3 and M4A4. These were to become the T5, T5E1, T5E2, T5E3 and T5E4 pilot TRVs respectively and, following their standardisation, the M32, M32B, M32B2, M32B3 and M32B4, Tank Recovery Vehicle. The first M32 variation to roll out of the assembly line was the diesel powered M32B2 (M4A2 based): Lima Locomotive Works built 26, from June 1943 to August 1944. Pressed Steel Car Company began production of the cast hull M32B1 (M4A1 based) in December 1943 and built a total of 475 vehicles by the end of December 1944. In addition, Federal Machine and Welder built an unspecified quantity (November 44 - May 45) and Baldwin Locomotive Works, 185 vehicles (November 44 - June 45).
Dimensions: 5.93 x 2.62 x 2.11 (h) mt
Weight: 28 tons
Propulsion: Gasoline R-975 C1, 400 hp
Speed (max.): 38 km/hr
Armor (max.): 85 mm
Medium tank M4A4 Sherman
Initially known as the T6 Medium Tank, the M4 "General Sherman" would go on to become one of the most important and most produced tanks of WW2 and was only out produced by the Soviet T34. Seeing battle on all fronts and in a plethora of forms, the tank would become one of either fond or awful memory to the soldiers who handled it. Often misused and asked to handle tasks usually assigned to heavy tanks in other armies because there was nothing else available.
Dimensions: 6.16 x 2.67 x 2.79 (h) mt
Weight: 30.7 tons
Armament: 1x 75 mm Gun, 1x MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Chrysler A-57, 425 hp
Speed (max.): 39 km/hr
Armor (max.): 85 mm
Tank destroyer M18 Hellcat
In early 1943 a requirement was given for a light weight, high speed tank destroyer armed with a 76 mm tank gun. By July 1943 a prototype was adopted and production started. Fastest AFV of World War II. Low silhouette, well slopped. Used by tank destroyer battalions in Europe. It had a center guide track, torsion bar suspension, and an automatic transmission. Two escape hatches in the hull roof and in the floor. It was intended to be used in an ambush roll with its quick speed.
It first saw action in the Summer of 1944 in Europe. One unit to use it quite effectively was the 630rd Tank Destroyer Battalion in July 1944 reported destroying 53 Panthers & Tigers and 15 self propelled guns with only a loss of 17 of their M18s.
Dimensions: 6.65 x 2.87 x 2.57 (h) mt
Weight: 17.7 tons
Armament: 1x 76.2mm M1A2 cannon, 1x 50 caliber MG HB M2
Propulsion: Gasoline Continental R-975 C1, 400hp
Armor (max.): 25 mm
Speed (max.): 80 km/hr
Infantry killer/AA M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage
The U.S. half-track was first used in the Philippines where several initial design problems arose. The suspension was modified for increased reliability, but one of the main criticisms, the lack of overhead armor, was never changed throughout the life of the vehicle since the added weight decreased mobility. After the surrender of Bataan, several half-tracks were utilized in the Japanese army. In North Africa the half-track was improved with heavier road wheel springs and heavier springs for the rear idler. During the battle of the Kasserine Pass, several half-tracks were captured and used by the Germans. At the time of the invasion of Sicily, the half-track had settled into its role as an armored infantry transport vehicle that was able to deliver infantry closer to the battle since they were less vulnerable to rifle fire. The vehicle would hold supplies and infantry field equipment, leaving the infantry unencumbered by heavy field packs. The half-track was highly mobile and could follow tanks quite easily, unlike trucks which were more at home on the road. The half-track was often criticized as too lightly armored, but this could partially be attributed to abuse of the vehicle. Some units used the half-track as an armored assault vehicle which was not its role by design. The M2 and M3 half-tracks, the machine gun/armored personnel carrier versions of the vehicle, were widely used in the European theater. The German SdKfz 251 half-track was similar to the American half-track. The 251 had better armor protection, but the U.S. half-track had superior mobility with more horsepower, a driven front axle and a ditch roll. Half-tracks were also used as gun motor carriers or gun carriages, the most common being the gun motor carriage (tank destroyer), the Howitzer motor carriage, the mortar motor carriage and the multiple gun anti-aircraft motor carriage. The tank destroyer version of the half-track was marginally successful and eventually was replaced by the Sherman chassis based tank destroyers such as the M10. The M16 quadmount version of the half-track proved very successful and became the standard light anti-aircraft armored vehicle. Over 30,000 vehicles were produced during the war.
