20 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

For those who don't know, recently, Scientists discovered yet a further object orbiting our Sun. Designated 2003 UB313 which is thought to be larger than Pluto, approximately 2,600km in diameter, compared to Pluto which is about 2,370km wide. There has also been a discovery of 2003 EL61 which is slightly smaller than Pluto. 2003 UB313 is about 3 times as far from the Sun as Pluto is and orbits at an angle in comparison to the other Planets, which orbit on an almost exact Plane.

This discovery, now raises questions of whether Pluto should continue to be called a Planet, or whether we should "reduce" the Solar System to 8 planets. The main opposition for this comes from popular culture in that we have all grown up to learn that there are 9 planets oribiting the Sun and we should continue to do so. However, we once believed in common culture that the Earth was flat and that the Sun revolved around the Earth. So, my question to you all, is should Pluto be considered a Planet or should we define it as a large object (probably originally from the Kuiper Belt) and have an 8 Planet Solar System?

For further information on Pluto, you can click here

Your thoughts please.

Edited by AdmiralGT, 03 August 2005 - 08:56 PM.

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

the earth will be flat again! i tell ye, heretic! you might have won this battle, but the war is not over! :p

anyway, i consider such talk about planets and huge flying objects for nothing but nitpicking really. whats the difference on a large object and a planet really? they can both be called the same. leave pluto as a planet for now, perhaps use it as a measurement of the smallest degree a large object has to be in diameter before it can call itself an planet.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

So you think we should have 10 planets in our Solar System then, the current 9 and 2003 UB313 and if anymore were discovered, those as well?

#4 Sari

Sari

I am Legend/Out for Blood

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:08 PM

I don't see why it shouldn't remain as it is ... especially not if the only reason for its status being removed is because of what we already "know". Pluto orbits the Sun - that makes it a planet, doesn't it?

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

as long as they orbit the sun, and is relatively large, i consider it a planet.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:34 PM

Sari, while your statement that Pluto orbits the Sun is correct, the planets aren't the only thing to orbit the Sun.. There are millions of objects that orbit the sun, ranging from the size of Jupiter to the size of a dust particle. The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter orbits the sun, but they are considered Asteroids rather than Planets. Comets orbit the sun, albeit on a rather eccentric oribt, but they orbit the Sun on a regular basis, as do the millions of other objects in the Kuiper Belt. If a planet is something that orbits the sun, then the Solar System just got a lot of new planets. And what would be call objects that don't orbit our Sun but other Stars. Are they planets?

I'm not saying your wrong, since some people call Pluto a planet and some don't. Strangely, I think we should keep Pluto as a planet, mainly for continuity, to me it seems an awful lot of bother to change the definition of a planet because we found one new object. But I understand how we must move on from what popular culture dictates and have some sort of system for defining a planet, whether that includes Pluto, 2003 UB313, neither, or both.

#7 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

What i think Sari means is that Pluto Orbits the sun and not a separate entity like another planet. Also it has a moon itself so that should also go towards the fact that it should then be classed as a planet...

Its actual Size shouldn't really come into the equation. :blush:

Edited by Xeno, 07 August 2005 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

#8 FK47

FK47

o____0;

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Isn't a planet defined as a body of mass with it's own centre of gravity?

#9 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:39 PM

EVERY body of mass has it's own centre of gravity...the amount of mass dictates the amount of gravity (ergo the moon's gravity is less significant than Earth's, but it still has gravity nonetheless) Even black holes have mass. Just they're particularly dense.

Pluto should be kept as a planet. It's large enough, has Charon as a moon as Xeno says...

Just say there are 10 or more planets. Duh, how hard is that? :blush: :umad:

#10 Silent_Killa

Silent_Killa

Village Idiot

• Project Team
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:00 AM

The problem is there's no clear definition of what a planet is. Until there is, just leave it as a planet, no reason to change it.
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility." -Sigmund Freud
"Laws: We know what they are, and what they are worth! They are spider webs for the rich and mighty, steel chains for the poor and weak, fishing nets in the hands of the government." -Pierre Joseph Proudhon
"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm." -George Orwell

#11 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:53 AM

Good definitions I've seen for planet require the following things:
- Is roughly spherical due to self gravitation
- Is of mixed composition
- Has a defined core
That eliminates a lot of the small objects such as asteroids, meteors and comets. I believe then that Pluto would qualify as a planet still, but many of the other objects would not.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:01 AM

who cares about culture when youv found FACTS. the earth is not flat. the fables surrounding jesus/god are crap

the more planet we discover the larger the number of planets we have. if pluto explodes into peices than we are left with 8 planets. so what

#13 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

And that post clearly supports my dislike of guest posting, mostly due to the irrelevance of the first "paragraph", and the nonsensicality of the second.

