Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 |EG| Witch-King Riding Shelob

|EG| Witch-King Riding Shelob
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

- Glorfindel's Rage:
If you have ever played any EA Lord of the Rings games on console (excluding The 3rd Age), you might be able to remember what a devestation attack is. Base it on that.

- Mount
In the book, he takes Arwen's place in the FOTR Wraith-Ringbearer chase seen.

- Power of the Valar
High rank power. Has the ability to regenerate 1/3 health, but with more attack. Or, when his health is depleted, he has a timer, but attacks are more powerful.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Elrond Nénmacil

Elrond Nénmacil
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:56 AM

Here is a page for inspiration:

http://www.tuckborou...html#Glorfindel

I think Glorfindel should have a special ability such as "Dragon- and Nazgul Slayer" or somethink like this. Like a white elven light or something, maybe equal to Gandalv's Istari light?

#4 Guest_GoC from Rhovanion Alliance._*

Guest_GoC from Rhovanion Alliance._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:10 AM

Hi all, I am from the Rhovanion Alliance forums and I must say I really like Glorfindel here. And I have some ideas (credit to the disbanded Concept Crew and Kudzu)

Glorfindel - $4000
Threat Classification: Hero ****

Level 2 - Mount
Mounts Glorfindel on his horse.

Level 4 - Skill of the Noldor
Increases Glorfindel's attack by 100%

Level 6 - Wisdom of the Noldor
Increases the recharge rate for all the triggered abilities of nearby units and heroes by 50%

Level 8 - Power of the Noldor
Lowers an enemy unit’s defense ratings by 95% against all types of damage for twenty seconds.

Level 10 - Thunder Water
Brings one battalion of Water Horses to the targeted area to assist the player for fifteen seconds or until they all die.

#5 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

- Glorfindel's Rage:
If you have ever played any EA Lord of the Rings games on console (excluding The 3rd Age), you might be able to remember what a devestation attack is. Base it on that.

If I can get the animation I want to use to work, I'll try this one.

- Mount
In the book, he takes Arwen's place in the FOTR Wraith-Ringbearer chase seen.

Forgot to mention that this was a given :p

- Power of the Valar
High rank power. Has the ability to regenerate 1/3 health, but with more attack. Or, when his health is depleted, he has a timer, but attacks are more powerful.

I actually came up with something close to this (well actually, it was my sister (who's never played BfME lol)) and am thinking of some interesting ways to implement it. Thanks!

I think Glorfindel should have a special ability such as "Dragon- and Nazgul Slayer" or somethink like this. Like a white elven light or something, maybe equal to Gandalv's Istari light?

Well, Glorfindel was famous for slaying a Balrog, so Dragon is sort of unfitting (that and there aren't any dragons in BfME). Also, seeing as Galadriel already has a carbon-copy of Gandalf's Istari Light, I can't really give it to Glorfindel as well. However, I'm thinking of something somewhat similar.

Glorfindel - $4000
Threat Classification: Hero ****

This seems reasonable (I've decided Glorfindel will be better than Elrond and Celeborn.

Level 4 - Skill of the Noldor
Increases Glorfindel's attack by 100%

Do you mean this as a permanent ability, or a hero mode?

Level 6 - Wisdom of the Noldor
Increases the recharge rate for all the triggered abilities of nearby units and heroes by 50%

Something very similar has already been given to Celeborn (and, for future reference, 50% less recharge rate is insanely too much (I thought it would be fine myself, until I tried it ingame)).

Level 8 - Power of the Noldor
Lowers an enemy unit’s defense ratings by 95% against all types of damage for twenty seconds.

I like this one. I'll keep it.

Level 10 - Thunder Water
Brings one battalion of Water Horses to the targeted area to assist the player for fifteen seconds or until they all die.

No matter how much I love the Fords of Rivendell, I think the poor water horsees will be way too tired to have another ability (Arwen, Elrond, and then another thing you guys don't know about yet :ninja: )

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Elrond Nénmacil

Elrond Nénmacil
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Well, Glorfindel was famous for slaying a Balrog, so Dragon is sort of unfitting (that and there aren't any dragons in BfME). Also, seeing as Galadriel already has a carbon-copy of Gandalf's Istari Light, I can't really give it to Glorfindel as well. However, I'm thinking of something somewhat similar.

Glorfindel the Balrog slayer was an elf lord in the first age, Glorfindel of Gondolin. I mean Glorfindel of Rivendell in the third age.

