22 replies to this topic

#1 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

I'm planning to make sides more ballanced in next version but first I need your opinion and some suggestions. In fact, not all sides can deal with early defenses. To fix it, I remaked some units for them to be effective vs defenses

Early anti defense units (available at Rank 1):
-All USA: Stealth Fighters (they are now effective vs defenses as in normal Generals)
-Tank general: Troop Crawler with Sniper cannon
-Other China generals: Inferno cannon
-Stealth general: Missile Scorpion (its range is increased, so it is effective vs defenses now)
-Chemical general: Mortar buggy
-Demo general: Mortar buggy
-Assault general: ??? (please suggest something)

Also I decided to add heavy defenses to all generals:

Advanced defense structures (available at Rank 3):
-Air Force: Designator
-Laser: Annihilator (new heavy laser cannon)
-Super Wpn: Tomahawk fire base
-Cyber: ??? (please suggest something)
-Tank: Artillery battery (new)
-Infantry: Artillery battery (new)
-Nuke: do not need anything because he have nuke cannons at rank 3
-Flame: do not need anything because Smerch is available at rank 3 now
-Stealth: Sniper Site (but it is not enough)
-Chemical: Chemical Bunker (but it is not enough)
-Demo: ??? (please suggest something)
-Assault: ??? (please suggest something)

And here are some screenies of what I have done already:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 sturm

sturm
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

your ideas are top notch as usual, all hail Creator!!

as for the defences and anti-defences i have absolutly no ideas :)

#3 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:03 PM

Off the top of my head,

Cybr. A drone control base defense. has 6-10 very agressive drones that it respawns at a good rate.

Demo, some kind of Mine instalation, maby create a VERY big minefield, or have a mine thrower like the .02 infantry cluster tank. Automate it, so the player doesn't have to place the mines manualy and let it throw 3 minefields at once in a randome spread.

Assault, something akin to the artilary site. I personaly usualy think of Assault as the "Profesional Army" of the GLA, let them have some half decent weapons that don't feel like they are completely made of junk. OR, my friend keeps suggesting a Tower or a building that spawns MOB members near it... almost like the Cybr defense, but a heafty croud of angry mobbers that stay in the area

Stealth, A building that makes a tunnel (like the sneek attack, just smaller) pop out of the ground near the attacker and spawn an apropriate troop... then disapear back into the ground. could use a script very similare to the designitor tower. (I might try this one myself)

Chemical, thats a tough one... maybe a scud launching base defense... Or a HEAVY defense site with biger upgrade options, including a scud launcher, a marauder cannon pair, and a heavy chem sprayer for anti infantry.

Also, just an off thaught... Air USA should get a small bunker instead of patriot batteries. This will give air an incintive to actualy build a baracks while offering a slightly more rounded defense than the patriot battery. As it stands, i've always felt AirF was too week against infantry. It would also help add some more variety to USA base defenses across the board.

Edited by Pendaelose, 02 May 2005 - 11:44 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#4 Monsunami

Monsunami
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

The new ideas are awesome. Nuke general definitely doesn' t need anymore. Assault gen might can get some sort of tunnel network which allows all units inside to shoot enemies nearby and protection from bunker busting bombs. For stealth, sniper site is enough if they can hit armored and air units, not sure? I didn't like smerch as much and defense for flame is kinda weak compared to others unless you add pendalose missle patriot.
My comp specs: AMD 2500+ Barton cpu, Abit Nforce 7 motherboard, 1GB Kingston memory, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, Creative Audigy 2 soundcard, Creative SBS4.1 surround speakers, Sony CD-RW 52x49x52, Liteon DVDRW, maxtor 60GB harddrive.

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 General Thrax

General Thrax
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:52 AM

Early anti defense units (available at Rank 1):
-All USA: Stealth Fighters (they are now effective vs defenses as in normal Generals)
-Tank general: Troop Crawler with Sniper cannon
-Other China generals: Inferno cannon
-Stealth general: Missile Scorpion (its range is increased, so it is effective vs defenses now)
-Chemical general: Mortar buggy
-Demo general: Mortar buggy
-Assault general: technical with 2 mini scuds

Also I decided to add heavy defenses to all generals:

Advanced defense structures (available at Rank 3):
-Air Force: Designator
-Laser: Annihilator (new heavy laser cannon)
-Super Wpn: Tomahawk fire base
-Cyber: Big sentry turret like thing
-Tank: Artillery battery (new)
-Infantry: Artillery battery (new)
-Nuke: do not need anything because he have nuke cannons at rank 3
-Flame: do not need anything because Smerch is available at rank 3 now
-Stealth: BIGGER Sniper Site ,
-Chemical: Chemical Bunker , Something that fires acid balls
-Demo: something that fires demo traps at long range
-Assault: Something like the destroyer

Edited by General Thrax, 03 May 2005 - 02:52 AM.

#6 Guest_Guest_sam_*_*

Guest_Guest_sam_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

so you are not thinking of stop the rank thing(that means pandelose has to do a lot of work).that is the only thing i dont like at your mod.what can i say you have impreassed as all,your work is truelly good but i suggest of taking out the ranks.the only thing i can suggest right now is:
1 make stronger defense for the airf general(replace patriot)
2 add pandelose's defense structure for flame generall
i hope that i help a bit :)
your work is trully good just becarefull for balance isues :thumbsup:

#7 Monsunami

Monsunami
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yah, the rank thing is also what I don't like about it. Even with the speed up patch, it is so slow. Not to mention the player with higher ranking usually has an advantage. And keeps it.
My comp specs: AMD 2500+ Barton cpu, Abit Nforce 7 motherboard, 1GB Kingston memory, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, Creative Audigy 2 soundcard, Creative SBS4.1 surround speakers, Sony CD-RW 52x49x52, Liteon DVDRW, maxtor 60GB harddrive.