Why should we be forced to redefine what a planet is based on this new find? Is it so bad to say we have 10 planets?

Personally I find it incredible that our sun is capable of keeping a planet that much further out in its orbit. =/

#14 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

Culture will adapt to more or less planets, which can especially be seen in the 1930s after the discovery of Pluto. In my opinion, Pluto should either not be considered a planet, or 2003 UB313 should be considered a planet too because it's either 8 or 10 at this point. That being said, Pluto is much closer to the sun, so it is really a manner of opinion which could possibly never be decided.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#15 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:56 AM

who cares about culture when youv found FACTS. the earth is not flat. the fables surrounding jesus/god are crap

the more planet we discover the larger the number of planets we have. if pluto explodes into peices than we are left with 8 planets. so what

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Care to share the magic enlightenment you've found that proves that religion is a crock? Note I said proof, not just your believe that it's bullshit.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#16 Ugbluz

Ugbluz
  • Project Team
  • 93 posts
  • Projects:Drums in the Deep, A Moria Faction mod for BFME. Currently: A beta tester and a new mapper

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

So what evidence makes you believe religion is crap? As far as I see it, you have two choices, to believe or not, and if you end up dying without believing and there is no God, ah well thats just great, but if you die and there IS, then what? your screwed, Lose lose situation. If however, you believe in God and you die and there is none, no big deal. If, there is though, and you die having believed, your saved. Win Win. Let the maths decide.
Posted Image

"They have a cave troll"
"Drums in the Deep" Beta tester and Mapper

Posted Image

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

Not to get into a religious debate here, but if you've spent your entire life believing in something that doesn't exist, then you've spent your entire life under the influence of a lie. That's a big deal IMO. I wouldn't be too chuffed about it.

#18 AdmiralGT

AdmiralGT

title available

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

So what evidence makes you believe religion is crap? As far as I see it, you have two choices, to believe or not, and if you end up dying without believing and there is no God, ah well thats just great, but if you die and there IS, then what? your screwed, Lose lose situation. If however, you believe in God and you die and there is none, no big deal. If, there is though, and you die having believed, your saved. Win Win. Let the maths decide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, the famous Pascal's Wager.

Not to get into a religious debate here, but if you've spent your entire life believing in something that doesn't exist, then you've spent your entire life under the influence of a lie. That's a big deal IMO. I wouldn't be too chuffed about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you find out they have lied? If there is nothing after we have died, then we will not know if it had all been a lie. It is only if there is something afterwards that we will know, and if there is something afterwards, then at least some part was true.

#19 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Basically who gives a crap if pluto is a planet or not. Its a planet isn't it? Its large enough, has a moon, orbits the sun. If this new thing also is a planet then we have 10 planets in our solar system, whats the big deal with that? Its a fact, you can't change facts because it doesn't go with certain human cultures, who cares, really?

I disagree, afterall its not belief in god that would decide what happens at death, its your actions throughout life. The problem with man is that we have free will and hence we choose not to follow gods will, that will always be the case. Its my personal belief, if god exists, at death you will have to choose between gods will and free will, however apparent, death infact is gods will as it isn't really a choice. My personal belief is if god exists heaven is living in freedom, free from all physical limitations (the body, earth, etc), and going to heaven. Hell is returning to earth to be imprisioned in these bodies, as a body is a prision, its a limitation and shows that human beings are actually powerless because anything that have done in their life means nothing to them at death.

#20 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

havent you noticed that god hates christians and not sceince? christians are so pitiful considering all the stupid and negitive things they have done. god created us so that we can become sceintist and build our lives from dirt. christians are nothing but plauges (remember the history of how christian came to be?). christians are hating god's own creation which was - to create humans to see where they would lead to. which is exactly what sceince is

all christian do is complain and ask god to open the doors of heaven for them. how shameful of you (who claims to be the closest to heaven) to try and aviod god's own plan for us

christians call sceince a form of evil? hahaha. christians are always finding new ways to make themself the dominant race. killing other believes and even trying to eliminate sceince (witchcraft) from the face of earth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users