Faction Tutorial Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:20 AM

I'm having trouble with the New Faction Tutorial. I have completed the tutorial but at the end it mentions you will die if you try to play the new faction in game (because of the base files that need to be added in the upcoming tutorial). That makes sense, except I can't play as my new faction at all. Is it supposed to be selectable as a skirmish faction when setting up a skirmish game? If its supposed to do that, then what is the most probable thing I did wrong? (because it doesn't)

Thanks

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:53 AM

It's likely that there is a problem with your CSF file. I believe that is the main cause for factions not showing up ingame.
:grin:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:07 AM

I think my csf file is fine, I added the strings exactly like the tutorial. The only thing odd I can think about that would be the fact that the LWA strings are already there in the csf file whereas the tutorial says to add them. However, that should make no difference anyway since that refers to the Living World Armies. Did anyone else have the same problem?

#4 Lavskaegge

Lavskaegge
  • Project Team
  • 177 posts
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:59 AM

did u put back the csf in the english big and the remove ure old one.. make sure that u named it like lang\english\lotr.csf

also make sure that u didnt misspelled anythig. Also check ure playertemplate.

If its not working now. try to remove ure ini.big from ure battle for middle earth directory or simply add -preferloalfiles to ure bfme shortcut..

If u still got problems just redo everything according to the tutorial.

#5 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

I'm almost positive I've done everything correctly, and in terms of the actual mod set-up, I'm positive I have that done correctly because I have a few other modifications that work fine. What is the most critical part of the tutorial that makes the faction show up?

#6 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

I think my csf file is fine, I added the strings exactly like the tutorial.  The only thing odd I can think about that would be the fact that the LWA strings are already there in the csf file whereas the tutorial says to add them.  However, that should make no difference anyway since that refers to the Living World Armies.  Did anyone else have the same problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it lies here. It sounds like the csf file. If you trully added a new faction than your factions csf entries would not be there. Also even though it refers to the living world map, those entries listed in the tutorial all need to be present.

If you still can't succeed do what all experienced modders do, start from fricking scratch. You'll save yourself more time than spending hours looking for one small mistake.

Seeing as you've done it once. You could probably redo the whole thing in 15 miuntes. Time better spent perhaps.

#7 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:19 PM

Ok, I'll make a go from scratch and see what happens. Still confused though, I've checked everything.

Oh, and as for the csf file, you see, I added an Elves Faction exactly like the tutorial, and if you have played the campaign, you'll know there is an Elven Army that goes to helms deep. Those are the csf files that already existed, LWA:Elves and LWA:ElvesArmy. They are used in the campaign even though it isn't a real faction, I'm confused though that no one has seen this oddity before, because the tutorial says "add" and they already exist.

Ok, I'm off to do it again, shouldn't take more than five minutes I should think.

#8 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

Ok, I started from scratch, this time I copied and pasted the data straight from the tutorial. It still doesn't show up as a new faction.

#9 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

Have you removed your original English.BIG file and INI.BIG file?

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

Basically, I extracted the concents of English.big and INI.big to a different folder, edited the contents and created new INI.big and English.big files. Backed up the .big originals, and replaced them with my modded ones. I have other modifcations within my modded .bigs that work in game. I'm looking into some different things that might be wrong, though I'd like to conctact the author of the tutorial for some questions. Is there a way I could do this?

#11 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

The defining factor in whether a faction shows up or not is the lotr.csf file. If the strings are in this then it will show up as long as its referencing that file.
An easy way to check that your new faction has been implemented is to make the other factions all non playable. This will leave you only being able to select random in game. Your faction will be chosen since it will be the only faction left thats playable. If it doesnt select your faction then you havent implemented your faction correctly.
Whenever I edit I extract all the files from INI.big and ENGLISH.big and then delete both these .bigs (I have 2 copies installed, a modded copy and a as installed copy). Backup these files if you don't have 2 copies installed. This means it will definately choose your ini's since it wont be able to choose the ini's in the big.

GT

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:46 PM

OMG! I'm so annoyed. I had everything correct from the very start. I just realized that theres a _patchenglish101.big file that installed with patch 1.01 and the game looks at that in preference to the regular English.big file. *smacks head on keyboard* Let this be an expample for all you "thinking about patch 1.01" modders. Old English.big is pretty much obselete! Ok, I just modded up the _patchenglish101.big file and it works fine now. Damn patch. It didn't even fix the .BSE bug, though I'm hexing my way through that.

</end rant>

Thanks for all the help though, it got me thinking about the csf file and then I realized my other strings weren't showing up from the other parts of my mod. So, everyone was right, the patch just go the better of my attention (after scrupulously re-editing every ini file for the 1.01 INI.big) Arg! The grove tool is quite nice though, lol.

#13 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:19 AM

OMG!  I'm so annoyed.  I had everything correct from the very start.  I just realized that theres a _patchenglish101.big file that installed with patch 1.01 and the game looks at that  in preference to the regular English.big file.  *smacks head on keyboard*  Let this be an expample for all you "thinking about patch 1.01" modders.  Old English.big is pretty much obselete!  Ok, I just modded up the _patchenglish101.big file and it works fine now.  Damn patch.  It didn't even fix the .BSE bug, though I'm hexing my way through that. 

</end rant>

Thanks for all the help though, it got me thinking about the csf file and then I realized my other strings weren't showing up from the other parts of my mod.  So, everyone was right, the patch just go the better of my attention (after scrupulously re-editing every ini file for the 1.01 INI.big)  Arg!  The grove tool is quite nice though, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well your discovery helped the whole community. So don't be annoyed be happy you solved it. Ive updated the site to reflect your findings with credit to you of course. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users