•  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

ohh and wheres your tornado then mig

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here... this is what a Tornado should look like

Panavia Tornado GR.1 "Mig Eater"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry if you think I’m being a bit harsh but the Tornado is my mascot & any one who doesn’t do a good enough job of making it has me to deal with :thumbsdown:

Edited by Mig Eater, 07 July 2005 - 08:58 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 FK47

FK47

o____0;

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:19 AM

That's quite an astoundingly beautiful voxel there Mig. :rolleyes:

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

If I'm honest, I'd prefer it without the teeth on the front. But yes that's 100% accurate. However, many have mentioned that Eagle's vxl probably isn't geared towards accuracy, but looking good.

Still, MiG, you need a better mascot :rolleyes:

#4 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

lol he should make a allied scheme and release :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:45 PM

However, many have mentioned that Eagle's vxl probably isn't geared towards accuracy, but looking good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that’s why I’m getting pissed off with this community, no one bothers to even try to be accuracy around here, 90% of the Gfx I see look like it just been bodged together in 5min! (I’m not talking about you Eagle but the community as a whole). I get the impression that this community has spent so long with low quality Gfx that now ppl don’t know any better so the expectations of an artist are very low.

Here is a quote that I think fits how I feel very well

Its not how do I get it so right but its why dose everyone else get it so wrong!

Sorry for my rant but this has been eating away at me for ages & I guess this thread was the last straw. Gilbear remove, split or do what ever you feel is needed to this topic.

lol he should make a allied scheme and release

Sorry but it's part of my private collection & normally I wouldn't have even posted a pic of it...

Edited by Mig Eater, 07 July 2005 - 09:47 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Zelab

Zelab
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

Holy shit that's plane is awsome! :ninja:

How long is take you too make it? :p

Edited by Zelab, 08 July 2005 - 09:29 AM.

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:32 AM

MiG.

Was the bloody RA2 game geared towards accuracy? No! Neither was the Harrier. Or the Black Eagle (which is supposed to be an S-37 Berkut).

The MiG Boris calls in is also totally wrong. And the Spy Plane. And God knows how many other things.

If Eagle_Eye had been trying for accuracy, then I would wholeheartedly agree with your analysis. But he wasn't. I also agree that there is a lot of low quality stuff around, but to slate this Tornado just because it doesn't look EXACTLY like a Panavia GR-1 when probably it wasnt' even MEANT to is a bit off.

I admire your dedication, MiG, but honestly...why make it if your not gonan show it off, put it in a mod or release it? :p

#8 raminator

raminator

Humba, Humba, Humba Tätärä

• Hosted
  • 1,600 posts
  • Projects:ehmmm don´t tell you :P
  •  der Biermeister hat gesprochen

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

@Mig

you´re so damn right! :ninja:

this is really the best voxel of a plane i´ve ever seen
so if you are God and MG is Jesus...can i be Gabriel? :p
Posted Image
if ^ does not work click here
I support Xeno getting well. Go Xeno!

#9 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:24 AM

well the private collection thingy seems a bit crazy but i admire his dedication, perhaps mig should make a website showing a gallery of his private work.

Oh release a professional voxel making, tip tutorial, like Arg did with map making.

I think the newbees and the mid learners would really appreciate it.
Posted Image

#10 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Was the bloody RA2 game geared towards accuracy? No! Neither was the Harrier. Or the Black Eagle (which is supposed to be an S-37 Berkut).

The MiG Boris calls in is also totally wrong. And the Spy Plane. And God knows how many other things.

If Eagle_Eye had been trying for accuracy, then I would wholeheartedly agree with your analysis. But he wasn't. I also agree that there is a lot of low quality stuff around, but to slate this Tornado just because it doesn't look EXACTLY like a Panavia GR-1 when probably it wasnt' even MEANT to is a bit off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off this isn’t really about Eagle anymore but the community as a whole!

You know your kina proving my point their,
Because Eagle didn’t try to be accurate he work is of lower quality. Where as I do everything I can to be accurate & well you can see the results for your self...

I’m glad you brought up the RA2 Gfx as frankly I blame WW. The RA2 voxels are not all that brilliant in my opinion & don’t really show the full potential of the vxl format but they are considered to be the benchmark. So if the quality level ppl are aiming for is poor it’s no surprise the end results wont be all that great.

