• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

After just over one month since our v1.0 we now present:

The Dawn Of Skirmish v1.1 AI Mod Download

Thanks to the global DoW Community for waiting so patiently for this release and hope you get yer arse so handed to you like I enjoy a few times having our team making it happen!

We'll be here for any comments/questions/cries of mercy..

Its v1.1 so expect many updates/fixes/enhancements in the forthcoming weeks/months! Faction Modders can take special note of the script changes.txt file to see what AI-related scripts were altered to get to where we are today.

Thanks and get kick'n on da field 'o' war!

Once more, a MAJOR THANK YOU to CORSIX for the awesome custom installer+previous version detection system+deinstaller!!!

TuD!

Edited by thudo, 24 April 2005 - 07:37 PM.

Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#2 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

Most excellent, as you know 1.2b is a real breakthrough, the MOD is coming along nicely, more reports to follow!

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Oozish.. glad we have someone who can examine things at the raw gameplay side of things. Keep the reports coming.

#4 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

I'm reposting this, it's the last game I played today, going back for more. I can say this, this MOD just really makes this game so much fun to play. Here's from my ownage of Eldar on BattleMarshes report, btw, i sent you the replay to look at.

I just played another one vs. eldar, battlemarshes, me in position 2 (top of the map) on HARDER...at first I was disappointed based on my last ork battle, since I was able to just push into their base and kept reinforcing their and eventually anhilliated their forces (after defeating their commander and troops in a skirmish outside their base by the south critical; which was crucial to winning this).

Looking at the replay, however, the layout of the map with the turrets so far away from the buildings allowed me to really create havoc with an early hit like this. I never reached tier 2...I watched from the eldar perspective and I'm not sure what else they could have done. However, I'm sure a skilled eldar player would know.

I sent the replay to thud to look at, but it may just be that the eldar on this map vs. SM are suceptible (sp?) to this sort of strategy/attack; and I was micro managing my ass off.

#5 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

You can post the replay here as well for the AI team members to see. I think the board has enough room for it. Also try here to host it:

http://www.flypicture.com
(Site seems down at present.. but should go up soon)

Then post the download link here..

#6 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:42 PM

Heres' a replay talked about below. Thanks thud for the link to fly picture, cool!

Download Link

Anyway, just played chaos on meeting of minds, HARDER, and I think i see a big problem is they let me have their strategic points if I take them. It would be nice if they'd vigorously defend those just outside base points. Because I actually built up a tier 2 turret right outside their base (next to the relic) and put one on the relic too since I had so much resource. I'd like to post that replay up if possible. I'll look into hosting it and would like to see what you guys think is going on.

This isn't played well by me at all, but I still managed to box them up in their base.

Edited by oozish, 28 April 2005 - 04:48 PM.

#7 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

How can I post a replay here?

Anyway, just played chaos on meeting of minds, HARDER, and I think i see a big problem is they let me have their strategic points if I take them.  It would be nice if they'd vigorously defend those just outside base points.  Because I actually built up a tier 2 turret right outside their base (next to the relic) and put one on the relic too since I had so much resource.  I'd like to post that replay up if possible.  I'll look into hosting it and would like to see what you guys think is going on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know that map so the replay is important. Note the feature below when creating your message to make attachments. However, ensure the attachment is compressed (zipped) to minimize its size. I want to try that map myself with some special attack_rating and stop_attack values. I think the AI has not reached an appropriate attack_rating value to make the risky "take-back" attempt if your rushing quickly. Still.. something that should be easy to tweak now that the personalities are all in one now. Wheww!

#8 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

see the edited topic above. I didn't zip that though. :(

man, that site is slow...but I tested it and it does work.

Edited by oozish, 28 April 2005 - 04:01 PM.

#9 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

Esssh... flypicture.com is uncharacteristically-slllloooowwwwww.. ah well.. we have good and bad days... :)

#10 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

I'm really not trying to bore everyone with my replays, but here is the first one I played vs. 1.2b AI MOD. This is vs. eldar on battle marshes, and to me it must show something because it's pure ownage and I'm sure a skilled eldar player would do alot differently. Please look at this to improve the AI.