Take a look at this:

Glorfindel in the Third Age:
Glorfindel - movieGlorfindel lived at Rivendell, the realm of Elrond. In 1974, the Witch-king of Angmar invaded the North-kingdom of Arnor. Glorfindel led an army from Rivendell to the Battle of Fornost in 1975 and helped defeat the Witch-king's forces. Then the Witch-king himself came onto the battlefield and challenged Earnur, Captain of Gondor. Earnur's horse bolted and the Witch-king mocked him, but Glorfindel approached and the Witch-king fled from him. Glorfindel counselled Earnur not to follow, saying: "Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall." (App. A, p. 332)

In October of 3018, word came to Rivendell from Gildor Inglorion that Frodo Baggins was heading for Rivendell pursued by the Nazgul led by the Witch-king. Glorfindel was one of the few in Rivendell powerful enough to face the Nine Nazgul. On October 9, he set out on his white horse Asfaloth and followed the Great East Road to the Last Bridge on the River Hoarwell. There on October 11, Glorfindel found three Nazgul waiting and they fled before him. Glorfindel left a green stone on the bridge as a token that it was now safe to cross and he pursued the Nazgul westward. He found two more Nazgul who fled southward from him.

Aragorn found the green stone on October 13 and led the Hobbits safely across. Glorfindel picked up their trail on October 16 and at dusk on October 18 he caught up to them. To Frodo, Glorfindel appeared to shine with an inner light, and when the Elf touched the wound he had received from the Witch-king, Frodo felt the chill and pain lessen and his vision cleared. Glorfindel set Frodo on Asfaloth and they headed toward Rivendell.

At the Ford of Bruinen on October 20, the Nine Nazgul appeared. Frodo felt compelled to stop, but Glorfindel called out to Asfaloth to ride on and the horse carried Frodo across the river. On the far side, Frodo once again felt commanded to halt and he turned to face the Nazgul. Glorfindel was aware that Elrond would command the waters of the river to rise against the Nazgul, so he and the others kindled fire to drive the Nazgul into the river. Glorfindel revealed himself as a mighty Elf-lord in all his wrath, and he shone with a brilliant white light as he advanced. The Nazgul were swept away by the floodwaters and returned bodiless to Mordor.

Glorfindel attended the Council of Elrond on October 25. When it was suggested that the Ring might be sent to Tom Bombadil, Glorfindel replied that Tom would not be able to keep the Ring safe from Sauron forever. He said that the Ring would have to be sent over the Sea or cast into the Sea or destroyed - even though the destruction of the One Ring would mean that the Three Rings of the Elves would lose their power. At length it was determined that the only option was to destroy the Ring, and Frodo Baggins volunteered for this task.

In the matter of selecting Frodo's companions, Gandalf supported Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took by saying: "I think, Elrond, that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him." (FotR, p. 289)

Nothing further is known of Glorfindel's activities during the War of the Ring. At the Battle of the Pelennor Fields on March 15, 3019, the words spoken by Glorfindel over 1,000 years before came to pass when the Witch-king was defeated at the hands of a woman - Eowyn - and a Hobbit - Merry Brandybuck. After the war, Glorfindel came to Minas Tirith for the wedding of Arwen and Aragorn.

Glorfindel's ulitmate fate is not known, but it seems likely that he would have eventually returned over the Sea to the Undying Lands.

Edit:
What about a special attack like "Chase the Nazgul" or something?

Edited by Elrond Nénmacil, 08 July 2005 - 12:53 PM.

#7 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

A) Tolkien himself wrote in one of his last essays that the two Glorfindel's were indeed the same elf. This is still highly under debate and I haven't chosen a side.

B) No where in that quote is there any mention of a Dragon.

C) I know all about Glorfindel's strength against The Nine. Even someone who has only read the Lord of the Rings would know that (and trust me, I've far more Tolkien material than just the Lord of the Rings). Please don't take me for someone who has only seen the movies.

EDIT: As for your "Chase the Nazgul" idea... Hmm... Do you mean a speed boost for a period of time? If so, Arwen already has that ability... Hmm...

Edited by Celeglin, 08 July 2005 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Elrond Nénmacil

Elrond Nénmacil
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:47 PM

Celeglin:

A) Yeah, I know.. I have read it too. But that does not matter since he returned in a later age with another destiny.

B) The dragon was my mistake, I meant Balrog as you mentioned.

C) I do not doubt that you know what you are writing, in fact you know a lot more about the tolkien world then me. But as far as I know, Glorfindel should have a "Chase the Nazgul" ability in the game, or doesn't it make sense?

Btw, the idea of "Chase the Nazgul" is not ment to be a speed boost, but maybe it can make the Nazgul(s) in nearby area flee away for a while, or stun for a short period of time? Or even better, make your warriors immunity against nazgul attack for a short period of time?

I think this modification is great, and your work so far is really nice. I wish I could help..

Edited by Elrond Nénmacil, 08 July 2005 - 04:02 PM.

#9 |MeMw| Ecthelion

|MeMw| Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Projects:various |MeMw| maps/ mods

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

Glorfindel should have a power that is like Elendil.

