Photo

Part III for Add New Faction

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:48 AM

Well the long awaited tutorial is up and ready. After reviewing the tutorial, the amount of work that went into making it is just awesome. I'm sure AdmiralGT will be taking some much needed time off to actually enjoy the game now.

I will be adding another tutorial (or two) over the next day or two. Than I will officially anounce the arrival of the new tutorials as a whole.

Thanks, stay tuned, and please feedback is good. :)

#2 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts
  • Projects:Drums in the Deep, A Moria Faction mod for BFME. Status: 5% (Beta availible to staff ONLY)

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:26 AM

WOOT!
Posted Image
"Drums..... Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. The shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming."

"Drums in the Deep" Project Leader

#3 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:23 AM

Ok, well I completed the tutorial and I'm about to test it out. Oh, AdmiralGT, in your civilianbuildings.ini file there is a typo where you spelled "castle" as "caslte" so the game crashes. Ctrl+F "caslte" to find it. Easy fix, but just letting you know.

#4 Guest_Gondolin_*

Guest_Gondolin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:13 AM

Ok, tested and I can confirm that following these tutorials does work, I have a completely new faction that works in game (I just creamed Rohan in a skirmish game with it- 200 elves, lol).

To AdmiralGT:
A few fixes for your civilianbuildings.ini: I found that you had made the "caslte" typo numerous times as you probably copy + pasted it, so that should be fixed easily with a replace all. In addition one of the lines in the ini refers to an "ELVES_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST". You probably used this text reference in your own mod but it doesn't exist from the perspective of your tutorials. I will probably add it on my own (in gamedata.ini?) for the same purposes you did, but for your download you should put it as "GONDOR_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST" or something generic.

In your first tutorial "Adding a New Faction- The Basics" you say to create in the CSF file two strings "LWA:Elves" and "LWA:ElvesArmy". These already exist in the CSF file because the game uses them for the Good Side Campaign where an elven army goes to Helms Deep, so I would mention that in the tutorial (keeping in mind that people not creating an Elves Faction will still have to create the LWA strings).

Thirdly, you used the Rohan foundation plot art for your elves foundation plot in the tutorial. Since there is already an elves foundation plot (with a slightly different name then yours in the tutorial) i would use that art as it would make more sense (It has a cool little Lothlorien Leaf emblem thing instead of Rohan's horse head).

Apart from these minor things the tutorial worked great and has certainly helped me get started, so thanks a lot!

Gondolin

#5 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts
  • Projects:Drums in the Deep, A Moria Faction mod for BFME. Status: 5% (Beta availible to staff ONLY)

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:31 AM

I can't get the "PlyrElves/teamPlyrElves" thing to appear in the drop down menu....
Posted Image
"Drums..... Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. The shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming."

#6 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:38 AM

Thanx for the confirmation. Typos have been fixed.

In addition one of the lines in the ini refers to an "ELVES_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST". You probably used this text reference in your own mod but it doesn't exist from the perspective of your tutorials. I will probably add it on my own (in gamedata.ini?) for the same purposes you did, but for your download you should put it as "GONDOR_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST" or something generic.

We'll look into this and see ow to resolve it.

#7 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:08 AM

Ok, tested and I can confirm that following these tutorials does work, I have a completely new faction that works in game (I just creamed Rohan in a skirmish game with it- 200 elves, lol). 

To AdmiralGT:
A few fixes for your civilianbuildings.ini:  I found that you had made the "caslte" typo numerous times as you probably copy + pasted it, so that should be fixed easily with a replace all.  In addition one of the lines in the ini refers to an "ELVES_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST".  You probably used this text reference in your own mod but it doesn't exist from the perspective of your tutorials.  I will probably add it on my own (in gamedata.ini?) for the same purposes you did, but for your download you should put it as "GONDOR_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST" or something generic.

Hehe, thanks for finding that out. I had to type each one individually and sometimes castle became caslte. This one must have slipped through. As for ELVES_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST, this would need a line in gamedata.ini. I haven't created it myself, that's just me being stupid when coding and putting ELVES instead of GONDOR. Thanks for those. I'll submit a fixed copy in a moment.

In your first tutorial "Adding a New Faction- The Basics"  you say to create in the CSF file  two strings "LWA:Elves" and "LWA:ElvesArmy".  These already exist in the CSF file because the game uses them for the Good Side Campaign where an elven army goes to Helms Deep, so I would mention that in the tutorial (keeping in mind that people not creating an Elves Faction will still have to create the LWA strings).

I know they already exist. However, it's only because I chose Elves that it occurs. I have left it in since if you were for example creating "Corsairs" or "Dwarves" neither of those entries exist and you'd need to add them.

Thirdly, you used the Rohan foundation plot art for your elves foundation plot in the tutorial.  Since there is already an elves foundation plot (with a slightly different name then yours in the tutorial)  i would use that art as it would make more sense (It has a cool little Lothlorien Leaf emblem thing instead of Rohan's horse head).

Once again true, but it's only the elves that have this so for generic purposes I left it as the Rohan symbol. If you wish to use the Elven symbol, use SelectPortrait = BPECamp_Plot.

Apart from these minor things the tutorial worked great and has certainly helped me get started, so thanks a lot!

Gondolin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Edited by AdmiralGT, 28 February 2005 - 09:09 AM.

#8 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

I keep getting an error when I start the game with the modified civilianbuildings.ini file.... help please....
Posted Image

#9 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:17 PM

What does the error say?

#10 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:23 PM

hang on... I think I can fix it....
Posted Image

#11 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

.... VICTORY!!! Fixed. But now I need to figure out how to get the "PlyrElves/teamPlyrElves" menu thing to appear. All that appears when I create the base is "PlyrCivilian/teamPlyrCivilian" :(

Edited by Moria_Goblin256, 28 February 2005 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

#12 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:55 PM

You might have to place an elven building first so that PlyrElves gets added to the drop down menu.

#13 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

How would I place one?
Posted Image

#14 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

Place an Elven Foundation. It's further down in the tutorial of how to place one.

#15 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

*sigh* this is difficult...
Posted Image

#16 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

Imagine him having to write a tutorial on it. :)

#17 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

The problem is that I suck at following tutorials.....
Posted Image

#18 Moria_Goblin256

Moria_Goblin256
  • Project Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:10 PM

Maybe there's something wrong with the foundation data i'm using:

;Moria Goblin Building Foundation -- the area where faction Morian Goblin buildings can be built on
Object MGoblinBuildingFoundation

SelectPortrait = BPMCamp_Plot

; *** ART Parameters ***

Draw = W3DScriptedModelDraw ModuleTag_Draw2
DefaultModelConditionState
Model = OBBFoundationX
End
ModelConditionState = WORLD_BUILDER
Model = MBSizeTemplate
End

End

Draw = W3DFloorDraw ModuleTag_Draw
ModelName = MBFoundationX
End

;PlacementViewAngle = 0

; ***DESIGN parameters ***
DisplayName = OBJECT:MGoblinBuildingFoundation
Side = MGoblin
EditorSorting = STRUCTURE
ThreatLevel = 1.0

BuildCost = 1
BuildTime = 5.0 ; in seconds
VisionRange = 160.0 ; Shroud clearing distance
ShroudClearingRange = 161

CommandSet = MGoblinFoundationCommandSet

; *** AUDIO Parameters ***

VoiceSelect = Gui_PlotSelect

; *** ENGINEERING Parameters ***
RadarPriority = STRUCTURE
KindOf = STRUCTURE SELECTABLE IMMOBILE BASE_FOUNDATION UNATTACKABLE MP_COUNT_FOR_VICTORY NO_COLLIDE DO_NOT_CLASSIFY
Behavior = FoundationAIUpdate ModuleTag_foundationAI
End

Behavior = CastleMemberBehavior ModuleTag_CMB
End

Body = ImmortalBody ModuleTag_05
MaxHealth = 15000.0
End

Geometry = BOX
GeometryMajorRadius = 24.0
GeometryMinorRadius = 24.0
GeometryHeight = 0.8
GeometryIsSmall = No
Shadow = SHADOW_VOLUME
BuildCompletion = PLACED_BY_PLAYER
End
Posted Image

#19 Lavskaegge

Lavskaegge
  • Project Team
  • 177 posts
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:37 PM

OK I have a problem to load WB whan I have modified my ini files...

the wb loader only loads half and then the loader shuts down..
what could be causing this..?

nevermind I solved it myself , it was an error in the ini files.

take care

Edited by Lavskaegge, 28 February 2005 - 09:58 PM.

#20 jaao

jaao
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Projects:youngsql.elite team

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

To AdmiralGT:
A few fixes for your civilianbuildings.ini:  I found that you had made the "caslte" typo numerous times as you probably copy + pasted it, so that should be fixed easily with a replace all.  In addition one of the lines in the ini refers to an "ELVES_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST".  You probably used this text reference in your own mod but it doesn't exist from the perspective of your tutorials.  I will probably add it on my own (in gamedata.ini?) for the same purposes you did, but for your download you should put it as "GONDOR_FLAG_OUTPOST_UNPACK_COST" or something generic. 

In your first tutorial "Adding a New Faction- The Basics"  you say to create in the CSF file  two strings "LWA:Elves" and "LWA:ElvesArmy".  These already exist in the CSF file because the game uses them for the Good Side Campaign where an elven army goes to Helms Deep, so I would mention that in the tutorial (keeping in mind that people not creating an Elves Faction will still have to create the LWA strings). 

Thirdly, you used the Rohan foundation plot art for your elves foundation plot in the tutorial.  Since there is already an elves foundation plot (with a slightly different name then yours in the tutorial)  i would use that art as it would make more sense (It has a cool little Lothlorien Leaf emblem thing instead of Rohan's horse head). 

Gondolin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh , send your elves faction mod to me so i can try it out:D I got problems with the .csf editing! What should i open the lotr.csf file with? program??
The norwegian elite is in the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users