Dimensions: 6.5 x 2 x 2.26 (h) mt
Weight: 8.45 tons
Armament: 4x 50 M2TTHB machine guns
Propulsion: Gasoline White 160AX, 147 hp
Speed (max.): 72 km/hr
Armor (max.): 12 mm
Artillery M7 B1 (Priest)
Based on experience with mounting 105 mm howitzers on half-tracks the US Army wanted a fully tracked version. Used a modified M3 Medium or M4 Medium tank chassis. Upper hull was modified to hold a 105 mm howitzer in the front. A drum-like cupola was added on the right side to hold a .50 cal MG. Two prototypes were built and designated T32. Had an open superstructure with a M1A2 105 mm howitzer installed to the right of the center. It was accepted and standardized as the M7 HMC in February 1942. Was declared Substitute Standard in January 1945. Production models had modified shields and a cupola for the AA MG. 105 mm had velocity of 1,550 ft/sec, and range of 12,205 yards. The MG compartment looked like a pulpit and was nicknamed "The Priest" by the British.
Weight: 22.6 tons
Dimensions: 6,19 x 2,54 x 2,87 (h) mt
Armor (max): 62mm
Speed (max): 40 km/hr
Engine: Ford GAA 450 hp
Armament: 105mm M2A1 L/22.5
Heavy tank M26 Pershing
Developed as the successor of the M4 Sherman at the end of WWII was a tank that finally promised to hold up against the wrath of the German Tiger I and Panther tanks of the German army. This tank, which was on the forefront of the mechanized combat technology of its time and reigned supreme in the world of armor, was the U.S. Medium Tank M26 Pershing. The Pershing was first deployed to the European front on February 1945 as part of the effort to invade the German homeland. The M26 Pershing engaged Tiger I and Pz.kpfw. IV tanks during the fight to cross Hohenzollern Bridge over the Rhine. The battle in which the M26 Pershing showed particularly critical influence, was that of the Ludendorf Bridge in Remagen. In this offensive, five supporting M26 Pershing tanks rained shells onto the opposite side of the river bank, paving the way for ground troops who moved in to seize the bridge. The Pershing, of which 200 were used against Germany until its surrender, was also deployed to the front of the war in the Pacific. From November 1944 until June 1945, a total of 1190 units were produced. The Pershing was well balanced for defense with its 127mm thick armor and for assault with the sheer firepower of its M3 90mm gun. Equipped with a Ford GAF liquid cooled gasoline engine and torsion bar suspension, this tank exhibited incredible mobility. As such, the M26 served as a model for the designs of the M46, M48, and M60 tanks.
Dimensions: 8.65 x 3.51 x 2.78 (h) mt
Weight: 41.9 tons
Armament: 1x 90mm M3 Gun, 2x Besa 7.92 mm MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Ford GAF, 500 hp
Speed (max.): 48 km/hr
Armor (max.): 127 mm
Super heavy tank T95/28 Gun motor carriage
The T28 "Superheavy Tank" is the heaviest armored vehicle ever produced by the United States ... about 95 tons. Designed
late in WW-II as an assault vehicle to penetrate fixed German defense positions such as the Siegfried Line, the T28 carries the thickest armor ever fitted to an armored vehicle, some of it well sloped. This is more like battleship armor than tank armor! The German's famed 88 mm would be nearly worthless against such a vehicle. The T28's turretless design saved a LOT of weight, which allowed much heavier armor to be fitted. Since the vehicle was designed for frontal assault, a full rotating turret was not needed. The gun did have limited traverse in the hull, allowing some freedom of target choice without turning the whole vehicle. The gun itself was a very-high velocity 'long' 105mm. Compared with even the 90mm in the T26 Pershings, this was a powerful weapon; and was sufficient to 'crack' most any target the T28 might encounter. While large, the T28 is smaller than a German 'Maus'. The Maus was designed as a real 'Tank', with full rotating turret, and heavy armor all around. The price it paid for this was an astonishing weight of about 180 tons, with corresponding lack of mobility, transport problems, and overloaded drive components! The T28, on the other hand, was a special purpose vehicle, with much heavier armor (admittedly only on the front and sides), yet far less overall weight. As an assault vehicle, the T28 was formidable. Low and squat, it presented very little target, and what did show was almost impenetrable. Only plunging artillery fire and anti-tank mines would much have bothered it. True, the T28 was slow, but this was not overly important for it's designed purpose. Alone, in open country, the T28 could be easily avoided or outflanked, but it was not envisioned to use in such a situation.
