• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

I have the vp6 codec and VirtualDub program, but i don't know how to view the vp6 files using them! could someone please help me out here?

#2 TKelly

TKelly

§§§§§§§§§§§§→↑←§§§§§§§§§§§

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Projects:The Hobbit Expansion Pack

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

Everybody is having that problem, EA has a special type of VP6, which makes them especially difficult to open
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum
Don't make fun of how low my graphics are, my computer doesn't even meet system requirements

#3 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

Everybody is having that problem, EA has a special type of VP6, which makes them especially difficult to open

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn you EA :p well can the game still read normal vp6 files as in ones that i make?

#4 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

I would think so, but I don't know.

What are you going to use to make them?
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum
Don't make fun of how low my graphics are, my computer doesn't even meet system requirements

#5 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

Wait a minute... You found a vp6 codec? Where? The one on T3A has been discontinued for some time...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

In reply to Gandalf:

No idea yet! Trust me I'll think of something!

In reply to Celeglin:

I think its http://www.on2.com/d...ass=vp6-decoder

#7 Kelso

Kelso

BFME Admin

• Project Team
  • 1,467 posts
  • Projects:Rise of Rome, Rise of Rome 2
  •  AWD and T3A Team Chamber Leader
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Designer: Rise of Rome 1 and 2

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

Rumors abound about being able to use the old .bik format from Generals. Has yet to be confirmed though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

Rumors abound about being able to use the old .bik format from Generals. Has yet to be confirmed though.

I believed that someone has tried that, and it didn'twork

But the codec download link works :rolleyes: , I'll see what I can do with it.
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#9 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

In reply to #8

Have you got anything yet? I've read the manual and configured the settings and all that but i still cant open the vp6 files in the movies folder.

Edited by EggyDan, 24 August 2005 - 12:15 PM.

#10 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:07 PM

Did you download VirtualDub Player?

EDIT: :rolleyes: No wonder it doesn't work, the installer files are invalid. I went to every possible website and downloaded the codec, but when I try to install the plug-in to VirtualDub, the .dll file isn't there, so I went into the installer file, and the .cab files, that contain the .dll files, were invalid! I checked all the different vp6 codecs, and they were the same. I just wrote an e-mail to the On2 website, and hopefully they'll e-mail me back with a solution.

Edited by Gandalf, 25 August 2005 - 10:43 PM.

Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#11 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for your persistence, Gandalf. Keep us posted :shiftee: .

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:57 AM

I am the VP6 Master :blush: !!! After much searching and manipulating installer files, I figured out how to make vp6 files, but not watch them :blush:

Download the K-Lite codec pack from Softpedia

Install what you would like, obviously the vp6 coder and decoder. After that go download the Virtual Dub player from the Virtual Dub Website

Extract it to a folder some where. Open up the folder and run "VirtualDub.exe". Open the file you want to convert. Click on...

File
Open Video File...

After it is open, you'll see two boxes, the one on the left is your original file, the one on the right is the new. Click on "Video" and then "Compression..."

A box will come up scroll down on the box on the left until you see

VP60 Simple Profile
VP61 Advanced Profile
VP62 Heightened Sharpness Profile

Click on one of those, not sure the differences, and if you click on configure, you can change it to fit the size you want it. After that click on "OK". Click "File" then "Save as AVI". Choose your filename, and then click save. It should work. Trying to open that with a video player will most likely not play your file. Place it in Data/Movies in your Battle for Middle Earth program files, and edit the ini files to open the file, or rename it to the file you want to replace.

If you have any questions reply, and I will also be giving updates of more things I find
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#13 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:34 AM

Even if not viewable by the player, are they viewable ingame? Have you tested by replacing it with a placecard file. Meaning a test file? Doesn't matter if it's just black if you can get a movie viewable ingame than do tell.

#14 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:35 PM

Only use

VP60 Simple Profile

and maybe

VP61 Advanced Profile

but the VP62 doesn't work. I'm about to test it got a vp6 file, looks identicle to ones in game, and I'll edit this post with the result

EDIT: :laugh: It didn't work, but would anybody like to help me with this, and we can figure out how to make it work twice as fast. And I shouldn't throw out the VP62 so fast. It could work. I tried VP60, but there are switches I can make.

But my evil wolves worked!

Posted Image

Edited by Gandalf, 30 August 2005 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#15 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:09 PM

Hello there, its me, the topic starter!

I've been playing around with the settings quite a bit now, I've tried all 3 vp6 versions (vp60, 61, 62) and calling the file intel or EALogo but the game just skips straight to the next intro movie instead. I also tried saving as an actual vp6, as in when you go to file, save as AVI, I changed the filetype to All Files and called it intel.vp6. It saved it as a vp6 file just like any other but the game still does not play it.

Edited by EggyDan, 30 August 2005 - 04:09 PM.

#16 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

Okay, I have two more facts, Only VP60 can be used, and when you use it, it can be watched by True Cast Player, of which the BFME files can not. Therefore you have to make the VP6 file unreadable to the TrueCast Player in order to make it readable by BFME.
Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#17 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:29 PM

OK, It is definetely only VP60, the BFME files said so themselves. And the answer lies in Hex Editing.

Posted Image
This image proves both of my statements above

(You'll have to zoom in)

Edited by Gandalf, 30 August 2005 - 04:31 PM.

Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#18 EggyDan

EggyDan

Eodynn

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

Also, I have noticed something more... you are correct about the vp60 but also I have found out that all the vp6 files that have _with_alpha on the end are different, they say vp61 in the hex editor instead.

Edited by EggyDan, 30 August 2005 - 05:26 PM.

#19 TKelly

TKelly

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

Ok, now we found something. I'm going to test out the video I hex edited and see if it works...

EDIT: :laugh: Stupid fatal error message, the hex editing didn't work, me and EggyDan need some help figuring out hex editing. That's all that we need before we can use them in game

Edited by Gandalf, 30 August 2005 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

My Modding Homepage
The Hobbit Forum

#20 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

What if you changed vp6 to bik and see if it play the bik version of the file. The data file needs to be the same length but the extension is the same length, maybe it'll work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users