Photo

Looking Games Employment?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you looking for employment in gaming?

Are you looking for employment in gaming?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:00 PM

You say "game design", but i've not seen you do anything like that. Do you mean "game programming"?

However you want to term it. Game programming for starters, but perhaps design and such later.
:blink:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#22 Agile

Agile

title available

• Project Team
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

*Converts $175,000 to GBP*
£93,984  :blink: Aiming a bit high ain't we?

not really for me. Of course, you never know
Posted Image

#23 FS-21

FS-21

Kane lives in death!

• Hosted
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:C&C:Reloaded
  •  Oldbie C&C gamer/modder :P

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:13 PM

I'm going into to Networks/robots programation & maintenance. More demand where I live :min:

C&C:Reloaded -> 5 different armies: GDI, Nod, Allies, Soviets & Yuri... & converted TS Terrain!!

Discord ] ModDB ] YouTube Channel ] Telegram Channel ] [ Official Forums@Revora ]

#24 MagicGangsta

MagicGangsta

title available

• Project Team
  • 409 posts
  • Projects:In The Shadows - Project Leader

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:16 PM

a friend of mine codes for EA and makes about 80k a year, his starting wage was 60k a year.

i'm technically working right now as a graphic artst and computer tech and make about 28k a year but this area around here pays for shit anyways. now if i went into the city, they have offered me 50k to do the same job but i hate the city. this white boy doesnt feel like getting car-jacked.
www.itsmod.com

#25 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep
  • Project Team
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:38 AM

Bad wages and long days? No thank you, I'de rather play games than spend all my life making them and not having the time to play them.

#26 2312222

• New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:42 AM

Yeah same opinion here :blink:

#27 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 10:26 PM

I want to make them, since I seem to enjoy modding and programming more than the actual gaming. I love solving problems and such.
:blink:
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

#28 Kwartjuh

Kwartjuh
  • New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:09 AM

I've voted yes, because if i would ever get the change, i would take it... buts not really a lifegoal or anything.. nor am i really doing an education in that direction...

#29 Eradicator

Eradicator
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 09:16 PM

I want to be involved in making games (probably programming them) because I enjoy it. So a long day probably wouldn't be that bad for me unless it was a shitty Matel game or something. My goal is it get some kind of job in the industry and I'd be satisfied with a $35k a year job. I'm probably too young now, but I'm working towards it.

#30 Mithril

Mithril

• Hosted
  • 1,386 posts
  • Projects:Heh! You're not going to ask me that question.

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:19 AM

Game programming is a hard task, and that is exactly why I want to do it. I can't do anything graphically oriented, well not much anyway (as you may have seen on deezire :p ) and coding is actually my area.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - ReGeneration

"Not the faintest clue =\"

-ComradeJ

#31 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:57 PM

You can hardly call CnC editing 'coding'. It just requires new or even identical application of ini tags in a rearranged fashion given some new or different values.
Real mens coding is playing with things like Genesis 3D and making something decent out of it.
All these people who want such high wage packets! I'd be perfectly happy with a steady 10K sterling /$14K a year as a starting package. 40K per annum is a LOT of money, more then enough to keep you going, especially if you're working in this arena!

#32 Mongoose

Mongoose

TFH rOCks

• Hosted
  • 785 posts
  •  OMG I'M MEMBER NUMBER 189

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:46 AM

very true.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Paranoid

Paranoid

title available

• New Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:05 AM

I said yes, I think it'd be cool, I've been learning fast, but, I think if I got into the gaming industry I'd want to lead somthing, I think I'm a pretty good leader, but then I'd most likely have to start low, but I havent even gotten through high school yet, I'll worry when thats over :)

How old were you guys when you started modding and the like?

#34 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

I was 16 i think.

#35 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, I'd say around 16 or so. Perhaps even 14, I can't remember how long it's been since I started on RA2 modding. Anyone else remember C&C Mod Makers?
:)
Posted Image

#36 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:23 PM

I recall modding the original CnC way back when. That was probably when I was about eight or nine. Heck, nearly 10 years ago now. Still, I didn't start any real coding until about two/three years ago when I got interested in FPS modding :)

#37 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:39 PM

I first started messing around with Red Alert 1, but using a Tibed-like tool to mod.
I had numerous failed attempts at modding RA2 (I couldn't get an added unit to work for some reason) then about two years ago (when I was 12, I'm 16 in May this year) I had a try which worked.
And the rest is history.

#38 RVMECH

RVMECH
  • New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

I did some work for EA, I did some stuff for UbiSoft and now I'm currently working for.........you'll find out soon enough. :D

#39 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:12 PM

Do you get 1 time contracts for these?

#40 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:25 PM

Probably :D that's the way it seems to work sometimes.
I had a 'contract' with a Mindscape affiliated division a while back, where I worked for free to produce a free standalone game using the Creatures 3 engine. It's still out there today :ermm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users