#1 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 18 December 2003 - 02:22 PM

People are calling everything a BETA. As if beta was the only word in the world to describe development.

Concept - The ideas stage. When ideas are mixed together to become the basis for the mod.
Planning - Changing ideas into workable parts. Adding new ideas and organising old ones.
Work - The start of real work on the mod. Making the ideas into models, maps, skins and code.
Alpha - Bringing all the work together into one place. Seeing what is missing, what needs changing or adding. Initial testing.
Beta - Testing the product before release. Tweaking and balancing. Bug fixing.
Gold - Ready to be uploaded and released.

Please stop calling things beta when there realy not.

#2 Eradicator

Eradicator
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:57 PM

The word beta seems to have been adopted by the mod communtiy as an excuse to release imcomplete and/or buggy mods :p As seen in popular mods such as Counter-Strike and Desert Combat.

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:10 PM

I'd like a moment to clarify:

So why the hell do so many mods release betas, then?

And no mod in this whole community has ever been 'finished'. Only ever 'this is the last version we will release'. But never 100% finished.

#4 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:19 PM

my..my... we are picky... :grin:
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#5 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:35 PM

I'd like a moment to clarify:

So why the hell do so many mods release betas, then?

And no mod in this whole community has ever been 'finished'. Only ever 'this is the last version we will release'. But never 100% finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is the last version you are going to release, isn't it finished then? And I only release finished projects, those being projects that I have done everything I want to do on. Defcon will be released in a few days, and Version 1 is everything I expect it to be, and is a finished project. I'm working on Version 2 now, and it will be more complicated and add more features, but it will also be its own stand alone version still.
:grin:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users