Dimensions: 11.12 x 4.55 x 2.85 (h) mt
Weight: 85.5 tons
Armament: 1x 105mm high velocity gun, 1 x .50 Browning MG
Propulsion: Gasoline Ford GAF, 410 hp
Speed (max): 12.8 km/hr
Armor (max): 300 mm
Multi barrel rocket launcher T34 Calliope
The Calliope consisted of a 60 tube 4.6" rocket projector mounted on a frame above the tank turret. It could be jettisoned if neccessary. While mainly seen fitted to the M4A1 it was seen on other models of the M4.
Dimensions: 6.16 x 2.67 x 2.79 (h) mt
Weight: 30.7 tons
Armament: 1x 75mm L3 gun, 60x 114.3 mm rockets
Propulsion: Gasoline Chrysler A-57, 425 hp
Speed (max): 40 km/hr
Armor (max): 75 mm
Fighter North American P-51 Mustang
Arguably the best single-engine fighter of World War II, the American-built P-51 was developed to British specifications as a long-range fighter to escort bombers on raids over Europe. It quickly became one of the most popular fighters among American pilots, as well. It was the remarkable product of two advanced technologies: that of the American aeronautical industry which managed to create an airframe that was extremely advanced both structurally and aerodynamically in just 117 days; and that of the British motor industry, which provided the ideal complement in the form of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. Many of the 15,367 aircraft produced survived WWII and remained in service until the Korean War, and many examples can be found today.
Wing span: 11.1 mt
Lenght: 9.69 mt
Height: 4.14 mt
Weight (max): 5445 kg
Propulsion: 1x Rolls-Royce Merlin V-1650, 1695 hp
Speed (max): 699 km/h
Service ceiling: 12570 mt
Armament: 6x 50-caliber MG
Bomb load: 900 kg
Interceptor Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
Affectionately nicknamed "Jug," the P-47 was one of the most famous AAF fighter planes of WW II. Although originally conceived as a lightweight interceptor, the P-47 developed as a heavyweight fighter and made its first flight on May 6, 1941. The first production model was delivered to the AAF in March 1942, and in April 1943 the Thunderbolt flew its first combat mission a sweep over Western Europe. Used as both a high-altitude escort fighter and a low-level fighter-bomber, the P-47 quickly gained a reputation for ruggedness. Its sturdy construction and air-cooled radial engine enabled the Thunderbolt to absorb severe battle damage and keep flying. During WW II, the P-47 served in almost every active war theater and in the forces of several Allied nations. By the end of WW II, more than 15600 Thunderbolts had been built.
Wing span: 10.39 mt
Lenght: 9.19 mt
Height: 3.76 mt
Weight (max): 7875 kg
Propulsion: )1x Pratt & Whitney R-2800-59, 2430 hp
Speed (max): 692.8 km/h
Service ceiling: 12600 mt
Armament: 8x 50 cal. MG, 10x rockets
Bomb load: 1125 kg
Air transport Douglas DC3 Skytrain
Few aircraft are as well known or were so widely used for so long as the C-47 or "Gooney Bird" as it was affectionately nicknamed. The aircraft was adapted from the DC-3 commercial airliner which appeared in 1936. The first C-47s were ordered in 1940 and by the end of WW II, 9,348 had been procured for AAF use. They carried personnel and cargo, and in a combat role, towed troop-carrying gliders and dropped paratroops into enemy territory. After WW II, many C-47s remained in USAF service, participating in the Berlin Airlift and other peacetime activities. During the Korean War, C-47s hauled supplies, dropped paratroops, evacuated wounded and dropped flares for night bombing attacks. In Vietnam, the C-47 served again as a transport, but it was also used in a variety of other ways which included flying ground attack (gunship) , reconnaissance, and psychological warfare missions. Under the name Lisunou Li2, the Russians built hundreds of them under licence and the Japanese did the same after the war.
