GPS Satellite

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:43 PM

It's hard to catch you on MSN so I'll ask here.

Is it possible, for the GPS satellite, to make a script such as

Script 1
- if player X builds upgrade Y on object Z
reveal map for player X.
disable script 1.
enable script 2.

Script 2 (initially disabled)
- if player X loses object Z
shroud map for player X.
disable script 2.
enable script 1.

Will this only work in single player missions, or in skirmish/multiplayer too? And what exactly should the script be like (I don't know much about them)?

Edited by ImmoMan, 03 December 2004 - 07:43 PM.

#2 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts
  • Projects:Heh! You're not going to ask me that question.

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:39 AM

{other topic deleted}

The second one may work.

About the first script.. that won't quite work. It is impossible (in most cases anyway) to use a specific object for actions or conditions..

Hmm, maybe there's another solution:

The GPS Satellite spawns an invisible, indestructible object as soon as the upgrade is completed. A script would then check if that object exists and reveal the map - if that object is destroyed, as stated in the second script, the map is shrouded.

Obviously this alternative will require a bit of INI adaption.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - ReGeneration

"Not the faintest clue =\"

-ComradeJ

#3 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:01 PM

Well I can use drone logic to spawn the revealing object, just like we did with the Dozers/CY. If the Tech Center is destroyed, the drone goes with it.

But I remembered another problem. Since it's an OBJECT upgrade, you can upgrade more than one of the Tech Centers with these objects at a time. But the trick is that the map should only be shrouded when ALL of them are gone. Of course there's one way to do it - just give these "objects" a really big sight range, so that anytime the map shrouds they simply reveal it back again. But is all of this still possible script-wise?

And of course, won't this cause any mismatches in multiplayer?

#4 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

While I'm no scripter surely the "tech centre reveals a stupidly large area of the map" idea is far easier. That or some strange twist on the Detentions centre's original coding rather than scripting into every map the shroud and unshroud map. Anyway, I think the script shouldnt create a mismatch since it doesnt effect both players, it only effects the player with the object, the opponent doesnt notice any effect from when Object X is alive or dead.

#5 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

Well I have no idea what causes mismatches (any explanations/links?), so I though I'd ask just in case.

The GPS object would just have an insane sight range, so it would reveal the map when it was launched. But what I want to know is, if a script reshrouds the map when there are other GPSes around, do those objects just instantly reveal the map again without trouble?

#6 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:04 PM

Well I have no idea what causes mismatches (any explanations/links?), so I though I'd ask just in case.

The GPS object would just have an insane sight range, so it would reveal the map when it was launched. But what I want to know is, if a script reshrouds the map when there are other GPSes around, do those objects just instantly reveal the map again without trouble?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About mismatches, let me just restate the fist rule for them by RVMECH:

"Normally modifying anything for the human player that involves scoring in any way with a script will or can cause a mismatch"

The object would be spawned by an INI command, not by a script. This is experimental though - testing is required.

But what I want to know is, if a script reshrouds the map when there are other GPSes around, do those objects just instantly reveal the map again without trouble?

Hmm, yes I believe it would (though I'm not that sure), as long as the permanent reveal script is not used..

-ComradeJ

#7 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

Ok so here's what I have now.

Player builds upgrade on Tech Center
Upgrade triggers OCL for object
Object reveals whole map

Tech Center is destroyed
Object dies with it
Death of object triggers script that shrouds map
If there are other revealer objects around, map is re-revealed again

#8 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

Yes, it should theoretically work, as RV's rule hasn't been violated.

-ComradeJ

#9 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:33 AM

We should call it "RV's first law of scripting". :cool:

Edited by ImmoMan, 05 December 2004 - 10:34 AM.

#10 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:57 AM

Here's an idea for you. Give the tech center the upgrade, and OCL in an object with an insanely high sight range. No messing around with the scripts, and if you use the linkage system like the dozer, it should be no problem. I think it's a more simple solution.
:cool:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#11 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:59 AM

That's what I just said. In fact, it's already in the game like that. The problem isn't the revealing, it's the shrouding. :cool:

#12 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:12 AM

Ok, back again...

How do I make the script so it only re-shrouds the player that loses the GPS object? Do I shroud it for Local Player or This Player?

#13 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:37 AM

Without taking a look I'd say put it in PlyrCivilian (the script) and use <Local Player>

If that makes it work only for the human player, put the same script in every faction folder but this time with <This Player>

-ComradeJ

#14 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:20 PM

Well I thought the AI wasn't affected by shroud anyway. And even if the script does or does not shroud the AI, how would I be able to tell? :p

#15 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:09 AM

Not at all. As far as I can tell the AI "does not care" about shroud at all. Even superweapons that can only be fired on unshrouded ground can be fired anywhere by the AI.

-ComradeJ

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:16 PM

True AI doesn't give a care about shroud. It has a dummy script/object at the start that reveals the whole map to it, so it can fire it anywhere, that's how they know where you are even on a map with 6 other locations you could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users