Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:24 PM

Probably tonight, tomorrow, or Sat.

Aiming for a global release for the weekend.

Supreme praise and thanks to everyone especially Larkin and Flenser for the god-like work over the past 2 months! I cannot believe how far things have come since v1.1. Thanks to our new betatesters: you've added that extra dimension of reality to our work that sets us forth on achieving our goals to bring out a more life-like opponent to the DoW masses. Your feedback has been so much appreciated!

On the advice of Larkin, I'll probably drop all those squadlimit tables in favour of just one. There is no sense in having templates that restrict a unit set (ie. have more siege units for one template or increase infantry limits in another) when the AI should be able to determine a more efficient demand system/plan of attack against an enemy.

I cannot state how extremely proud I am to be a part of this project and how things have evolved. Even with the ills that are v1.30 (to a degree) and the hopeful prospects for the expansion, we have perservered.

The future looks good although admittedly it hunges on what Relic does in the expansion and whether they fix the prereq bug left in v1.30 (to which they were made aware early June).

Thanks everyone for making an AI opponent worth the humilation of defeat! :sad:

TuD.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#2 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

I definately look forward to playing some 4v4's with the comps. Great work, guys!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

Congrats thud! Can't wait till it's 'official!' I was going to ask if you incorporated Larkin's late changes, but it looks as though you have. This will be an impressive release, ashame about 1.3/brokeness but I'm still using 1.2 and very happy with the AI Skirmish.

#4 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

oozish ^^^

Darn guest login anonymity!!!

#5 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

I don't find the v1.30 AI too bad. Chaos is mostly impacted but since they're heavy on the infantry early game they usually can "hold the line" enough for the Defilers to eventually show. Still.. you can tell its a little broken but that nothing playing on INSANE or increase resource rates couldn't fix. Muhahah

#6 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:41 PM

I suggest a 'new topic' when announcing this over at adeptus modificatus. What do you think?

#7 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

Weeellll, errr.. aahhh.. ehhhh, ugggggg... jaaazz..

Ah. jez.

:p

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

Probably tonight, tomorrow, or Sat.

or sunday ?

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

Please don't announce any more dates if you can't keep them. It gets annoying. Now you do write "in a few days" at relicnews. A joke. You are the master of late delivery. AI v1.2 could have been on the market a few weeks ago. It's disappointing. I did some work and want it released - now !

Larkin

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

I'm finishing up documentation + had a family engagement that came up outta the blue (wife's folks showed up) so there is a slight delay. Somethings I can't forcast when a social life is involved. I'll have everything ready for packaging during the day then off it goes to Corsix for the final publish.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

Since you planned to release a long time ago wife's folks seem to show up often. Don't tell me real life pushed back release by a month.

I vote foe a monthly release, regardless of progress if there was progress at all. You are unreliable on release schedule, Thudo.
v1.3 Relic did spoil lots of fun modding, your release schedule adds to the pain. I want my code public, not rotting at your disk.

Larkin

#12 leto

leto
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:52 PM

see below

Edited by leto, 10 July 2005 - 06:07 PM.

#13 leto

leto
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

I've been following this mod for some time now, and I've got to say......WELL SAID, Larkin.

Thudo, you really do seem to drag your heels. How hard can it really be to send this code off to dowfiles, for example. At this point, who really cares if it's not 'perfect'? As Larkin said, you can continually release updates/patches as and when needed. Whats the big problem? You seem to have a very guarded and controlling nature, which in my opinion is not doing this mod any favors.

There's a lot of people waiting for this mod, including me. You are slowly killing it's potential popularity, and my potential enthusiasm.

Just my 0.02 cents, but I they needed to be spent. Sorry for being blunt to the point of rudeness, but I'm a little tired of being constantly dissapointed.

#14 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Well thanks Leto for not speaking the obvious.. Gawd.. Yer new to the DoW community no? Ever working on a mod? Jumping in from outta nowhere without getting some facts straight really makes my weekend after the sh*t it was..

1) I've been working my ass off to get it packaged, doc'ed, and ensure its good. Yes its fine but for the team's sake I don't want to ship it without the dox and big thanks for things. Thats about done (I finish it tonight *my time*).

2) HOW GAWD DAMN DARE U insinuate in any way that I'm trying to sabotage the very thing I enjoy from the pits of my heart. I spent considerable hours trying to get to where we are and now we're really on-high at present. You coming from outta the shadows to then spill your daggers is oh sooo helping the crap I've dealt with this weekend.