Download Link

and here is another link to DEADMANS CROSSING where I hole SM's up really fast. They make a decent comeback at least they got some dreadnaugts and try to tech but the thing is I should never be able to make such inroads into their territory so earlyl. This is actaully a pretty cool game tho. :)

Download Link

Edited by oozish, 28 April 2005 - 05:20 PM.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

You definatly have too high hopes for the AI, oozish. It will NEVER play like a skilled player. It will never see the big picture, it will never be as smart as a player.

#12 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

You definatly have too high hopes for the AI, oozish. It will NEVER play like a skilled player. It will never see the big picture, it will never be as smart as a player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, i realize that! :ninja: Did you watch the replays?

#13 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:29 PM

Yes, I watched them. Chaos performed ok apart from being too passive both defending its posts and capturing more. I liked a lot of its actions in combat but for you it might be trivial.

Eldar is clearly weak in 1vs1. AI can not manage spiders and prefers banshees to reapers against marines. Its not our fault, its the default AI doing the choice and hard to correct.

I think the AI is better in bigger battles on bigger maps. For some reason it seems easy to close its base entries as you did against chaos.

#14 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

Yes, I watched them. Chaos performed ok apart from being too passive both defending its posts and capturing more. I liked a lot of its actions in combat but for you it might be trivial.

Eldar is clearly weak in 1vs1. AI can not manage spiders and prefers banshees to reapers against marines. Its not our fault, its the default AI doing the choice and hard to correct.

I think the AI is better in bigger battles on bigger maps. For some reason it seems easy to close its base entries as you did against chaos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, ok then. If you're satisfied with the AI as far as what you are able to implement change in 1vs1, I guess that might be as good as it gets?

That will mean I'll move on to bigger maps, I imagine. :ninja: I'm hoping I'm wrong tho, as I really like to keep it simple with 1vs1 gameplay.

#15 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

I'm not satisfied but I don't expect wonders. AI can't counter infiltration, whirlwinds, flank moves and is full of limits. A rewrite can improve it. will you pay me ? Guess it takes some month work 10h a day.

#16 Guest_oozish_*

Guest_oozish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

I'm not satisfied but I don't expect wonders. AI can't counter infiltration, whirlwinds, flank moves and is full of limits. A rewrite can improve it. will you pay me ? Guess it takes some month work 10h a day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, AI MOD makes it alot better than it was and that's what counts.

#17 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

We're doing things slowly but surely. We have the advantage of time before and after the expansion. Before being much groundwork can be accomplished and new innovative scripts can be coded which Relic never conceived. After being we will get to see what Relic has done to improve the Skirmish AI based on our feedback.

Tacit and company have been notified of our "requests" in a secure email so we've all done our part to ensure our voices are heard for the future. Expansion is now 4+ months away so thats plenty of time to ensure WA expands on the basis DoW started.

I am *supremely confident* about our team's ability to push forward and really blow Relic away with some impressive scripts (if we haven't done so already largely thanks to power scripters like Larkin and Corsix).

#18 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

I will retire from this nice project. Fed up with DoW coding. Spend hours debugging until I realized that some basic AI code is broken. Countless test battles have taken the fun out of the game for me. Relics support is piss poor too. Combined with endless discussions about where to go with the mod ... it's enough.

Will skip DoW until the expansion. Good luck for your project.
AI is better than before and it was fun- until now.

#19 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Wait wait... What?

Larkin.. all okay? I know you worked super hard to get out v1.1 and then fix it up real good post-release. I had a concern you might burn-yourself out and, ugh, my thoughts seem to have been proven.

I'll chat with you privately..

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

Larkin - sorry to hear that. You are obviously a talented guy and I hope you reconsider - if the AI is broke like you say we will need all the help we can get. Plus, I was kind of hoping you could teach me a thing or two :p

All the best in whatever you do.

Cheers,

Flenser

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users