New Faction

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MadJammer

MadJammer
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:14 PM

This question has been dogging me for days now so I'm just going to ask it.

First off, WB and I don't get along well at all, so for this - let's just say that's not an option.

Can I take all the ini files of a particular faction, say GLA, and just change the faction name to the new faction name. We'll say Huns cause I haven't decided who yet. Don't worry about the vehicle issue as I'm just trying to determine if this path will yield the correct results.

#2 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

Yes, although I advise not too. In my opinion its much easier to make a faction from scratch, than to convert an existing faction to what you want. However, yes, it is possibly to just change every instance of GLA to Huns.

#3 MadJammer

MadJammer
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

I've read that sometimes new additions, such as a building or unit, aren't utilized by the comp. opponent (I think it was in a read me in a mod or two online). Is there a limit to the # of unit types the comp. opponent will recognize/use in a game/mod?

If so, can that # be changed?

If not, what is your take on the additions not being used?

#4 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:35 PM

The Computer only recognises I believe 14 factions, one of which is Civilian. I dont know of any unit limit since the computer creates teams of units, which you have to define in the scripts (see the SDI for more info/tips/tutorials).

Of course, any unit you make wont be used by the computer if you give it a new Object name, or change the faction in the code. This is because the script points to the unit of that Faction so if you change GLA to Huns then none of the GLA multiplayer scripts will work since they look for a GLA faction.

Hope that helps

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:36 PM

Well when you rename the objects, you also have to change side= to your new faction. New objects are not going to be playable by he AI unless the scripts are written for you. A rather involded process that few truly understand.

#6 MadJammer

MadJammer
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:40 PM

And if I go thru WB, then these scripts are taken care of for me?

#7 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:43 PM

You cant change any code in Worldbuilder. Worldbuilder just creates maps and is used when there is an error in the code since it often tells you what exactly crashes the game, but you cant mod anything in Worldbuilder. You can give a map a map.ini to mod things but the AI still wont use any of it. The only thing an AI will use is if you modify existing units, leaving their names exactly the same and changing the weapon damage etc, if you change the command buttons or upgrades it will also run into trouble.

Essentially, change anything other than the predifined values (Buildtime, buildcost, Weapon damage) and you'll be needing a whole new AI script to get it to work.

#8 MadJammer

MadJammer
  • New Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:14 PM

Ack - wrong thread

Edited by Renegade, 19 December 2004 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users