thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:13 AM

I think its best that we "devy-up" responsibilites for all our resident coders/scripters. I, for one, am interested in organizing the total package including doing the installer once its ready for full beta. Also, I'm into base design (as you have known about me.. hehe) as well as ensuring the AI holds its own on defense and protecting its assets.

I'd like to get a "rollcall" from everyone who is interested in specializing in a certain facet of the AI: doing the theories, creating the scripts, testing and debugging, ensuring they work for all races, then finally sharing them once its reproducable.

I know we're all busy with life and such (who isn't) but we need an idea about what everyone wants to bring to the project? We need more focus.. :p

Granted, Relic hasn't been forthcoming with the game's API that deals with terrain.analyser and vectorXf() so we're working on our own currently. We can get much done and hope to do in the next weeks.

I so value your input and expertise and I couldn't make this the best AI player without you fellas! Its not easy doing this by yourself especially when I first started to ensure the research-tree worked (agghhh!). We're a team and together this'll be some shining achievement for the DoW community!

Okiedokes.. here is the objectives all revised..

Updated LIST
========

Objectives
~~~~~~~
1) Build defensive turrets + 1-2 mines on expansions especially on LPs near the front-line?

2) Create a team of 1-2 builders to either help build OR be on repair duty to heal damaged buildings.

3) Ensure Large Energy Reactor construction + 3-4 defense placements around it (its an important structure after all!) - May need to give AI a one-time Cash Infusion to force him to build it.

4) Similar to 3) when relic is captured and fortified I would like to have AI build more defensive turrets around it than usual due to its significance for getting uber-units.

5) Check to see why independant units (ie. Space Marines' Apothecary or Librarian) sometimes do not attach themselves to squads.

6) NEW ADDITION: Determine why, apart from the SMs, that all other races DO NOT go on the attack if their buildorder is large. Elaboration here: http://forums.relicn...ead.php?t=54814 If we could get the AI to build parts of his base on the closet expansions then this would be rectified.

UPDATE: 6) has been rectified with help from Larkin! All is good now! Better than ever: http://forums.revora...showtopic=16038

Longer term objectives
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Rebuilding destroyed Base Defenses at either original main base or second emergency base!

2) If enough surplus cash allows, will create a secondary HQ including minor unit production buildings + defensive turrets all built after Tier3 HQ is achieved at main base.

3) Troop dancing

4) AI could use Cover on maps more effectively to bait players into a situation that leads them to their enemy's disadvantage. Whomever uses their troops in "covered" parts of the map gives those troops a defensive advantage.

5) Better acknowledgement of threats against fellow allied players (will come to the rescue more effectively when an ally, like me, is under heavy attack!)

6) Fix Assassinate Win Condition (AI attaches Commander unit to one of his attacking squads thus greatly increasing his likelihood of losing the game if Commander dies)

7) Apart from the Eldar race, the Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and Ork are NOT aggressive enough in the "Control Area" and "Take&Hold" Winning conditions.

8) NEW ADDITION: Ensure when AI is allied with a human player(s) he keeps pace and does not fall behind (continues to build troops, researches, helps defend allies and, most importantly, attacks!!).

Unknowns
~~~~~~~
1) When AI's main base is destroyed yet has successfully made a secondary backup one, does he upgrade his HQ to Tier2 (SM, CSM, ORK)? Or when he created defensive turrents does he update them to Tier1 (Ork to Tier2)?

2) Prevent game from crashing when my troops get near to the Mines that AI has built? Wierd.. (still testing this one!)

Objectives Complete
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) A random script that only upgrades a certain % of those LPs and defensive turrets. LPs I can live with at Tier2 but its pretty dumb to update all turrets to Tier1 (Tier2 for Orks) anti-vehicle especially since DoW is half about infantry!
**THANKS CORSIX! Works great - still need to test saved games AND multiplay to ensure no synch errors. How its done: http://forums.revora...showtopic=15784

Objectives Dropped
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Better troop combinations (this may not be a problem as the AI generally is decent at selecting squad-level weapon upgrades) Reason: Not needed! AI has been observed with decent weapon combos and seems to upgrade to suit the situation needed.

