#1 quiet_man

quiet_man
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:05 PM

GameData["res_renew_bonus_insane"] = 2.000000
GameData["res_gather_bonus_insane"] = 2.000000

I tryed to see what happens:
city map, nice big place for base with a narrow bridge for access, works very well with turrets in front and generators back

Eldar
AI1005 at 21232 r 13045.497070313 p 9161.3076171875
Avantar, good vehicles but should go for better infantry late game

Ork
AI1001 at 21236 r 86.489776611328 p 11434.890625
strong early but fails to build up forces late
to much weak infantry late game, never got squiggoth

Chaos
AI1002 at 21240 r 244.92504882813 p 14694.94140625
slow early, strong late game
Deamon, vehicles, few terminators

Space Marine
AI1003 at 21104 r 6770.4672851563 p 12238.943359375
strong over the hole game, the deepstrike vehicles are very annoying when fighting them
AI1003 Wanting to build: space_marine_squad_terminator_assault
I never saw SM Terminators in game??? I will check again

quiet_man

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

Its that some major cheating for the AI to get such bonuses? I would think the AI would get such high req/power results. I mean, INSANE is just fine as it is. Giving them such bonuses is akin to what he had to do in Generals/ZH -> give the AI money so it would forcehim to build. SHould keep that out of DoW as much as possible.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 quiet_man

quiet_man
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

@thudo

as setting for specific maps?
a city map is bad for ai at late game, once the player has build up his army using the map he can slaughter ai with minimal loses

Eldar and SM didn't used the resources, they are already limited by production speed and caps but chaos required it and orks would have been easily wasted without

maybe in the future we can tweek chaos and orks to be more carefull with resouces, but I don't expect that we can improve the ai handle large armies

quiet_man

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:33 PM

I find the AI just need to keep attacking is the problem. Mid-Game he just sits at a specific chokepoint all the while my friend and I are building up units and fortifying with turrets. AI should just push and push.. Obviously, it would be idle for the AI to send troops in backed up by artillery to mow down the turrets and guarding units, recoup at that point, then push forward again.

Hate AI that is aggressive at game start then settles down 10mins into the game while we fortify our positions. Need more "gutsy AI" that takes risks.

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

Easy. Just code it :p

#6 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

Work in progress at present! :p However, now that the AI migration Doc has gone off to proofing I can solely concentrate on v1.0 and releasing the mutha.

#7 quiet_man

quiet_man
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

@thudo
I tried another time, at first contact I lost my early units and the ai did not enter its "10 Minutes idle" mode, instead pressed the attack and I had no chance

so yes, alot is related to this "idle" time, but also late game the ai should be stronger and the only way I see to get this is by giving it resources to replace his loses faster

quiet_man

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:22 AM

I continue to look into this mid-game idle time. I like the AI to "press the attack" as much as possible without just sitting at a chokepoint while my bud and I fortify and bring in new forces. The AI on vanilla Harder/INSANE will just attack attack attack so it may be one of the settings myself or another did to re-appraise its forces vs our fortifications kuzz right now he just builds up out of range and just waits for something.

Still.. I'm happy with HARDER/INSANE resource bonuses. Any more and it may constitute "severe cheating". Have to watch that.

We tend to win more games against 2-3 HARDER AIs then we should when matched with the same # of human players. I'd like to see us losing more. heheh

#9 giskard

giskard
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

Idealy the Uber units should always be late game events.

Having said that, the AI just need resources in the default game and it will build them. It just doesnt get those resources.

Its a shame we cannot rate the maps to get some idea of which ones commonly produce UBer units and which ones never do. If your testing whether the Uber units are appearing then this would be handy information.

Giskard

Edited by giskard, 27 February 2005 - 10:53 AM.

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:47 PM

Yea thats another issue: AI never seems to save up for Uber-units or have enough pop for it. If you kill off a large # of his army and then wait.. he *may* create an uber unit. Space Marines excluded - there usually pretty good with LandRaiders.

However, like forcing the AI to build Bigger Generators (not needed really now as he's decently-reliable building em) we could provide a cash-incentive to the AI to help build the uber-unit. Hmm.. thats cheating too.

Its weird though: if I play a 2vs2 with an AI ally on my team, all the AI players tend to all attack more frequently, build uber-units and are just plain nasty. HOWEVER, make it 2 human and 2 AIs and the AI team seems, well, semi-retarded. He just acts like he's >gasp< SCARED! Holding back.

I wonder if thats always been due to how he rates against our buildup. We usually build turrets quickly around LPs facing enemy and which are closest to enemy. The AI will attack nicely in the first 5mins but then after that its "retard-time". Bah! Have to look into that as that kinda the bread-and-butter of Skirmish AI - IT MUST OFFER A CONTINUOUS CHALLENGE rather than allowing the human players to stupidly buildup big forces. AI needs more guts! :)

#11 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:18 AM

AI is rated against your force + defensive buildings (rated as 150). If its attack rating is like > 100 to attack and you have 3 turrets it does need a strength +550 compared to you force. Thats an additional marine squad. Decrease value of defensive buildings and attack limit and it will have more guts.

I would never allow to let it cheat in resources except for playing insane.

#12 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

Makes sense.. I'll probably drop the DefensiveTurret cost to 50 (Giskard has his @ 250 !) and keep the Attacking_Rating ~150-200. I need the AI to see turrets as being a threat but not enough to allow human players the luxury of building up to LandRaiders. Silly.

#13 quiet_man

quiet_man
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

seams to me also a timing factor, if map and overall situation creates many loses of light infantry, the ai will never "save" enough resources to build expensive stuff

I played the map with standard insane resources and the Ork build their monster unit, while with nearly double the resources it never build it
imho the also stronger enemys killed the light Ork units much faster

different building plans depending on Trier level?

quiet_man

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users