Level 5- Torches of Fear
Lights a torch that causes makes all enemy units around him run away, while providing a +10-15% attack bonus to all friendly units around him. Something like that. I got it from FOTR book, where at the Ford, Aragron, the hobbits, and Glorfindel light torches to scare off the Nazgul.
Anything later then now isn't soon enough.

#10 Guest_GoC from Rhovanion Alliance._*

Guest_GoC from Rhovanion Alliance._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Or maybe something like a mirror image power, that he moves so fast that he creates a mirror image. So 2 Glorfindels, but only one of them is real and does damage. To foul the enemy.
Or an evasion power. Like avoiding 30% of the enemy's attacks.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

Maybe another way to implement "Power of the Valar" would be to have him stronger when he is revived after dying (meaning a renaming to "Grace of the Valar"). Don't see how this could be coded, though.

Here's another idea: When Glorfindel confronts a Balrog, Glorfindel can have an ability that instanly kills the Balrog AND himself.

#12 Guest_Honom from the RA forum_*

Guest_Honom from the RA forum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

well i like ur Glorfindel alot!
since he is my favourite character in Middle-earth i think he should be as strong as Galadriel or stronger...

i think that Glorfindel gotta have some Fear ability similar too Aragorns elendil...

#13 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:11 PM

well i like ur Glorfindel alot!
since he is my favourite character in Middle-earth i think he should be as strong as Galadriel or stronger...

i think that Glorfindel gotta have some Fear ability similar too Aragorns elendil...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol! Well, Galadriel is my favourite character, so I decide that she will be the stronger of the two (don't forget, she's got Nenya ;) ).

While I do like the various "fear/elendil ability" ideas you're all coming up with, I've already given that ability to Arwen ^_^ . However, I'm going to see if I can make the fear affect the Ringwraiths and no one but the Ringwraiths and give it to Glorfindel as a starter ability. I'll also mess around with it a bit to see if I can change how far the Nazgul will "run away" when frightened.

Hmm... I think I'm going to have to add the toggle mount stuff to the Nazgul for this mod... *sigh* More work...

Edited by Celeglin, 09 July 2005 - 04:13 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 OoN|Valandil

OoN|Valandil
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Glorfindel's Rage/Wrath

A blademaster type ability which improves speed, attack and defense greatly.

#15 |MeMw| Ecthelion

|MeMw| Ecthelion
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Projects:various |MeMw| maps/ mods

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

I want to say also that, in general, GLorfindel should be stronger then everyone except Galadriel and maybe Celeborn, because he went to Valinor. I'm not sure if Celeborn went there or not.
Anything later then now isn't soon enough.

#16 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:33 AM

I want to say also that, in general, GLorfindel should be stronger then everyone except Galadriel and maybe Celeborn, because he went to Valinor. I'm not sure if Celeborn went there or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celeborn has a rather conflicting history. Tolkien changed basically his whole history multiple times and never said which was his final decision. In one version, Celeborn is one of the Teleri Elves and he went to Galadriel during the First Kinslaying. In another, he never went to Valinor: he was a Sindar who had stayed in Doriath.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 |MeMw|Elessar

|MeMw|Elessar

The Hobbit Expansion Pack Modeller/ Co-Leader

• Project Team
  • 399 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack, |MeMw|The MOD!, MHD, MME, MHD: The Prelude

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

lol
w00t the mighty leader TKelly has returned!
Eldarion a blessing to The Hobbit Mod
Posted Image

#18 OoN|Valandil

OoN|Valandil
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

Glorfindel should be the strongest really but it's ok if Galadriel is stronger.
Glorfindel, according to Tolkien, died after killing a Balrog and was brought back a lot more powerful than any elf and almost as powerful as the Istari (wizards). That is why he should have the highest melee damage and good magic stuff

#19 Elrond Nénmacil

Elrond Nénmacil
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

Here is my suggestion:

Glorfindel $5500

Level 01 - Mount
Mount on horse / Dismount from horse.

Level 02 - Elven Legend
Leadership bonus to all nearby friendly units (+100% Armour, +50% Damage).

Level 04 - Eternal Blade
200% Extra Damage + 75% Extra Armour for 40 sec.

Level 06 - Glory of Elves
Generate a shield of light that protects Glorfindel and his elves around.

Level 08 - Thunder Water

Level 10 - Torches of Fear
Lights a torch that causes makes all enemy units around him run away (including Nazgüls/heroes).

Edited by Elrond Nénmacil, 13 July 2005 - 06:31 PM.

#20 OoN|Valandil

OoN|Valandil
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

Water Horses have nothing to do with him though, perhaps have a power called:

Power Of Valinor

Glorfindel utters a loud cry and does a WOP type thing and dies at the end of it. Kills everything within it's radius, even balrogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users