#1 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:10 PM

I'm pleased to announce that David Hunter 2 (David Hunter: The Crucible of War) will be built for Battle for Middle Earth (after extremely long debate over engines and themes)

“A full seven hundred years after the war in this system began, we're ready to finish it. Over twenty billion fighting soldiers lie in orbit over Homeworld, the last standing, and firmest Clone stronghold. We pray for the very souls of mankind, that our efforts over the next coming years in this final battle will be enough, for we fear and know, that the odds are stacked so greatly against us...”

What is David Hunter?

Despite the poor name, David Hunter is a series of high quality mods built around a solid story core;
http://davidhunter.game-mod.net/

Aims behind David Hunter 2

Akin to David Hunter 4 Real Time Strategy, Dh2 is another RTS title. This time, we aim to bring about a fast paced action game of truly epic proportions, which thousands of soldiers pouring into a fiery apocalyptic battle with only one possible outcome - total annihilation of either or both of the two involved parties.

Why create David Hunter 2?

David Hunter 2 is everything an RTS title should have been. It has incredible magnitude of vision, with battles spanning over an unprecedented and previously unseen battlefield. Emotions such as fear and anger affect the way that troops fight, and morale is as significant as it should be in any war based game.

Where does Dh2 take place?

Directly at the end of Dh4RTS, where the war reaches it's true final conclusion, with all the might available to the human remnant being poured over the surface of Homeworld in an unstoppable tidal orgy of violence.

What am I in all of this?

You are the under-general in command of a large contingent of Human forces. It is your task to oversee each battle and mission in turn. The survival of your troops is your responsibility, as is victory over the opposition.

So, what are we REALLY looking at?

To cut what could become a very long story short, Dh2 should be a very large scale total conversion mod for Battle for Middle Earth. It features two diametrically opposed factions in a long drawn out war of epic proportions. Dh2 should feature excellent multiplayability, singleplayer campaigns and some truly awesome rendered environments, with battles being fought over devastated futuristic battlegrounds and wrecked cityscapes.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, and more importantly, staffing of all types. Please don't hesitate to ask me a buttload of questions that you may have, I enjoy answering them.

An industry standard twenty page design document is under production. Basic public grade information is available at http://davidhunter.g...net/dh2main.php

AmberZ

#2 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:30 AM

In my head, i'm imagining some nice gameplay moments where you have to defend you base from wave after wave of attacks. Will this be in there?

#3 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:37 AM

Definitely, i'll copy up an old post form DZ when I was talking about gameplay;

I'm looking at using BFME to build a fairly comprehensive sci-fi total conversion based upon ideas and such that I put into action as a 'trial-run' on EBFD. (EBFD supported an incredibly large number of models ingame at any one time, unlike Generals)

It'll slot heavily into the 'David Hunter' series, based upon the Dh2 era timeline - showing the events which happened outside of all the indoor action that the player takes part in there. You can take a look at the DH material here if you're really bothered about the story - some things will be above thy heads that I mention, but people needn't really be worried until I get the show on the road  http://davidhunter.game-mod.net

Basically we're looking at two factions, both engaged in a largescale planetary war - the Human faction being the invading faction, after having dropped from planetfall en mass into the area. The Human faction represent a faction of staunch defenders, with extremely durable units which can fire to extreme effect when stationary, and move slowly when mobile.

The second faction, the 'Clone' faction is heavily dug in, but tactics sway towards cheap, lightweight units, with extremely short ranges, high vulnerability. It's a force heavily weighted on swarming the enemy, used to overrun defensive positions through sheer weight of numbers and attrition.

With a brutal but non-mobile 'anti-swarm' style army and an army that focuses on swarm tactics, you can see the complete stalemate situation, which is what I developed on EBFD. You end up with the human player shelled up in an extremely well defended base, but trapped under the constant flow of enemies that barrage it.

Should the human player try to move forwards, the hole in his defences are easily exploited and the player becomes extremely vulnerable. Should the clone player ever stop the barrage, he allows the human player to mobilise his troops and obtain some ground which would be used to his advantage.

I'm hoping that BFME will allow me to deploy several "subversive" tactics that would be encouraged as a means of defeating the opponent. It's mostly a case of wait and see for me, but I think BFME will allow me to take a rather extreme approach to a total conversion by comparison to others that we'll see :)

#4 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:20 AM

Bump; link to messages containing updated unit list and location concepts, soon to contain statistics also when I work out how to import them (image?);

Unit List;
http://forums.revora...showtopic=14733

Locations;
http://forums.revora...showtopic=14734

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

AmberZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users