INI files

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Stino

Stino

AKA Stink_o

• Hosted
  • 1,421 posts
  • Projects:Blitzkrieg II:The Finest Hour (BlitzII:TFH)
  •  Doer of Things

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:33 PM

the BFME ini files are on the blitz 3 site: www.derelictstudios.net/blitz3 :p
Posted Image

#2 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:54 PM

*Drools*

Ok, after having looked through some of it, has anyone noticed the severe lack of Damage types. Damagefx lists just 6 damage types and there will presumably be a User_1 and User_2 leaving us with just 8 types.

There are a few other interesting ini's, weather.ini could be interesting, pathfinder.ini seems utterly useless as does LivingWorldLogic.ini, the rest look vaguely similar to their Generals counterparts now just arranged nicely into folders. The living world looks easy to modify but I just get this impression that the streamlining has eliminated a lot of things and replaced it with very few things.

Edited by AdmiralGT, 07 December 2004 - 09:05 PM.

#3 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:23 PM

Notice also the weapons. Some have named ranges like Legolas bow and some have numbers like Golems sword. I could not find anywhere that listed what the ranges were for named ranges.

#4 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:59 PM

Named ranges are apparently defined constants. I have a link that appears to list them.
:p
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#5 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

Thats just part of gamedata.ini which suggests to me that you can alter those definitions to what you want. Does seem a bit weird how it defines a constant in a different ini, why not just use a number in the first place......

#6 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:59 PM

well, if you just made some major change to what those numbers represent, it would be easier to change them in one quick list

#7 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Forgot about that document, still seems redundant though MM. I guess it's more newb friendly.

#8 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:34 AM

I don't know though. So far I've been unable to get BFME to actually use any changes I make. I'm assuming they use the same directory structure as Generals (as seen in the BIG files), but it doesn't seem to work.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

#9 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:12 AM

Just for those who might have read this topic. I've got it working now, but so far the game seems only to want to read from ini.big. With a little help from EA (ha), this could actually lead to a good ingame swapper.
Posted Image

#10 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:27 AM

Seems we will actually have to resave back to .big based on what you say...

#11 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:25 AM

Yeah. That's exactly how I got a small mod to work. I'm still working out the art code, so no new units yet. I also have to figure out how to get turrets working. For now though, it's bed time here.
:)
Posted Image

#12 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

Am I the only one who finds it really annoying that it only reads a new .big file. Ok thats great for a finished mod since it will have to be stored in one/several .big files but when i'm actually modding I frequently change one value and retest for balance issues, add 1 new unit. This means I can only edit inside of a .big file and thus only edit one file at a time, normally I have 6-10 files open which I edit all at the same time for Generals and copy and paste bits that refer to each other, how can I do that now?

#13 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:58 PM

I feel your pain, I do the same. If MM is right than this will slow up the tweaking process. Still wondering how wonder boy (MM) got the game. I'm still waiting for Best Buy's shipment to show up! :)

#14 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 05:07 PM

Fingers crossed I should get mine Saturday, thats if Amazon ship it to me on Friday. There normally quite good at shipping on time, but its got a delivery estimate of 22-23 November 2004 on it which makes me wonder.

#15 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:04 AM

Amazon are shipping on December 09, to arrive minimum December 10 :/

I'm still waiting for my copy too :)

#16 Guest_Phil_*

Guest_Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hi Mastermind,

Can you please tell me how you pack and unpack the *.big files.
FinalBIG works in CNC Gen, but not anymore in BfME. :)
Thanks a lot.

===============================================
Let's implement sauron and the doom will be begin for the hobbits :)

Just for those who might have read this topic.  I've got it working now, but so far the game seems only to want to read from ini.big.  With a little help from EA (ha), this could actually lead to a good ingame swapper.
:grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#17 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:22 PM

You need a Hex editor. If you open the .big file with a hex editor, you should see the first 4 characters that say BIG4. With your hex editor, change that to BIGF. It will then work with any released big editor. As for getting the game, I just went to my local EB Games on the 7th, and they had it in stock on the shelves. I called them on Monday to see when they would have it, and they said the 7th.
:)
Posted Image

#18 Stino

Stino

AKA Stink_o

• Hosted
  • 1,421 posts
  • Projects:Blitzkrieg II:The Finest Hour (BlitzII:TFH)
  •  Doer of Things

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

watch THIS
Posted Image

#19 Guest_Phil_*

Guest_Phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:03 PM

Thanks a lot to Mastermind2004, Stino and Phoib for their help.

Now the Balrog can start hunting the hobbits :)

Keep gaming :)
Phil

You need a Hex editor.  If you open the .big file with a hex editor, you should see the first 4 characters that say BIG4.  With your hex editor, change that to BIGF.  It will then work with any released big editor.  As for getting the game, I just went to my local EB Games on the 7th, and they had it in stock on the shelves.  I called them on Monday to see when they would have it, and they said the 7th.
:grin:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#20 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

Deezire just posted some helpful information. If you add -preferLocalFiles to the games command line, it will use the file directory rather than reading just from the *.big files.
;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users