Wing span: 28.5 mt
Lenght: 19.35 mt
Height: 4.83 mt
Weight (max): 14850 kg
Propulsion: 2x Pratt & Whitney R-1830s, 1200 hp each
Speed (max): 371 km/h
Service ceiling: 7335 mt
Bomb load: N/A
Bomber B-17 G Flying fortress
Flying Fortress bombers were the mainstay of the USAF bomber force during the second world war. Eighth airforce aircraft flew sorties over German occupied Europe from bases in England, while over in the Pacific theatre they were hitting Japanese targets. The design started life from a requirement for an anti-shipping bomber in 1934, the prototype for which flew in mid July 1935. The first major production version was the B-17E in 1941 these introduced the large ventral fin and increased the defensive armament to 13 guns, 512 of this mark were manufactured. Early models included the B-17C, some of which were fired upon by American gunners when they attempted to land at Pearl Harbor of Dec 17th 1941. The Fortress I was powered by four 1,200 hp Wright R-1820-65 engines and was armed with seven 30 caliber guns. Among other models, Boeing built 3400 of the B-17F model and 8685 of the B-17G. At peak production, the Seattle plant rolled out 16 aircraft in 24 hours.
Wing span: 31.6 mt
Lenght: 22.6 mt
Height: 5.80 mt
Weight (max): 29250 kg
Propulsion: 4x Wright R-1820-97, 1200 hp each
Speed (max): 462 km/h
Service ceiling: 10680 mt
Armament: 13x cal 50 Mg
Bomb load: 8000 kg
Turbojet fighter/interceptor Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star
The Shooting Star was possibly the best Allied jet fighter to emerge from World War II (called the P-80 until after WWII), however, like the other Allied jets it was too late to be used in combat. Several were flown around Italy late in the war, but they never saw the enemy. The design was launched in June 1943 using the de Havilland H.1B turbojet. In an incredible feat of engineering the P-80 was designed, built and flown in 143 days. The P-80 had a fairly conventional design apart from the jet engine and laminar flow wing. It first flew in January, 1944. The power plant was soon changed to the Allison turbojet. This aircraft was a sleek, low-wing monoplane with tricycle landing gear and all round canopy visibility. The P-80 version with an improved wing, began to enter service in January 1945, and a total of just 45 of this variant had been delivered before the end of the war. Production plans for 5,000 aircraft were cancelled, but the development of more improved versions continued production to 5,691 aircraft. The dual seat trainer version, the T-33 is one of the world's best known aircraft, having served with the air forces of more than 20 different countries for almost 40 years. Many are still in use throughout the world. The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage slightly more than three feet to accommodate a second cockpit. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. By the time of the Korean war the F-80 was being supplanted in the role of the American front-line fighter by the F-86 Sabre, however, the Americans sent the F-80s to Korea in the mistaken belief that they could do the job. They didn't count on the strong opposition from Russian MiG-15s. Sabres were sent to Korea to protect the B-29 bombers and the Shooting Stars were relegated to the ground attack role with support from F-86s. They excelled at this role due to their good performance at low altitudes and their ability to carry a reasonable tonnage of bombs.
Wing span: 11.81 mt
Lenght: 10.49 mt
Height: 3.43 mt
Weight (max): 7646 kg
Propulsion: 1x Allison J33-A-35 turbojet engine, 2041 kg
Speed (max): 967 km/h
Service ceiling: 14265 mt
Armament: 16x 12,7 mm MG
Bomb load: 2x 454 kg
Bomber Northrop B-35
The B-35 was the first of the Jack Northrop (1895-1972) designed flying wing bombers. The advantages of a flying wing format were perceived as providing both low drag and high lift, which meant that the XB-35 could carry any weight faster, farther, and cheaper than conventional aircraft. The first XB-35 took off on its maiden flight on June 25, 1946. Having virtually no fuselage, the cockpit located on the front of the wing edge, four, twenty-eight-cylinder radial engines housed in very thick swept wings, each powered two counter-rotating four-blade propellers aft of the trailing edge, through a complex system of drive shafts. The United States Army Air Force originally ordered two experimental, thirteen service test, and 200 production models. However, only three airplanes ever took flight. Development of the B-35 eventually gave way to a jet-powered version, the B-49. In the late 1940s, speed was of the essence in bombers, and the Flying Wing was not built for speed.