2) Look into adding vehicles that Relic removed for the AI to use (ie. SM/CSM Rhino and ORK WarTrukk) Reason: simply not feasible until Relic or a good balance mod can make such vehicles worth their battlefield reputation.

Edited by thudo, 27 January 2005 - 04:47 AM.

Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#2 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

I still have problems with most of the short term objectives resulting in little interest to go into detail to fix them. No offense Thudo.

I agree that one or two base defenses at the start won't hurt. I completely disagree that turrets/minefields are efficient near LPs/relics or whatever. If I would play such an AI I would be happy for the wasted resources. These defenses have to backed up by a mobile army to be successfull and the AI wouldn't do that.

The AI is building large reactors but only if it already had build 6 standard ones. Reduce this number and it might build the big ones earlier. Its in buildbasestrategy.ai

I disagree with the change of the complete research list as there are researches which aren't worth doing like infiltration/smoke screen etc.

Regarding long term objective 1) Last battle 4vs4 the AI did rebuild its base !

Conclusion : I will try to tweak base building according to my understanding of a good AI and release all what I discover so anyone can use. I fixed the slugga reinforcement to 6 max and increased number of squads. I fixed cultist reinforcement to 6 max. I did split UpdateAndReinforce() to Update() and Reinforce() so it can be handled differently. Next I will improve debug output so I can check in detail at which gametime the AI did build/reinforce/upgrade to get a better understanding and find flaws.

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:04 PM

Actually I disagree, the SM AI is totally mobile + has a decent set of base defenses but since I'm having issues replicating it for the other civs its not exactly priority. I would compromise and just have maybe one extra base defense on exposed LPs and 1-2 on a Relic or Large Thermo Reactor. Heck, if we can get the AI just to build more reliably off expansions we would have achieved a huge goal! Again, the SM side is working great so I'm not sure how much longer I want to dedicate to get the others working. Probably easy enough to just move on.

The reason for researching the whole tech-tree is to give modders the idea that it can be done. Further, remember: the AI researches each item one at a time so this fully minimizes the penality on the economy. Thus, this largely gives the AI huge benefits so it receives all the upgrades thus compensating for any probs.

Btw, the Skirmish AI, when allied with one another, are farrr more potent than going solo or with a human ally. WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS and ensure the AI is always potent!

I'd be interested in your work!

#4 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI, DoW Mod Studio
  •  Blue Text :)

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:25 PM

I, for one, am interested in organizing the total package including doing the installer once its ready for full beta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto.
Posted Image

#5 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

Corsix, any developments on the AI scripting side? Still no go for figuring out how to firmly build on expansions or is that still an unanswered API question from Relic? Them guys are bloody alusive. Ugh!

#6 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

No developments as yet:
A) Hurry up Relic - give us that damn SDK
B) I'm working on a Tank Racing game.
Posted Image

#7 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Corsix, can you take a look at the ORK Turret Upgrade Logic. Its similar to the LPs where it has 2 Tier Upgrades rather than the other civs which only have turrets with only 1. Can we make it so the Ork AI always upgrades all turrets to Tier1 (dual-cannon) BUT then randomizes what goes to Tier2 (rockets)? Thanks.

#8 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:29 PM

So upgrade all "ork_waagh_banner" with "ork_waagh_banner_gunzaddon" and upgrade some % of them with "ork_waagh_banner_gunzaddon_2".
OK.
Posted Image

#9 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:33 PM

Thanx Corsix.. Got it working last night. Works like a charm thanks to your fab scripts!

Btw, will probably have some *very good news* about the DoW Skirmish AI - might be going beta a little sooner than we thought! heheh.. Will let the testers test it and also submit an updated changelog. Need everyone's opinion and other script ideas out there! :blink:

#10 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:50 PM

What did you get working last night?
Posted Image

#11 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:13 PM

The Ork Banner/LP random upgrade scripts ya silly! heheh.. No no.. I figured it out myself. Yer scripts are easily transferrable to other factions. :cool:

#12 Corsix

Corsix

Code Monkey

• Hosted
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

Yer scripts are easily transferrable to other factions. :huh: