The end of the world

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Projects:Making a master plan to destroy the consumerist society.
  •  Revora's Local Forum Whore

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:27 PM

What do you guys will happen?
Will the world end in a nuclear war? a new ice age? perhaps like in the movie waterworld or perhaps something more religious like the Mayan calender ending in 2012... :laugh:
I'm all ears for ur thoughts... :)

Edited by Hooligan, 15 March 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Lurking moar since 2004 2003!

#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

It'll be the Yellowstone Park supervolcano.

Sorry...watched the mini-series on BBC the past coupla days:P

Blow up all of America, then freeze the world with sulphur dioxide. Anyone caught in the ash cloud will die because the ash will get into their lungs, mix with the natural moisture in the lungs and turn to cement. So essentially your lungs will be cemented to death. w00t.

#3 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:40 PM

Anyone caught in the Ash cloud will die because the Ash will get into their lungs, mix with the natural moisture in the lungs and turn to cement.
OMFG rahter sadistic thought, Ash. :laugh:
Hmmm whats this 'supervolcano' you speak of?
Is it THAT humongous to wipe of the smile of EVERYBODIES face? :cynical:

#4 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:42 PM

Think Mount Saint Helens.

And then multiply that by about a hundredfold.

The ash cloud that this supervolcano will release will cover 80% of the USA guaranteed. It will utterly change the face of the planet.

#5 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

Terrifying. Indeed. But then...
Any other ideas what could be likely to happen??
I'm pretty sure the Green house effect will come... unless we could some how do something about it..
And what could we do to counter such major threats... that's a nice idea... to think about too..?

#6 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

To counteract global warming, we either need to:
a) Pump sulphur dioxide into the stratosphere to cause global cooling (that doesn't sound like a good idea to me, due to acid rain), or
b) just cut down carbon emissions. Convert cars to electricity, use nuclear and solar power...

We need to find alternates to oil, coal and gas, especially for plastics. And we should replant a shitload of trees.

I think governments should go hell for leather on a recycling programme. Where I live there is next to NO emphasis on the environment. But then again, where I live there isn't much of an environment...

#7 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

Yeh thats what is said all the time...
so what would we do about this supervolcano to prevent it from erupting? :laugh:

#8 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

It will be burnt to a crisp when the sun suddenly expands due to the change in the fission reactions from Hydrogen to Helium and then become a desolate rock floating in space due to the sun's collapse.

#9 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

Yeh thats what is said all the time...
so what would we do about this supervolcano to prevent it from erupting?  :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL there's nothing you CAN do.

If you drill into it (which you can't. It's 4km down and nobody's ever been that far), you'll release the pressure and create a vent from which it will erupt.

And let's face it...dropping water onto it won't help :)

Best bet: we all buy asbestos suits and stock up on tinned foods...we'll be needing them for that volcanic winter.

#10 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:17 PM

It will be burnt to a crisp when the sun suddenly expands due to the change in the fission reactions from Hydrogen to Helium and then become a desolate rock floating in space due to the sun's collapse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes... Didnt thought about that one...
this one will happen eventually... but i think the earth will be fucked before the sun's end... :laugh:

Well if the greenhouse effect does eventually become severe, i think we'll either get one hell of a wet planet, or a catestropic climate shift as in tThe Day After Tomorrow...

Edited by Hooligan, 15 March 2005 - 04:23 PM.

#11 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

the wraith attack and harvest us all for food :laugh:
Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

#12 Saberhawk

Saberhawk
  • Project Team
  • 70 posts
  • Projects:XRML Mod Launcher

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

You should see how California has been these 3 months. It's been over 2 centuries since it has rained this much in a year!
[Firefox] [Against TCPA!]
If it ain't broke, tweak it!

Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating system, written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can not stand 1 bit of competition.

Linux has no Windows, no Gates, and Apache inside. :)

#13 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

probably we will all get bored and die willingly :laugh:
Posted Image

#14 cr@zyiv@n

cr@zyiv@n

Pest-Patrol

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Projects:Annoying Hybrid

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

I bet Space Travel is going to play a major role in our later survival, the Earth will once become too small for it's population, a population which could already have consumed/destroyed much of Earth's resources.

Now Space Travel is like taking a walk around the block, you know where you're going, you've been there before and you'll be back in a quarter of an hour. What I mean is that the needs of life should be put into a spaceship, a small world, for it's passengers to survive a long way, so that even on board, astronauts are trained, childs are born, children are taught at schools, universities, high schools, markets, food should be produced, fuel shouldbe created, Oxigen should be created and the carbon dioxide should be removed(maybe by plants)and so many more things. Also don't forget about the animals, you need males and females of nearly every sort, and which animals are you going to take with you, and which you won't ? It could create a major problem in the food chain, because you can't put all animals in one box on that ship.

Faillure underway in one of these categories would be fatal for mankind.

Maybe it will not be one large trip, it might go in stages, and further and further each time, and resupplying at each station.
Or something with cryogenetic sleep, wich conservates the state of the body for a long journey, yet, there should be some kind of supercomputer in charge, because all people on board aren't conscious of what's happening.

This ship would have to be built in orbit, as it would not be able to be launched from upon earth, but would have to be humongeous, whether or not people will remain on Earth, this would then be the hypermodern version of Noah's Arch...

I'm glad I'm not there when the selection is made of people that go with the ship, and those who are left on Earth, when only the population was a problem, this might be a relief, but if the Sun was about to swallow you and pop thereafter, I'd rather be dead at that very moment...

#15 343guiltyspark

343guiltyspark
  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • Projects:currently thinking of an name

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:18 AM

space will probly be our planets savior, or our demise.

we could have an alien race attack out planet and kill most of the population. it proply scorch most of the earth and the storms then would kill the rest of the population.
or we could have a an alien envasion for from the movie signs and they would use their technology to their advantage.havest the bodies and then leave the planet. the population would be weakend andwe could be at risk of extiction.

or the aliens can come give us the technology to run from our planet as it gives out its last death throves. or from the sun blowing up or going to a red gaint.

so its a 50-50 situation if you ask me

#16 Kazyumi

Kazyumi

We Shall Purify

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

http://www.albinobla...m/flash/end.php
Lol very ontopic! :p

hmmm... ah well Aliens?
I dunno, dont we have any other *natural* ideas? :p

Edited by Hooligan, 16 March 2005 - 04:34 PM.

#17 BlckWyerve

BlckWyerve

The end of Tech civilization

• Project Team
  • 339 posts
  • Projects:Project? What Project? >_>
  •  Inside Looking Out

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:11 PM

There's too big a grey area when dealing with aliens. We don't know enough/not willing to know enough to judge what threat, if any, that poses.

If there's an omnipresent force that's been holding our hand throughout history, surely it's still there, right?

#18 Az3r^

Az3r^

Resident Fan Boy/Tester

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Nothing Atm .
  •  Oldbie Slacker since August 03

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

http://www.albinobla...m/flash/end.php
Lol very ontopic! :)

hmmm... ah well Aliens?
I dunno, dont we have any other *natural* ideas? :party:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love that flash :D
Quotes :
Paradox @ Ali - "And what the fuck would you know? Ever been? Oh no, sorry, your map says 'HERE BE DRAGONS' anywhere outside of your rock"

#19 Ugbluz

Ugbluz
  • Project Team
  • 93 posts
  • Projects:Drums in the Deep, A Moria Faction mod for BFME. Currently: A beta tester and a new mapper

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Either the yellowstone volcano, or America... Look at the stats. 1/4 of the worlds pollution comes from America.. and yet has only about 1/10th of the worlds population, they dont wanna reduce pollution because of the fact that their economy will sink! To be honest i think thats really selfish, its not as if its just America's planet.. One other thing is that we are actually cooling the Earth, and without that Global warming would be even worse, take September 12th 2001 for example, many flights where cancelled... You know those trails in the sky the planes leave behind? well, that blocks out alot of the suns heat. On that day America's average tempreture went up by 0.5 degree's C. Now that may not sound like alot, but that can do ALOT of damage, so unless the world stops polluting we are all screwed, things will be set in motion that can not be undone...
1. Polar ice caps melt, half of the current land mass of the world is underwater, including some of the busiest world cities, eg. London, New York, Hong Kong and many more.
2. The heat will increase further as the water heats up, gas pockets of methane under the sea will rupture, creating methane bubbles, firstly making the sea like acid, then increasing global warming even futher!
By this time the reaction has been set and nothing can stop it.
3. The amazon rain forest (one great big oxygen factory) and other rainforest's are no longer moist, they catch fire, such a large amount of CO2 in the atmosphere FURTHER increases global tempreture's, THEN all of Africa will be a desert with tempretures up to 150 Degree's C, uninhabitable, UK will be a tropical country (half submerged) Much of America will be a desert, and basically the whole world will have been screwed up.

Within 50 years of us continuing to pollute as we do now, the changes will have been set in motion, and will be irraversable. Some say in 30 years because of the global cooling...

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING.
Posted Image

"They have a cave troll"
"Drums in the Deep" Beta tester and Mapper

Posted Image

#20 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

Either the yellowstone volcano, or America... Look at the stats. 1/4 of the worlds pollution comes from America.. and yet has only about 1/10th of the worlds population, they dont wanna reduce pollution because of the fact that their economy will sink! To be honest i think thats really selfish, its not as if its just America's planet.. One other thing is that we are actually cooling the Earth, and without that Global warming would be even worse, take September 12th 2001 for example, many flights where cancelled... You know those trails in the sky the planes leave behind? well, that blocks out alot of the suns heat. On that day America's average tempreture went up by 0.5 degree's C. Now that may not sound like alot, but that can do ALOT of damage, so unless the world stops polluting we are all screwed, things will be set in motion that can not be undone...
1. Polar ice caps melt, half of the current land mass of the world is underwater, including some of the busiest world cities, eg. London, New York, Hong Kong and many more.
2. The heat will increase further as the water heats up, gas pockets of methane under the sea will rupture, creating methane bubbles, firstly making the sea like acid, then increasing global warming even futher!
By this time the reaction has been set and nothing can stop it.
3. The amazon rain forest (one great big oxygen factory) and other rainforest's are no longer moist, they catch fire, such a large amount of CO2 in the atmosphere FURTHER increases global tempreture's, THEN all of Africa will be a desert with tempretures up to 150 Degree's C, uninhabitable, UK will be a tropical country (half submerged) Much of America will be a desert, and basically the whole world will have been screwed up.

Within 50 years of us continuing to pollute as we do now, the changes will have been set in motion, and will be irraversable. Some say in 30 years because of the global cooling...

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL no chance of that. The polar ice caps melting won't cause a world flood, it will cause another ice age. We are half way there. Scientists reckon it only took 10degrees raise in temp to make the world go into an ice age millions of years ago. We have risen the temperature about 5.5degrees, they reckon a few more and we'll be well into starting another iceage. Its said it will happen this century, and i expect it will. Humans are too ignorant and arrogant to change, it will happen. Mankind, supposably we are the most intelligent animal on earth, but whats intelligence if we refuse to use it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users