6 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

Before BFME came out I was always toying with the idea of creating my own mod. Not being able to think of any good ideas, I kinda sat back and thought I might just do some coding for other projects. Well, I finally think I have an idea of a project I want to do.

So whats the idea I hear you ask. My idea, is quite straightforward, recreate The Battle of Middle Earth. I know in the single player campaigns you go through some of the major battles, but I feel they just lack a certain something to make them truly great. For example, the Battle of Helms Deep. While good, I just felt it lacked in the suspense of the battle from the movie and the books and it really was a little too easy. I just got a bunch of archers to sit on the wall and reign terror on anything that approached. It just all felt a bit small. With a 300 command point limit there really isnt a lot you can build. And Eomer's arrival felt a bit wussy too, why does Gandalf walk, he needs Shadowfax. And why is Eowyn even fighting, she went into the caves, and why cant Aragorn get on Brego, he and Theoden ride out yet Aragorn has to wuss his way out on foot.

So what am I planning to do. So far I've got a few ideas layed out of what battles I want to do. Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, The Black Gate possibly the Scouring of the Shire, possibly a remake of the Ents at Isengard. Maybe even move onto battles involving Dwarves from the other books. I plan on remaking/creating all the maps again, since Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith are both far too small to actually have any decent fight on and Osgiliath doesnt even appear to be in the game. Also, I want to add some elements from the Movie. Gandalf with Shadowfax, Aragorn and Brego, Gamling, A Rohan soldier with a sword and shield, archers being able to shoot over a wall, ladders being carried along the ground instead of straight up, Rohirrim which throw spears. There would be two layers to the mod, a single player where you play much like the campaigns, and a multiplayer mode where you can build up a force before you attack or use the existing forces laid out for you in a map and battle your way to the end.

So my question, whats your views on the mod, Would you want to play it? What would you like to see in it? Is it worth it since they're already in game? Opinions if you would please.

#2 Mr. Painless

Mr. Painless
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Projects:Imperial Assault, The Sith War

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

I completely agree with you. While I am only playing the FoD campaign right now, I think it is slightly lacking as well. I mean I am a good couple hours into the game, but there is so much of Middle Earth to conquer and it is already telling my to take Minis Tirith. Plus I dont think it really matters anyway because I already have the one ring :)

Good idea. Gets my support.

#3 the_kid

the_kid

L337 Pwnerer of N00bs

• Project Team
  • 1,734 posts
  • Projects:freelancing between what interests me
  •  + TRIPLEhelix

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:01 AM

I like the idea, I would definately play it...

#4 ComradeJ

ComradeJ

Comrade Jamgee

• Project Team
  • 2,067 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert: ReGeneration

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:46 AM

I nice idea, but I don't think Helm's Deep is too small. It's roughly that size in the films too.
You cannot compare pissing to thinking
- SoulReaver

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

It's a nice idea, but it seems all a bit unnecessary to me;

EDIT: why aren't my QUOTE tags working?

why does Gandalf walk, he needs Shadowfax.

lol, because you didn't rank him up to rank 5 status before you played the scenario - THEN he gets Shadowfax

why is Eowyn even fighting, she went into the caves

Because it's just easier that way - otherwise she wouldn't really be introduced at all. There are MUCH bigger flaws with the BfME story to pick out than that, lol.

and why cant Aragorn get on Brego, he and Theoden ride out yet Aragorn has to wuss his way out on foot.

Because the Aragorn unit in BfME is not mountable - you can't make a unit mountable for one scenario only unless you want to make it a diffferent unit. In which case it doesn't share the experience stuff and it's statistics at the end of the scenario won't match up with the original.

Osgiliath doesnt even appear to be in the game.

Yes it is, you play it just before defending Minas Tirith.

Gandalf with Shadowfax

As I said before, Gandalf HAS Shadowfax.

Aragorn and Brego

If you want to change the Aragorn unit to be mountable, you'll have to drop one of his other powers to do so. Probably not preferable to do so.

