#1 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:17 AM

I've been seeing some nice sunsets the last few days, so i thought i'd get the cam working and take some pics.

I take 1 pic of some Bread saying "New Improved", which is silly. If it's new, it's new - not improved. If it's improved, it's not new, as there needs to be a base for it no improve opon. This was just a test. I take another pic of my desktop (see SSF).

I plug the cam in and it says "There are 0 images in the camera" ...
Not unexpected, as i've not installed the drivers.

I install the drivers and somewhere during the install it says "A newer version of this file exists, do you wish to overwrite?" and i do the silly thing of clicking YES. I think *thats ok, i had to do that to make the scanner work*.

I plug the cam in again and it still says 0 images. I look in the cam's mini screen and click some stuff. I find that it's set to light testing mode and auto deletes the images after it takes them. I turn this off and go take another pic of the Bread and my desktop.

sadadad.jpg :dry:

dsfsdf.jpg :p

Suddenly a pop up saying "Messanger Service: I'm 29 and sexy, visit me at ####" arrives in my face. Which is strange, as i hvae a firewall... .. or i had a firewall. It seems to have became switched off.
Hackers me indeed!1! :umad:
I go to turn it back on. The page with the V tick box is replaced by a message saying "windows management instruments are corrupt, please use system restore". I don't have system restore, to much bother.
:sleep:
It dawns on my that the cam has overwriten an important file.

I then look to se if windows has a log of recent files, so that i can copy the right files back from my other comp. It turns out that the 'windows management instruments' controls the logs, so i can't see the files. Bah :dry:

I then search the internet (while getting poped) for the file, but all i find is help pages saying "use system restore" :p

I then get the XP cd to re-install windows on my new hard disk. Something i have been meaning to do for a long time. I goto dos and tell it to install. It restarts its-self and says to me "NO SYSTEM DISK INSERTED" :dry:
For no reason, it wont make the code system files the comp needs to start.

I go back to my old hard disk and concider re-using this, risking loosing some files. I notice XP has an 'upgrade' option, which i run out of curiosity. It then goes on its own mission to upgrade from WinXP to WinXP. I let it work its way and i now have WinXP (again).

Since this afternoon my comp has became broken, re-installed, and reveived. Yet, nothing has changed. My desktop is still the same as it was yesterday.

Oh well, serve me right for not having system restore switched on.
*checks that system restore is off and not using resources*
Good.

The more things change, the more thay stay the same.

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:36 AM

Gotta love computers and the fun things they do to you...
:p
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Remora

Remora
  • New Members
  • 58 posts
  • Projects:getting into uni!!

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

i only have to look at my PC funny to have it shout at me about some cataclysmic failure...or some doo-whacky attached to the thingymabob which isnt working.

oddly enough, restarting always fixes it.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:04 AM

Funnily enough when I reinstalled XP the first messenger service pop up was one telling me how to disable them, not actually recommending a program just telling you how to do it from the control panel.

#5 Azure

Azure
  • New Members
  • 11 posts
  • Projects:Foreseen Eclipse, Tiberian Euphoria

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:06 AM

^^ That was me... Guest posting pisses me off to no end. :p
Posted Image

#6 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:54 AM

My pc is currently ok, except to... turn it on. It's a kind of a terrible exercise of patience that I have to suffer every single day. To turn on the computer I take between 2 minutes to even an hour just to the BIOS appear. Why? I still havent found the true cause behind this, but my power supply and my mother board are the main suspects at the moment.

When I press the power button, I depend on the good mood of my motherboard to turn on. Depending on the way I press the damn power button, the motherboard turn on, turning off few seconds or milisseconds later, but the power light in my tower is still turned on, so I have to manually turn off the tower... if I'm lucky enough, the mb doesnt turn off and I become able to use my computer. Does anyone has any idea of what causes that? Video card is fine is well attached and I tested the memory and it hadnt affected that at all... this happens since I updated my Duron 950Mhz (1.6v) to my Athlon XP 2000+ (1.65v). I have a GeForce4 MMX 440 SE, 2 CD drivers (one burner and other just reads, 2 hard disks (maxtor 120gb and quantum 40gb), 1 thermaltake cooler and one tower cooler + one that is already in the motherboard (Soyo K7-VTA Pro) and one from the power supply (450W). Other than that, I have a network card, a soundblaster awe64 isa, a USB card (since USB from VIA sucks heavly and doesnt work properly with my joystick) and IR mouse. I know it's a quite heavy system, but my power supply used to have no problems with it when I had the Duron.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#7 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts
  • Projects:Heh! You're not going to ask me that question.

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

An hour just to see the BIOS eh? Could be many things, I've had one case where you just had to reset the CMOS and everything worked fine.. another case with the same problem was that the RAM was screwed up (not to be taken wordly)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - ReGeneration

"Not the faintest clue =\"

-ComradeJ

#8 technobreakit

technobreakit
  • New Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

It takes about five minutes to start up my computer, when it gets to the user login screen for XP it likes to restart itself and if you get past that then running any programs may cause it to sit back and reset itself! Once it starts nicely however, it runs fine, but boy does it make startup fun.

#9 HighGround

HighGround
  • New Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:50 PM

my computer is working fine as always. i always have system restore on rather usefull feature for when a moron aka a friend touches my computer.

and since we're talking about computer boot times, mines 50 seconds exactly from cold

#10 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts
  • Projects:Heh! You're not going to ask me that question.

Posted 31 July 2004 - 08:48 PM

FIFTY seconds to The-HDD-LED-Is-Idle ? That's quite good..
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - ReGeneration

"Not the faintest clue =\"

-ComradeJ

#11 Dark Dragon

Dark Dragon

>.<

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:54 AM

mines 27 seconds from boot time GG

#12 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:02 AM

I don't know about the rest of you but i would say that Details room is a stereotypical "computerite" computer desk. :)

Slightly messy, but comfortable mess. With all the neccessary things to make a computing experience somewhat bairable. ^_^

I don't want you to think i'm pulling your workspace apart. Hell, mine just the same. If not worse :grin:

I'll show you a pic sometime
Posted Image

#13 darknes53

darknes53
  • New Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:18 AM

I had the same trouble as bashee...turns out a ram slot on the MB was d-e-d-ded...Replaced that, works fine, so I guess that was it...
Don't go out and replace it just because it worked for me, not absolutely sure that was it...

#14 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

Then the two RAMs are problematic :| here, because I testes eacxh RAM alone and the same problem happened :|...
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#15 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

I don't know about the rest of you but i would say that Details room is a stereotypical "computerite" computer desk.  :)

Slightly messy, but comfortable mess. With all the neccessary things to make a computing experience somewhat bairable.  :grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just moved back into my room after a recent paint job. Usually it's alot worse, with CD's scattered everywhere ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users