The classic returns: Dune 2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

I don't know how many of you have played Dune 2. If you've never heard of it, shame on you! Dune 2 was the 1992 classic Westwood game that started off the RTS genre as we know it. Most of the elements from Dune 2 are still found in later games such as RA2 or Generals. Construction Yards, Power Plants, Refineries, resource gathering, Dune 2 had it all.

Ok let's get to the good bit. In Windows XP, I've managed to get Dune 2 working completely and without hitches. No strange behaviour, and no stupid out-of-memories either. The sound works perfectly, and so does the music. So if you'd like to play that old classic again for that warm feeling of nostalgia, then here's how.

1. Of course you need Dune 2 first. If you don't already have it, you can get the original fully-patched version here (4 MB). Since it was released in 1992 and is no longer supported, sold or updated, it is considered 'abandonware' and therefore free for download. So there's nothing illegal about getting it. I really doubt EA still cares about it, anyway. :cool:

2. Now you need the sound patch. This patch lets you choose 3 different devices for sound output, rather than one device for all 3. You can get the sound patch here. When you run that file, it creates several files in the folder it is in. Move and overwrite all those files into the folder where you extracted Dune 2.

3. Run the setup program. Dune 2 being an old DOS game, there were no standards for sound or anything else. Programmers would write their own sound and mouse support, then let you pick your device out of a list of supported devices. So go to your Dune 2 folder, and run setup.exe. Choose 1. for Setup Questions, and answer the questions as follows:
Play sound from: Sound Canvas (also known as MPU-401 or General Midi)
Play sound effects from: Sound Blaster Pro (these are algorithmically generated sounds, no games use this anymore)
Play digitized samples from: Sound Blaster Pro (the 'wav' type sounds you're more familiar with)
Then answer 'yes' to the question about extended memory, and of course 'yes' to the mouse question. When the summary comes up, type Y to save the configuration.

4. We're not there yet. Although you can run the game now, it will be buggy and it will quite frequently lock up (with me in WinXP at least). Windows XP's DOS emulation is far from perfect, but there's a much better program called DOSbox: http://prdownloads.s...rge.net/dosbox/ Grab the latest version (currently 0.63) and install it.

5. Nearly done. Now we need to set DOSbox up so we can run Dune 2 in it. Go to Start -> Programs -> DOSbox -> DOSbox.conf. Find the [cpu] section, and change 'cycles' (the clock speed of the emulated processor, in kHz) from the default 3000 to about 10000-20000, depending on what you like. I noticed that 10000 made it lag a bit on the last few missions, so you might want to try higher. Don't set it too high though or Windows will start to lag.
Now, create a new shortcut (or copy the existing DOSbox one from the start menu) and enter this as the target:
"<path and filename to dosbox.exe, this is C:\Program Files\DOSBox\dosbox.exe by default>" <dune2.exe path and filename, e.g. C:\dune2\dune2.exe> -conf "<path and filename to dosbox.conf, this is C:\Program Files\DOSBox\dosbox.conf by default>" -fullscreen -exit
Don't forget to replace the things inside < > with the actual values.

6. Looks like you're set! Now run that shortcut, and enjoy the game! If you run into any trouble, post here and someone might be able to solve it.

Have fun! :dry:

Edited by ImmoMan, 02 May 2005 - 08:42 PM.

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

is it multi-player?

#3 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

Nope, it's single-player only. Not that that's not enough fun anyway...

#4 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

w00t it works :dry:.

#5 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

I can't get that thing to work. when I write the target it says that it isn't valid and when I got it to work Dos box says dosbox.conf is an invalid command.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

The command should start with dosbox.exe, not with dosbox.conf. I made a typo there I see... :)

Fixed.

#7 Batabusa

Batabusa
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

YAY! Love that game...

I got a version you where you don't need to emulate dos! It's found here Dune 2

Abandonia is a great abandonware community :)
They got shitloads of classic games
Live hard, die young and leave a beautiful corpse
Posted Image

#8 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

I know that site, it's pretty good yeah.

And as I said, I only know what happens here. And non-emulated it runs very buggy. Music doesn't play, sounds are missing, and sometimes the game even hangs/crashes. Within DOSbox it runs perfectly. Had no problems at all (other than a bug that is part of Dune 2 itself). I don't know how it runs on yours, but you should try it with DOSbox anyway. Maybe you'll be surprised. :)

Edited by ImmoMan, 02 May 2005 - 08:54 PM.

#9 Batabusa

Batabusa
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

well sounds play, but the game crashes sometimes.
Live hard, die young and leave a beautiful corpse
Posted Image

#10 F-G

F-G

This poster may randomly disappear for long periods.

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  ¿?

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

About DOSBox, it far easier to use it with a frontend. D-FEND

#11 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

Not if you know DOS it isn't. :)

#12 F-G

F-G

This poster may randomly disappear for long periods.

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  ¿?

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Agree, but not all know (not included in this group).

#13 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

I pity the silly sod who doesn't know basic DOS commands... :)

#14 BlckWyerve

BlckWyerve

The end of Tech civilization

• Project Team
  • 339 posts
  • Projects:Project? What Project? >_>
  •  Inside Looking Out

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:00 AM

I know that site, it's pretty good yeah.

And as I said, I only know what happens here. And non-emulated it runs very buggy. Music doesn't play, sounds are missing, and sometimes the game even hangs/crashes. Within DOSbox it runs perfectly. Had no problems at all (other than a bug that is part of Dune 2 itself). I don't know how it runs on yours, but you should try it with DOSbox anyway. Maybe you'll be surprised. :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Running it with VDMSound fixes all that.

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

I hope they bring Quake 2 to the Abandonware scene soon. God I love that game, and I'd love to see it revived.

If anybody has a link for that, I'd be grateful.

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Ive got it working but I used the tutorial on abandonia.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Komataguri

Komataguri

¯\(º_o)/¯

• Banned
  • 974 posts
  • Projects:Tiberium Productions
  •  Reverend K-Rist, Sheppard of the mindless masses and tender to the flock of idiocy.

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

I pity the silly sod who doesn't know basic DOS commands... :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

deltree immoman /y

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Guest_ImmoMan_*

Guest_ImmoMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

Error deleting C:\Documents and Settings\Komataguri\immoman, file or directory does not exist.

#19 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:52 PM

Ahh, the good old days of DOS. There's nothing like a bit of console work to make you love your GUI OS even more.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#20 Athena

Athena

Embody the Truth

• Undead
  • 6,946 posts
  •  Former Community Leader

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

:p Indeed, I remember on our old computer we had DOS and Windows 95. My dad made this menu in DOS, which let us play the old DOSgames by pressing keyboard shortcuts, like F1, F2, etc. I know a bit DOS language, so I was able to initiate the games without the menu. My brother and sister thought it was magical somehow, since I type very fast, there were like omg what are you doing and why so fast lol. DOS was great in those days, if you knew how to handle it. Luckily we still have that computer, and I can still impress them with my skills lol (which isn't that hard since they are a bunch of n00bs).
BTW I started to play Dune2, and I must say, with the music and the SFX it really feels like playing it when I was young. It is an old game, but if you look at the things that already were there, I'd say it's pretty advanced for the time.
I have one question though. It might be stupid, but I couldn't find the answer on the internet, so I thought I'd ask it here. If you harvester gets eaten by a Sand-worm, will you automatically get a new one, or are you doomed when don't have enough money to buy a new one? (this is, if you only have one refinary with one harvester). I waited, but nothing happened, though I remember I read somewhere that you will get a new harvester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users