A Rohan soldier with a sword and shield

I know what you mean, but doesn't that make peasants redundant? After all, in BfME, they ARE the Rohan soldier with sword and shield.

archers being able to shoot over a wall

That would be cool

ladders being carried along the ground instead of straight up,

That's how they were carried in the films too, but no matter.

Rohirrim which throw spears.

Heroes already do that, so it's easy to copy the power and make it a bit more wussified. But doesn't that negate the point of having Rohirrim archers?

Just my two cents :dry:

Edited by Detail, 30 December 2004 - 02:41 PM.

#6 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 30 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

why does Gandalf walk, he needs Shadowfax.

lol, because you didn't rank him up to rank 5 status before you played the scenario - THEN he gets Shadowfax

OK, so I didnt level him up, but the whole point is that he rides in. He should be on Shadowfax at Helm's Deep, levelled up or not.

why is Eowyn even fighting, she went into the caves
Because it's just easier that way - otherwise she wouldn't really be introduced at all. There are MUCH bigger flaws with the BfME story to pick out than that, lol.

The whole point is Eowyn isnt allowed to fight, this is why she goes to fight at Minas Tirith. She can introduced at the next mission, it really doesnt matter, but she doesnt fight at Helm's Deep and so shouldnt in game.

and why cant Aragorn get on Brego, he and Theoden ride out yet Aragorn has to wuss his way out on foot.

Because the Aragorn unit in BfME is not mountable - you can't make a unit mountable for one scenario only unless you want to make it a diffferent unit. In which case it doesn't share the experience stuff and it's statistics at the end of the scenario won't match up with the original.

He should be mountable, as should Legolas & Gimli.

Osgiliath doesnt even appear to be in the game.

Yes it is, you play it just before defending Minas Tirith.

That is not anything like Osgiliath. The only resemblence is the bridges. Forget the fact the orcs attack across the river. Where are the catapults on top of the structures? Why isnt it dark? In my opinion it doesnt look anything like Osgiliath.

Aragorn and Brego

If you want to change the Aragorn unit to be mountable, you'll have to drop one of his other powers to do so. Probably not preferable to do so.

I'm sure his passive powers can be eliminated. They dont even need to show up yet for some bizarre reason they do.

A Rohan soldier with a sword and shield

I know what you mean, but doesn't that make peasants redundant? After all, in BfME, they ARE the Rohan soldier with sword and shield.

Maybe, but I would like to see something more powerful than the peasants at hand to hand combat. They run out and get shot immediately, and since when did the Rohan women attack?

archers being able to shoot over a wall

That would be cool

Thank you.

ladders being carried along the ground instead of straight up,

That's how they were carried in the films too, but no matter.

Having watched the film only last week, and just looking back over the Helm's Deep footage now, I can assure you that they are lifted up. There is even a short clip where all the ladders get lifted up, to which Aragorn in Elvish yells out "Ladders!". You even see them carrying them along.

Rohirrim which throw spears.

Heroes already do that, so it's easy to copy the power and make it a bit more wussified. But doesn't that negate the point of having Rohirrim archers?

True, but i'd also like to Rohirrim archers who dont just stop and shoot. If you look at the archers attacking the trackers the archers keep riding and turn and shoot. Also, Rohirrim would only have 1 spear, once thrown would be used up and would have to revert to a sword unless they could pick up another, but I really dont think that can be implemented.

Just my two cents :dry:

Thanks for your comments

As for Helm's Deep being the right size, Maybe, but I still feel its too small. You can only get 1 line of archers on the wall, in the films there are clearly 3 lines.

Edited by AdmiralGT, 30 December 2004 - 04:01 PM.

#7 Mr. Painless

Mr. Painless
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Projects:Imperial Assault, The Sith War

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

I agree with you GT about Osgiliath. Lol it is too easy to stomp in the FoD campaign. One rank 10 nazgul owns about everything there, with a little support from 3 trolls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users