The development works started by Krupp in the late 20's and resulted in a first prototype (with a 120 mm bore) in 1934. The weapon was mounted on a caisson, supported by two six-axles bogies. By displacing the caisson compared to the bogies, it was possible to aim the gun in any direction, whatever the direction of the railroad. To increase the muzzle velocity, the shell had pre-engraved protuberance to ease its introduction into the riffles and so increase the propelling charge without risking bursting the barrel. The normal range was 40 miles but it could be increased up to 54 miles with an additional propelling rocket (but a lesser explosive head and less accuracy). To move and fire of one of these guns, a full train was necessary, with special carriage for servants and ammunitions. Eight were available in 1940 when the pounding of Great Britain started. Their manufacturing continued for the whole war.
Caliber: 280mm L/77
Length with the carriage: 29.00m
Weight of the projectile: 254.47 kg
Rate of Fire: 15 rounds per hour
Muzzle velocity: 1,120 mps
Range: 62,152 m
Edited by Mig Eater, 22 August 2004 - 03:55 PM.