Wing span: 52.4 mt
Lenght: 16.18 mt
Height: 6.1 mt
Weight (max): 46940 kg
Propulsion: 4x Pratt&Whitney R-4360-17/21, 2950 hp each
Speed (max): 630 km/h
Service ceiling: 9000 mt
Armament: 16x 12.7 mm MG
Bomb load: 18700 kg
Destroyer Porter class
At the same time, roughly, that the Farragut class was designed, requirements for a destroyer leader were circulated among the Bureaus. The main problem which these ships were to deal with was the lack of available light cruisers to aid the other destroyers in their torpedo attacks; the main mission of the new leaders would be to use their gun armament to break through the enemy screen and allow the following destroyers to do likewise. In May 1928, an initial design was proposed, which developed through the following years and culminated in an August 1930 request by the Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet, for development of such a leader. By late 1930, the unanimous opinion of the fleet was that a large destroyer was needed to take over some of the duties of the preferable, but hard-to-get, light cruisers. The European war soon indicated that heavier anti-air weaponry was needed by destroyers, but all plans for modifying the Porters to hold dual-purpose mounts turned out initially useless for a lack of such mounts. In 1941, the heavy after superstructure and main mast were removed, seriously altering the appearance of these ships. The removal of the heavy fire-control equipment allowed for the installation of two 20mm and another 28mm mount, and the addition of a Mk3 (FC) fire-control radar. Also removed were the containers for reserve torpedoes.
Displacement: 2840 tons
Dimensions: 114.33 x 11.1 x 4.17 (lenght x beam xdraft) mt
Propulsion: 4x boilers, 2 turbines, 50000 shp
Speed: 36.4 knots
Main Armament: 5x 136mm cannon
Secondary Armament: 2x 533mm quadruple torpedo tubes
AA: 2x 40mm twin guns, 1x 40 mm quadruple aa mounts
Submarine American Tench class
The submarines of the Tench class were an improvement over the previous Gato and Balao classes due to better interior machinery and ballast tank arrangements. Twenty-five were completed for the United States during, or immediately following WWII, though most never made a war patrol. Of the twenty-five completed, only two, TORSK and REQUIN, still exist within the United States. Several were sold to foreign countries and may (though not likely) still be in limited service. As the war progressed, modifications to the tower and equipment were commonplace. Removing much of the plating on the periscope shears and near the cigarette decks reduced the boat's silhouette and decreased the time it took to submerge. Due to the many alterations at the different shipyards, no two boats looked alike at the wars' end. Hull colors changed during 1943 (?). In an effort to reduce their detection from both surface ships and aircraft, the original "lamp black" color was changed to "ghost gray" (submarines at periscope depth were often visible from the air in a black hulled boat). Even the periscope tips were painted "pink", many believing that this color took on the hue of surrounding area.
Displacement (max): 2416 tons
Dimensions: 93.6 x 8.1 x 4.95 (lenght x beam x draft) mt
Propulsion: 4x Diesel Fairbanks Morse, 5400 hp, 2x Electric motors, 2740 hp
Speed (max): 20.25 (surfaced), 8.75 (submerged) knots
Main armament: 1x 150mm deck gun, 2x cal 50 MG
Secondary armament: 10x 630mm torpedo tubes (6 bow, 4 stern)
AA: 2x 40 mm cannons
Landing Craft Tank Mk VI (LCT6)
LCTs were the Navys all purpose general duty vessel. Besides carrying tanks ashore they were used for many different purposes. Some were converted and equiped with guns, others with rockets, while still others served as minesweepers. 26 MK5s were designated LCT(A), armored. Armor was added to these LCTs to allow them to go into the Normandy beachhead with the fire power of two tanks. At wars end all MK5s were disposed of while the MK6s were redesignated as Utility Landing Ship LSU in 1949 and redesignated Landing Craft Utility LCU, 15 April 1956. The LCT-6 was an improved LCT-5 designed to permit stern loading and better living accommodations. Three watertight sections that were carried disassembled on decks of larger ships or carried assembled on a LST deck were methods of transporting these craft. It has the capacity of four medium up to three 50-ton tanks, or 150 tons cargo. This craft is full hull so that it may fit on LST decks.