3) Fortunately, nothing came to pass with it but our marriage had a significant "rupture" this weekend that thankfully is past now. I can't get into details since thats completely personal and most of you non-married folks can't even begin to fathom the utter BS guys have to go through when firmly connected to someone.

With that said.. I feel better now.. first outburst to this community but it needed to be said..

Look..

I promise this WON'T happen again. It was a bad lead-up to this weekend that my wife had to bring on me. It precipitated this weekend into BS that f''ed things up but now we're over it. I'm sorry this impacted things and ***NO I AM NOT*** trying to circumvent the very thing I love doing. Why the heck would I - I got us this site, started the scripts back in the day, wrote the migration dox, and love helping people out. Its on my blood.

I just need some understanding that I am working on our package and I FIRMLY PROMISE to you NOW that we will release ONCE PER MONTH. Sorry for the BS in the past. Many teams go through it and perhaps I should act the part of team lead with my responsibility to you and the community.

You deserve better.. AND YOU'LL GET IT.. thats my committment to our love of the work we do and the passion the community has enjoying it.

#15 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Dawn of War AI Skirmish

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

Wow - tempers fraying, people shouting, family arriving - sounds like it's Xmas right here on the forum ;)

I hope everyone's got that out their system now - even the most even-keeled person needs to let off steam once in a while - and we can get this code released and go back to doing what we all love - mucking about with code until 2am.

We are a good team and we are producing some amazing work that I am very proud of. Go us!

Flenser

#16 Danimator

Danimator
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

After Leto's comments I would just like to say that most of us watching this forum and the Relic forums really appreciate all your work.

When I saw your documentation on implementing ai I was gobsmacked. Not just by how detailed it was and how many pages etc. but on how much time must have gone into producing a piece of work that was so well laid out that even i could follow it easily.

Bravo.

And if real life stuff crops up then that has to come first - always!

I would rather see a well documented release every quarter than a hurried monthly update. Updates that might lead down the road to the high standards you have at the moment slipping away due to deadline pressures. I'm not suggesting this as it's nothing to do with me, just giving an impartial opinion.

So keep up the great work and i look forward to seeing the new releases when they are ready.

Lastly, I would just like to add that I got quite chatty with Beroc last month and we send a lot of emails back and forth and it was this kind of pressure, relentless requests for completion dates, a demand for more and more help combined with a lack of respect and gratitude (or acknowledgement even) for all the hard work that he put in that finally made him just walk away from it all. I would hate to see that happen to anyone else in the community, and here I am talking about a few people that are not appreciated as they should be and could get cheesed off and end up doing a Beroc. What a waste.

#17 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

Beroc? You mean THE BEROC? The mysterious one we never hear from was able to export almost all the models from DoW? The guy is deeply missing in the DoW community? Is he still around??

Any, as Larkin mentioned, he deserves to have his hard work published and our revision timeline has been hyjacked by a less committed "me" so I firmly commit to you all that this will now STOP and I'll be on it more firmly. We can't go 2 months without something especially since the beta testers are loving what we got. I owe it to you guys and the community to keep our project fresh to our global audience and display the talent we got over Relic.

#18 Polaris

Polaris
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

This is incredible... Never heard such silly comments. ;)

Now, about leto's comment, he's just a fool thinking that thudo gets paid for developing the AI mod. No consideration for him is needed.

But Larkin... You are part of the project, if Thudo has a problem, you should be helping him by keeping quiet, NOT pushing on him...

@@Thudo: I am very sorry to hear you are in troubles. Please, ignore this silly comments and solve your real life problems... Then you can get back better than ever! :)

Edited by Polaris, 11 July 2005 - 12:55 PM.

#19 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:28 PM

I will chime in I think people are really coming down hard on Thudo, and I'd take his side in this debate. That said, it is clear that sometimes he promises more than he can deliver regarding REALEASE dates only. That's a small thing when the quality is so good, but I can understand (Larkins') frustration.

In the end, I love both these guys! Sounds like things have ironed out. It's amazing to me though, these lurkers that suddenly jump on Thudo and start criticizing him like that. They should have to PAY FOR THIS!!! muh hahahah!

#20 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

This is incredible... Never heard such silly comments.  :blink:

But Larkin... You are part of the project, if Thudo has a problem, you should be helping him by keeping quiet, NOT pushing on him...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I obviously had no info on any personal trouble and I wouldn't have pushed if I did.

Sorry to hear that, Thudo, and good to know it's better now.

Also good to know releases are more frequent, thanks.

Larkin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users