I admire your dedication, MiG, but honestly...why make it if your not gonan show it off, put it in a mod or release it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don’t make voxels because I want to show off, I do it because I enjoy it. I don’t have time to make another mod & I would really hate to see some of my best pieces of work end up in some n00b mod using uber nuke bombs or something.

How long is take you too make it?

About 6/7 hours

Edited by Mig Eater, 08 July 2005 - 10:34 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

Mig, have you ever considered that realizm and quality arn't the same thing and I don't mean the unit consept I mean the type of graphics used a good example of this is 'fine art' or whats known as fine art, alot of the time I looks awful because the people who worked on it have put far to much effort in to making it as accurate as possible, when I compare this to things like the manga style of drawing it's blatently obviouse which looks better even though it's less accurate
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#12 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:02 AM

Your thinking out of context, I’m talking about voxels based on real military equipment not museum paintings or comic books...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:11 AM

it's the same basic thing though, the idea of qulity is biased on the same Ideas

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#14 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

After thinking about it I kinda see your point. I guess tho that I feel that if your gona make a voxel of a real unit then what’s the point of making it look unrealistic?

It seams to me that saying it was made to look unrealistic is really just to cover the fact that most artists don’t have the skills to make it look realistic in the first place. (I’m saying this in the context of voxel artists & not artists in general, I don’t see how you can compare a vxl to a manga ^_^ ).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:25 PM

the reason I can compare it is because some people actually like cartoonish looking voxels and don't just do them that way because it's all they can do or all they aspire to do, in other words "to each his own" that famouse quote that I have no idea were it came from ^_^ a good example of this is your plane (the one you showed earlier) It's a good model in itself but I would never use it ingame because it's not really to my taste (for one I'm a plane nut and I know thats not a VTOL which is the logic the game uses), but others may not care about that and use it any way because it looks 'cool' either way people have there own opinions

Xeno, RIP mate

#16 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

well if its call RAF Tornado vxl then you expect RAF, uber realism to be honest.

If it aint an exact or very close concept then just give it an genric name.

The Mig in RA2 is called just that an Mig, the harrier is called just an harrier, it doesn't have code names on it.

I understand total conversion dedication that Mig Eater is emphasising but if everyone spent 60+ hrs on one voxel, one shp, then modifications will never be released and especially if its a one man team.

That work can be admire but cannot be realisticality expected from 90% of the community.

Most people will make average, to admirable, to very nice work.

An example being lefthands vehicles or copy + paste shp buildings.
Posted Image

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:38 PM

Wow, you talked some sense into MiG lol.

MiG, I can understand exactly what you're saying, and nobody ever disputed that your stuff was good.
Not to feed anybody's egos, though, so was that fighter that Eagle_Eye made. Granted, it wasnt' a perfect rendition of the GR-1, but as I said, it wasn't intended to be. Yours was, and on that basis, it's excellent.

But many many voxels are not intended to look like a real unit. I suppose you must judge all voxels on their realism...
Posted Image
Which must stand stuff like this in very low stead.

As Rawlo said it depends on opinion mostly. In mine, Eagle_Eye's voxel was good in its intent, which was to create a good-looking, allied scheme fighter. Granted, not an accurate rendition, but nonetheless pleasing to my eye. On the other hand, many voxels out there I would agree with you MiG, and I'd say that I myself could probably produce better, even though I've never made a decent voxel in my life, and as such am too ashamed to ever show them. They lined my Recycle Bin within five seconds of rendition. ^_^

#18 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  •  Modder

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

i think for ra2 voxels we expect cleaniness i.e. it looks well normalised, good choice of colours and somewhat plauisble if in real life.

At least an attempt to make it look rite.

I do not like half arse attempts which are overly blocky and but ugly looking ^_^
Posted Image

#19 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:03 AM

I agree with you there AG

Xeno, RIP mate

#20 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

After spending most of today meditating on this I have come to the concussion that this isn’t about the community but really myself trying to justify all the hard work I do for little gain.

I’m the only artist in the community that will do everything to be accurate & it makes me think that maybe not many ppl like accurate & prefer the cartoony look (as Rawlo pointed out), is that’s why I’m the only one? I tried to blame it on the lack of artistic skills in the community but that’s untrue there are lots of good artists here.

You know the latest building shp I’m working on is a 12x15 cell big accurate recreation of the German Reichstag & I wonder was it worth me working non stop for three weeks when it’s probably only going to have 5min of fame. After all a smaller cartoony looking one would have been just as good...

I’m just thinking out aloud now Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users