thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

The Dawn of Skirmish Advanced AI Mod v1.3 is now live!

Download v1.3 Right Here!

Just download it from the above link, install it, it should uninstall previous version, run the newly created v1.3 shortcut (if you asked for it) on the desktop, when in the main menu it should say v1.3 on the top left side of the screen. Play a game or two or fifty and prepare for Skirmish AI not seen in DoW!

Don't forget the README.TXT that come with the installation - read it for our extensive changelog.

Thanks everyone on the team especially Larkin - this is HIS release with all the many weeks of hard work he put into it. Lots of trial/error/tweaking/beer drink'n..

Now, damn it, go and enjoy some serious AI ownage!

TuD.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#2 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

Wewt plus plus! Playing right this minute!

edit: Holy hell, the microing of the comps has improved soooo much. There's very few instances I can tell problems at (such as sometimes heroes won't enter melee range when they should, specificially vs dark reapers), but other than that it's an IMMENSE improvement. This is the best dancing code I've seen in any RTS by far. Give yourselves a pat on the back - you really deserve it.

edit II: OMG my first obs of an FFA and the orks got a squiggy as the SM marched on their fortified defenders. Pwned!

Lol the SM killed it using orbital bombardment, first time I've ever seen them use that.

Even with all of his expansions dead and a 20/20 SM army raping his base the orks managed to claim at least half of that army with prepared defenses and a mass of artillery. He almost beat them off. That was incredible.

Edited by Malkor, 26 August 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#3 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like an AWESOME battle! :shiftee:

#4 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

My first 1v1 ever. You can tell I'm a noob but I still managed to beat Orks on hardest after much figuring out how to play.

If it had been on any other setting than simply B+D I would have lost, but I wanted to actually have a chance.

Just so you know, warbosses really, really hurt.

Attached Files

Edited by Malkor, 26 August 2005 - 08:46 PM.

#5 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

Nice game, Malkor. Sorry, you are no noob :-)

AI is but it put up a decent fight. It even build a bigger generator.

#6 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

How am I not a noob? I got so lost during the big battles, units were idle all over the damn place, and I kept forgetting about my dreads and they had a habit of wandering around in the center of the map.

I kept wondering where my dreads were going. Seems I had unknowingly put the rally point to some area and forgot all about it.

Edited by Malkor, 26 August 2005 - 10:18 PM.

#7 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:29 PM

How am I not a noob? I got so lost during the big battles, units were idle all over the damn place, and I kept forgetting about my dreads and they had a habit of wandering around in the center of the map.

I kept wondering where my dreads were going. Seems I had unknowingly put the rally point to some area and forgot all about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you know how to hot key units...just hot key your dreads to a number...never lose them again! :p

fyi, my dreads are always hotkeyed to 0: the 0 Unit! :ohmy:

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

Just think that in every Ork AI there is a Larkin to hand your arse over and rotate! heheeh... Keep the feedback coming! Glad the launch went without a hitch. Silly Flypicture.. :p

#9 Tenormarine

Tenormarine
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:29 AM

Sounds impressive guys. Haven't had a chance to try but i sure will tonight. Will Relic implement these changes in the x-pack? How is WA going to affect the changes your team made? Espescially with the new units thrown in. I think they should bring you guys on bord to tweak the AI just right for the release of the x-pack. :p Surley you guys are doing an impressive job to take notice.

#10 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Tenormarine ! No company would use third-party work and try to sell it. That would be a big sue although we has the public would have a hard time claiming it as our own. :p Will WA impact the AI? Hope so and in a big way since we asked the devs to export more cool AI functions - we only hope they listened. No promises of course.. are they're ever? :ohmy:

#11 Tenormarine

Tenormarine
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

One more thing. Will the AI be as effective on hard setting? I know i'm having trouble even on the hard setting on your 1.2 version. I'm still unsure of tackling the harder setting just yet. Can't fathom what it might be like against a harder opponent.

#12 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:46 AM

Only difference between HARD and HARDER is the AI has a balanced resource bonus on HARDER (similar to human player). On HARD he has less a bonus so is thus retarded in that regard. HARD should provide a decent challenge but I prefer HARDER as its always the perfect balance with a skilled human player.

#13 Camfael

Camfael
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:06 AM

So damn good!
I just had my ass handed to me by preds! My game will get so much better when opponents actually get to vehicles fairly quickly. And the Micro is fantastic.

I :rolleyes: you crazy community contributers. Now a good game is NEVER far away. I can't wait until I play a multiplayer with my roommates. We're going to have to get much better.

Thanks Again!

Edited by Camfael, 28 August 2005 - 09:19 AM.

#14 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:39 PM

So I was watching this 4v4 right, and there were avatars and everything, and it went down to this final epic battle between the surving Orks and Elder vs SM, Orks, and two other Elder, and then...!

And then it crashed.

I looked through the log txt and found nothing interesting besides this.

1024 MBytes physical memory.
Write to location 00000001 caused an access violation.

Is there something else I can provide to see if this was the fault of the AI or a gnome in my HD?

Edited by Malkor, 28 August 2005 - 07:40 PM.

#15 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

Unfortunately no. Relic REALLY NEEDS to have a better system in place that logs when exactly caused a crash-to-desktop error. Hate having to debug those kinda errors. If you had a 4vs4 and it dies after a while thats nearly impossible to debug. Impossible. I actually had our v1.3 AI die on me but then had the same game and all was good.. go figure.

#16 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:24 PM

No small games have crashed, yet. In fact, this is the first time DoW has crashed at all since I fixed my pagefile.

#17 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:05 PM

It's most likely somewhere in the AI code. But how to fix a bug happening in 1 of 100 matches with no trace ? I had dozens of big battle without a crash.

#18 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

Heh I just had a battle, 3v3, as C/C/O v E/SM/SM.

I got the blood thirster about 4 times. First time ever having used him. He's soooo fun. My ally got one, too. I was chasing two space marines around the map. Oddly enough they had full morale until I got close enough to impale one and punt him into low orbit...

edit:

Best screenshot ever, btw. http://img146.images...lic000087vl.jpg

Caption it gogogogo

Edited by Malkor, 28 August 2005 - 09:54 PM.

#19 Guest_Torgaul_*

Guest_Torgaul_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:56 PM

Great mod guys. Very well done. :thumbsup:

#20 oozish

oozish
  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:50 AM

There's always negative stuff (adeptus modificatus thread) but I hope Larkin realizes how overwhelmingly positive this mod is. It's the greatest mod you could do, better than any new models blah blah blah.

You all have my utmost respect.

Cheers!

The Oozen Inc.,

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users