22 replies to this topic

#1 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

1. Fix dancing

2. Flexible research tree dependant on units on the field. Flenser already started this, therefore I will back off if he wants to do it.

3. Speed up eldar hard counter build

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

I'll chat with Flenser and recoup our goals for v1.3 in August. The initial Eldar buildorder should be looked at as well as:

1) Getting AI to ensure he protects his base and that of his allies over anything else. Sometimes he does this well, other times I have no clue why he stands around while his allies get pummelled.

2) Removable of bug where AI squads can throw multiple grenades/bombs without the cooldown (Excedrin?)

3) Send idle engineers (if there are no strat points to capture) to the nearest SAFE strategy point (was this implemented?)

4) Have AI more reliably build uber-units (I had this working once but when the AI reserved enough power he would then stop doing anything until I attack him) - have to figure this one out as I would love to see more Avatars, Bloodthirsters, and Squiggoths in the game at once!! Standard AI skill always seems to make em far more readily!

5) Assassinate and T&H/CA win conditions tweaks especially the latter - Flenser

6) Allow AI to recreate his HQ on another unthreaten Listening Post if his original HQ is destroyed (this is kinda important as too many times he builds back where the old HQ was and it just gets torched. Having it built elsewhere with new buildings would be bloody cool!!)

Other stuff mentioned in our TO DO on my site can kinda wait as we head into the home stretch with the expansion and, <praying> new AI code! W000t!

Edited by thudo, 26 July 2005 - 01:22 AM.

Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:33 AM

I'd suggest to aim for latest release date at august, 31st with code freeze a week earlier. I have some time and motivation on my hands right now. Thanks to Thudo who fixed most of the v1.3 vehicle problems we have a good base to build upon.

Edited by LarkinVB, 26 July 2005 - 06:34 AM.

#4 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Dawn of War AI Skirmish

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

The flexible research tree code was actually pretty simple, at least for the Eldar, which is the only one I did. I would be happy to finish it off as one of the v1.3 goals.

I have some advanced Eldar skirmishing already up and running. Essentially the strike force will, if they are healthy enough, jump to another enemy base location and keep doing damage until they are forced to retreat. Makes them much more effective and means the player can no longer afford to ignore them.

T&H etc are all being tested, and are about ready to go.

I was going to work on capping unreachable points, but this is a fairly low-demand tweak, I would have thought. Fun to do, but maybe of negligible benefit.

What else should be we doing?

Flenser

#5 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

I'll be compiling a list (short one) as we're moving along real nicely towards expansion code!

Our objectives/goals should be those 6 points above in my post but I'll put something out more concrete. T&H and CA are biggies, though, and a simple code to keep the Commander at back of HQ during Assassinate would be fab as well. I'll put together the small list. Do what we can.. release then prepare for fun times with the expansion (unless they totally convert the AI to rdg.. ARGGHHHHHHHHH! Had a bad dream once about that!). heheh

#6 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

To Flenser :

I was doing some more flexible research code for other races than eldar today. I also changed it so you can set number of squads on the field before specific research is started. Of course we have to ensure that the flexible researches are dropped from the static list.
I will send it to you soon so please start working on something else first.

I would like to see parking a builder in allied bases and building a new hq there if req is abundant or old hq is destroyed and start position is still under threat. Since you are good at plans/resource locks it might be doable ?

Edited by LarkinVB, 26 July 2005 - 01:45 PM.

#7 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

Secondary HQs furthest from enemy would be desirable. OR if first HQ is torn apart build it from furthest location from enemy instead of same original spot. Secondary HQs are a huge frill - I don't know anyone who bothers UNLESS they had enough reserve coin to startup again (which is very hard to recover from being in such a hugely vulnerable position). Still... its always been a goal to have the AI stage a comeback from another location and safe-guard its builders for that purpose.

#8 Flenser

Flenser

title available

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Projects:Dawn of War AI Skirmish

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

To Flenser :

I was doing some more flexible research code for other races than eldar today. I also changed it so you can set number of squads on the field before specific research is started. Of course we have to ensure that the flexible researches are dropped from the static list.
I will send it to you soon so please start working on something else first.

I would like to see parking a builder in allied bases and building a new hq there if req is abundant or old hq is destroyed and start position is still under threat. Since you are good at plans/resource locks it might be doable ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have started then you might as well just do it. No toes treaded on here :p

I will take a look at the builder issue. I think it is simply a case of creating a BuildPlan for the right building in the right place at the right time. Where req is abundant there is no need to lock a builder since the AI will get round to it eventually. Where the main HQ is under attack/ threat then you do have time pressure, so I suppose you could make/ lock a builder and send him out of harm's way.

Flenser

#9 Excedrin

Excedrin
  • Project Team
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:32 PM

2) Removable of bug where AI squads can throw multiple grenades/bombs without the cooldown (Excedrin?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might have time to take a look at this, the only other idea I have is to check for an acceptable nearby target before assuming that the ability was used successfully. I'm not sure if there's any other/better way to do this.

Does this bug affect races other than Ork? I've only see the Ork AI do it.

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:37 PM

Yes... all factions are affected. Apply the fix to one and they'll all get done methinks. :blinky:

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

The Bloodthirster is a waste of time and the AI shouldn't bother with it... and if it's going to build an Avatar it should hide it at the back of its base since the Avatar is useful for its bonuses NOT its fighting ability.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:54 PM

I haven't seen an avatar in a skirmish since this MOD was first released; I remember seeing the bloodthirster. Since those days I haven't seen any avatar....they are a cool thing I almost forgot about.

#13 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Yea yea... Unlike the Landraider, the other ubers are frills. Still.. they can be useful at the right times. Doesn't mean we don't have to try to get the AI to create one end-game though. Uber do have a use: bullet magnets! heheh

#14 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Can you focus on other races other than Eldar, it seems eldar already have had the majority of the micro-attention. *awaits flames*

#15 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

SM and CSM are the same. Ork and Eldar need the most attention since:

a) Orks/Eldar have a unique playstyle and gameplay mechanic
b) Eldar are super-vulnerable speedy warriors whereas Orks are massing CC experts that can easily get shot to hell with SM/CSM shooty assaults.
c) Eldar is the only faction that cannot normally do frontal assaults and survive. Orks can mass but still need microing.

Eldar still need attention as do the Orks. I find both SM/CSM are the same so apply one tactic and the other follows naturally.

We're getting some mighty good feedback from everyone so I need to bring it all together in a point-form discussion so we set objectives for v1.3 at or near end-of-August.

Edited by thudo, 27 July 2005 - 01:40 PM.

#16 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

I guess I fixed it. Needs more testing.

#17 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

You did? Post v1.2?

#18 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

I did lots of fixes the last two days with my work in progress based on v1.2. One of them is the multiple grenade problem.

Edited by LarkinVB, 27 July 2005 - 02:55 PM.

#19 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Please let us know when the patches are ready to go for testing...

#20 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

You actually fixed what Relic didn't bother? ;) We seem to be doing that often aren't we? Then the expansion comes and who knows what new surprises we'll see there. Hopefully, Santa will be extremely good to us! :p

Edit: You bet, Oozish!

Edited by thudo, 27 July 2005 - 03:06 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users