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:20 AM

Yah, the rank thing is also what I don't like about it.  Even with the speed up patch, it is so slow.  Not to mention the player with higher ranking usually has an advantage.  And keeps it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats my feeling exactly.

But I dunno if I'll do anything with .04 When I started working on .03 it was only meant to be small changes. I feel a little lke the stuff I've got working on right now is way over the bounds of the permission I was given, its quickly becoming its own mod. Unless invited, I don't plan to Hijack Creator's mod anymore than I already have. but I will still release what I have when I get all the little things just right.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#9 sturm

sturm
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

Also, just an off thaught... Air USA should get a small bunker instead of patriot batteries. This will give air an incintive to actualy build a baracks while offering a slightly more rounded defense than the patriot battery. As it stands, i've always felt AirF was too week against infantry. It would also help add some more variety to USA base defenses across the board.

if this was added how would he stop the SCUD Launcher and Tomahawk Launchers missiles?

#10 WARthog

WARthog
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

Here are some ideas for advanced defences:

Cyber: stationary drone controller
Demo: DemoTrap Katapult
Sniper:if the sniper site is able to damage vehicles its enough
Chemical:does'nt he already have an artillery gun for the defence site? Otherwise, how about a artillery gun or long range missile launcher with anthrax/acid warheads

#11 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

The demo general could have some kind of structure tha could looks like the defiler, but with a catapult to launch demo traps at the enemy. The demotraps would all be in a "rolling mat" thing, coming out of a small building where they are made. Just like the chinese war factory, where it have small boxes at the side.

When the enemy comes close enough, it launches a demo trap at him, with the same type of movement that a battle bus has when it dies, ie, twisting in the air...

Maybe not a catapult, but some kind of launcher, like this one, or two tracks together with a "chair" thing where the barrel could be put.

EDIT: The stealth general could have a big site, where you could buy "upgrades" to select wich type of troops do you want there. So you could mix snipers, stingers, heavy anti-tank rpg soldiers, mortars, machine gun soldiers...

Edited by Gilgamesh, 04 May 2005 - 11:10 AM.

#12 Guest_Vaginomano_*

Guest_Vaginomano_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

Could you add a "deploy" order to the nuke cannon? It just doesnt work well when you order it to guard area. It "undeploys" and moves losing a lot of time, and i dont like to have them firing for an undefined time at the ground. That way the nuke cannon would be useful as a true heavy defense :)

#13 Guest_Guest_sam_*_*

Guest_Guest_sam_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:41 AM

Could you add a "deploy" order to the nuke cannon? It just doesnt work well when you order it to guard area. It "undeploys" and moves losing a lot of time, and i dont like to have them firing for an undefined time at the ground. That way the nuke cannon would be useful as a true heavy defense :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree plus the garding area is smaler then its range :)

#14 alpha86

alpha86

Vampire Queen

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

First of all the artillery batteries and the annihilator both look damn awesome like per usual.

For the Demo General (heavy defence) you should make something like the artillery batter which fires demo traps instead of artillery shells.

For the Cyber (heavy defence) you should have a cross between the laser general's laser defence turret and the airforce designator. Automated laser defences (instead of garrisonable) with the abilty to call in drone drop or something similar.

For Assault Gen. (early anti-defence) you should create a heavy assault trooper. Give him more armour than a rebel and a gun which is as effective against tanks as it is infantry (hope that makes sense)

*~si aeraesar bastosi shai por eil vyri eindral syl sosti eil thasti ail si basti os aeraesar jhyli*~

Posted Image~*Sufletul ei nu poate să fie salvat. Ea este blestemată.*~Posted Image

Posted Image

~*ai jhyli o shor eir si volaer os tia shyjael caes, volaer mai mar, si tyr thor syl si ae os ei baedi*~

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hi
IMO maybe for cyber general
: Tracer cannon some sort of designating tracer that sends its 7 Hellfire/Battle Drones over a range like the fire base? That gives it some balance as in between shots the drones just attack any opposers within a much smaller radius.

Assault Gen
: Rattlesnake defense system a system with tracking Scorpion Rockets (maybe 5 of em with some sort of anti-infantry cannon

Demo Gen
: Demo Surger sends surges of mobile demo traps towards enamy tanks/infantry.

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Battle Tower : long range chemical cannons for anti tank?
Since Toxin Gen alrdy has gd anti infantry and anti air

#17 Juggernaut1985

Juggernaut1985
  • Project Team
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

Maybe each side could have some sort of good artillery defense? GLA has nothing to counter long range artillery.
Leader of Star Wars: Legacy of War - a mod for Empire at War
Posted Image

#18 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Maybe each side could have some sort of good artillery defense? GLA has nothing to counter long range artillery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly what I'm trying to do.

#19 The_Hunter

The_Hunter

Bitch slapping SAGE since 2003

• Hosted
  • 849 posts
  • Projects:SWR Productions

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

is it just me or do those chinese turret look exactly like a defence from Total Annihilation :rolleyes: ?

anyways looking good creator thumbs up :p

swr_sig.png

#20 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

lol I think your right. I think it was a plasma defense or something... Still, theres only so many ways you can shape a turret before it looks lke somthing done before. nothing wrong with that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users