• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amdahlj

Amdahlj
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 04:04 AM

Hey Guys,
for those who are regulars on Deezire's modding forums for Command and Conquer Generals, I am amdahlj_fallout. I've been modding since the the early days of Generals (Working on the now defunct Fallout Mod) and right now I'm working on the Zero Hour Frontline team. However, today I would like to announce my next mod project:

Conflict Somalia for Battle for Middle Earth:

Setting: Somalia in the year 2006
Storyline: Already done, but this will be leaked in bits and pieces leading up to the release of BF:ME and the mod
Factions: Habr Gedir Militia, United States Armed Forces
Major Themes:
-Gameplay Realism: This isn't your average base-building mod. While it is impossible to say excactly how the system would work (given that I'd need to get my hands on BFME) here's the general idea. You build your base out of existing buildings. You capture civilian buildings and use them for your own purposes rather than build your own base in the middle of nowhere.
-Asymmetrical Gameplay: In generals, or nearly any RTS for that matter, every side is essentially the same. You gather the same resources (usually in the same way), build everything with the same system, and win or loose by huge mass of units. So how do you make Somalia and the US play like two completely different sides but preserve balance? To answer that I draw inspiration from real life.
The US has to live by the consequences of it's actions because it is always in the spotlight. So when you're playing as the US you are going to HAVE TO look after your own. If you lose a soldier, it is LITERALLY going to cost you. Public opinion has proven to be effective at curbing war efforts. Not only will you have to look after your own, you'll have to look after civilians. Causing civilian casualties will also directly penalize the US player.
For a somalian, the game is entirely differnt. You shouldn't expect to win any engagement with US soldiers in the open. You shouldn't expect to win any open engagements with enemies in the beginning of the game at all. What you can do, however, is cause casualites. You aren't bound to public opinion, so you can be a bit more reckless. You also have the ability for your buildings to blend in more with the surroundings, hindering the US player's ability to locate you. As a somalian player, you win by burdening the US player with the cost of casualties, then going for the jugular once they are crippled.

I have a bunch more ideas on concept, but that should be enough to last everyone for now. Now, what I'd like to talk about is staff. I'll be coding as I have in the past, but I can't do it all on my own. Note that only modellers, skinners and Web designers will have any real amount of work for now. Right now, I'd pretty much accept anyone who can help with the following:
-Skinning
-Modelling/Animating
-Modelling/Animating (Infantry Modelling, that is)
-Coding (I could always use some help)
-Web design
-Map Making

Contact Informaiton:
MSN : Amdahlj@msn.com
AIM: YourSource4Evil
Email: Amdahlj@msn.com

That's it for now, feel free to ask any questions...

#2 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

Somalia is a dead country, and it will have nothing to do with anything in the future.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#3 Amdahlj

Amdahlj
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

Somalia is a dead country, and it will have nothing to do with anything in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somalia was a dead country in 1993, your point is? You're making a judgement based on a storyline you know nothing about. I know that it would take several years before somalia became cohesive the point of being a threat oustide of the region. But it doesn't have to be. Say circumstances changed and the US went in to try to clean things up. It can't go in full force, because of the potential public opinion crissis, so it has to pull it's punches. Outnumbering the US armed forces 100 to one, the Ill equipped, untrained militias of Somalia look a bit more threatening.

#4 Deathblow Luc

Deathblow Luc

Unique

• Undead
  • 3,768 posts
  • Division:Ex - Network Leader

Posted 04 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

Its an alternate timeline, its noticeable, Spence. USAs government barely cares of public opinion.

Good luck, btw.

Margret Thatcher - Fenring's the one for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 Godwin

Godwin

title available

• Hosted
  • 491 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:15 PM

sounds pretty good (and professional too, i may add, im so sick of seeing idiots who cant spell ask for help and making up totally improbable storylines, or no storyline at all), i like realistic RTS gameplay, so i'll be looking foward to seeing how this works out, sorry that i cant help in any way

Edited by Godwin, 25 September 2004 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#6 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

I just do not see how Somalia could ever become a problem in the future.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#7 Godwin

Godwin

title available

• Hosted
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:10 AM

it doesnt have to be terrorism this, alqaeda that, there are many other things that can happen, perhaps the US is sent in for another peace keeping operation after something happens? you never know, and for once someone actually have a concrete plan of what he wants to do, you shouldnt question his rationale
Posted Image

#8 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:29 PM

very interesting story.

Yeah godwin is rite story is important.

A great example is Fallout, China invades America for control of resources and Canada is exiled or something from America. The in 2010, A-Bombs fall and most of the human race is wrecked.

The story reminds me of Conflict Zone

Edited by Allied General, 27 September 2004 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#9 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:59 PM

I didn't like the implausible fallout story either.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#10 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

but the fallout story still rocked, it had a unique sense of humour and overall was a great game.

What you think is "impossible" is probably very possible for someone else.

For instance I think all the JFK cover up assasination plots are rubbish but a lot of people believe in em thanks to numerous books and the JFK film.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users