Displacement (max): 255.6 tons
Dimensions: 35.73 x 9.84 x 1.5 (lenght x beam x draft) mt
Propulsion: 3x Grey Marine Diesels, 3x propellers, 675 shp
Speed (max): 10 knots
Main Armament: 4x cal.50 machine guns
Secondary Armament: N/A
AA: 2x single 20mm AA gun mounts
Crew: 14 + 150 tons cargo
Battleship Iowa class
At 45000 tons standard displacement, the six ships of the Iowa class were the U.S. Navy's first new World War II era battleships whose design was not encumbered by treaty limits. They were a new type for the Navy, the "fast battleship", intended to protect aircraft carriers against the threat of similar Japanese "big-gun" ships, as well as to form a "fast wing" for the traditional battle line. Though the even-larger Montana class were designed and ordered, four of the Iowas were the last battleships ever completed for U.S. Navy service. They were also arguably the Navy's most successful battleship design and certainly had the longest service lives. Built under Fiscal Year 1940 (BB 61 & 62) and 1941 (BB 63-66) appropriations, the Iowa class were much longer, more powerfully engined and considerably faster than the preceding North Carolina and South Dakota classes. The first two ships, Iowa (BB-61) and New Jersey (BB-62), were completed in the first part of 1943, and served through the rest of the Pacific war in the roles that had become normal for battleships by then: screening fast carrier task forces against air and surface threats, occasional shore bombardment, standing ready to haul into line of battle if the Japanese battle fleet should present itself, and providing flagships for tactical commanders. The second pair, Missouri (BB-63) and Wisconsin (BB-64), whose construction was somewhat delayed by other wartime priorities, came out to the Pacific during the war's last year. The conflict formally ended on Missouri's broad decks.
Displacement (max): 59331 tons
Dimensions: 266.19 x 32.46 x 11.37 (lenght x beam x draft) mt
Propulsion: 8x Babcock & Wilcox 3x drum express "M" type boilers, 4x sets General Electric geared turbines, 254000 shp
Speed (max): 33 knots
Main Armament: 9x 406.mm/50 Mk7 cannons in 3 triple turrets
Secondary Armament: 20x 127mm/38 cannons in 10 twin turrets, 3x Vought OS2U Kingfisher floatplanes
AA: 80x 40mm/56 cal Bofors in 15-20 quad gun mounts, 60x 20mm/70 cal Oerlikons in single mounts
Armour: 125 mm (deck), 309.88 mm (side), 431.8 mm (turrets), 444.5 mm (control tower)
Aircraft carrier Yorktown class
Probably one of (if not) the best pre-WWII aircraft carrier in the world. These three ships were an enourmous help to the USN in the dark days of the Pacific war. Enterprise escorted Hornet for her famous launching Jimmy Doolittle on April 1942. Yorktown, in company with Saratoga class CV Lexington turned back the Japanese invasion fleet bound for Port Moresby, New Guiena. The Japanese sank Lexington and severely damaged Yorktown while they lost light carrier Shoho. Yorktown, after hightailing it back to Pearl, was hurridly repaired in time for Midway. There, these CV's and a handfull of CA's and DD's held the line against the IJN, sinking CV's Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, and Soryu along with heavy cruiser Mikuma while we only lost battered Yorktown, leaving the US with only 3 aircraft carriers in the pacific. (Enterprise, Hornet, Wasp). The latter two were lost in the Solomons and the Big-E was damaged several times. After the war, Enterprise was, sadly, scrapped.
Displacement (max): 19800 tons
Dimensions: 243 x 25 x 6.53 (lenght x beam x draft) mt
Propulsion: 9x Babcock & Wilcox express type boilers 4x Westinghouse geared turbines, 120000 shp
Speed (max): 34 knots
Main Armament: 8x 127mm DP guns
Secondary Armament: 24x cal 50 MGs, 70-100x aircrafts
AA: 16x 28mm pom-pom cannons in 4x quadruple turrets, 24x 40mm Bofors in 6 quad mounts, 40 x 40mm Bofors in 6 quad/8 twin mounts, 44x 40mm Bofors in 11 quad mounts, 24x 50 cal HMG, 50x 20mm Oerlikons (all single), 32x 20mm Oerlikons (16 single,8 twin)
Armour: 152.4 mm (flightdeck), 101.6 mm (side), light (conning tower)
Landing Ship Medium (Rocket) LSM®
A total of five hundred fifty-eight Landing Ship Medium (LSM) and Landing Ship Medium (Rocket) (LSM®s were built during World War II. They serviced in the Asiatic-Pacific theater, and in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The LSM®, Landing Ship Medium Rocket, were designed to support amphibious landings by providing close-in fire support using their primary battery of rocket launchers. The LSM® was a modified LSM, equipped with eight to ten twin 127mm automatic, continuously fed. rocket launchers. Each launcher was capable of firing thirty spin stablilized rockets per minute.
Displacement (max): 1175 tons
Dimensions: 61.08 x 10.38 x 2.37 (lenght x beam x draft) mt
Propulsion: 2x General Motors (non-reversing with airflex clutch) diesels, 1440 hp
Speed (max): 13 knots
Main Armament: 1x 127mm/38 dual purpose gun mount
Secondary Armament: 20x continuous loading 129mmm SS rocket launchers, four 101.6 mm mortars
AA: 2x twin 40mm gun mounts, 4x twin 20mm gun mounts
Armour: N/A (deck), N/A mm (side), 40 mm (turrets), 20 mm (control tower)
Field Howitzer M2 155mm "Long Tom"
The 155mm heavy gun, nicknamed "Long Tom" could fire a 43.09 kg projectile upwards of 23211 mt with high accuracy. The gun is so long that if the trunion, which effects the raising and lowering of the rifle, were put at the center of balance, the breech of the gun would go into the ground whenever the muzzle was raised high. The solution is to put the trunion farther back, and to make the gun easy to raise and lower by hand by substituting mechanical balance for natural balance. The equilibrator does the mechanical balancing. In 1940 a modernization program was started with over 3,000 guns. They received a new carriage with pneumatic tires, and were redisignated 155mm gun, M2. The M2 was the backbone of heavy artillery in World War II.
Caliber: 155 mm L/45
Barrel weight: 4352.29 kg
Length: 7.37 meters
Weight of the projectile: 43.09 kg
Muzzle velocity: 853 meters per second
Range: 23 211 meters
AA gun M2 90mm
The requested 90mm caliber was the highest possible while allowing a manual reload (beyond, the shell became too heavy for human arms). The "90mm T2" was standardized in 1940 as the 90mm M1. The production had reached 2000 examples by February of 1942 and the 90mm gun could become the standard US heavy antiaircraft gun during the war. It left the assembly lines at a pace of several thousands a month.
Although it was not as good as its German and British counterparts, it proved a good weapon, especially when it was used in conjunction with radars and proximity fuse. It was the heaviest US antiaircraft gun to be used outside the American hemisphere. It was used at the divisional level and aslo contributed to the defense of strategic locations, among others Antwerp, attacked by V 1 in the fall of 1944. The most common variant was the 90mm M1A1, standardized in 1941
Caliber: 90 mm L/50
Length with the carriage: 9.01 meters
Length: 4.50 meters
Width: 4.16 meters
Height: 3.07 meters
Weight of the projectile: 10.61 kg
Muzzle velocity: 762 meters per second
Ceiling: 12040 meters
AT field gun 3-inch M5
The US 3inch M5 anti tank gun was an improvisational design based on the 3in M3 AA gun, using the undercarriage of the M3 105mm howitzer. it was used exclusively in tank destroyer battalions, with four guns (towed by M3 halftracks) per platoon.
A total of 2500 were built before production ended in 1944. By that time, most US tank destroyers were SP units.
Caliber: 76.2 mm L/50
Length: 4.02 meters
Weight of the projectile: 7.94 kg
Muzzle velocity: 792 meters per second
Range: 14715 meters
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users