Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

;) ;) :lol: :p
yea they caught him in the end
Posted Image

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

As for the EMP issue, this was known to happen a bit in the original (un-modded) game. Especially noticeable in LAN play, mismatches often occur when the computer AI gets going. Between 10-15 of those damn EMP missile launchers firing per side and 5 particle cannons, the game engine has alot to deal with.

The EMP animation is the most complex animation in the game, and when a bunch of them start shooting at once, it overloads the game and causes it to mismatch. Sometimes the game itself blows out completely.

Don't blame Vanguard for this - there is nothing he can do about it. Every single mod I have ever played has had this issue, including ones that had no modification of the EMP Patriots at all. Honestly, while I would love to face the SW General in LAN play with my friends, I just dont use the SW general for computer AI. That is really the only way to stop the issue from happening.

However, it is possible to get through the game playing as SW General yourself. Just don't build ANY EMP Patriots and the SW general won't crash the game (within reason - dont come back to me if you built and launched 15 ICBM's at the same time but didnt build any EMP Patriots. Too many weapon launches at the same time will crash the game no matter what general you are. Don't believe me? Every try firing 10 nuclear missiles within 10 seconds of each other in a LAN game?).

As a final note, the other general that often has these issues is the Chinese Nuclear General. While he doesn't cause mismatchs nearly as much as the SW General, his effects usually cause the game to completely crash - the issue with him is that the radiation left behind by nearly every one of his weapons builds up over time, and your computer spends a TON of memory doing everything from remembering what radiation is where for how long to animating the "glowing and flowing" effects of the radiation itself to the damage it causes other units. This memory adds up over time, and eventually crashes the game.

I take this from personal experience and from stories my friends have told me/experienced with me during LAN play. Im sorry this was so long, but I hope I helped shed some light on the situation.

Excellent mod, by the way. This one has been on my computer for about 5 months and counting - a new record, for me anyways. Good work!

#23 Karlos Vandango

Karlos Vandango

I Post Every Second Of My Life

• Project Team
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Beta Tester Project Raptor
  •  The Posting Maniac

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

As for the EMP issue, this was known to happen a bit in the original (un-modded) game.  Especially noticeable in LAN play, mismatches often occur when the computer AI gets going.  Between 10-15 of those damn EMP missile launchers firing per side and 5 particle cannons, the game engine has alot to deal with.

The EMP animation is the most complex animation in the game, and when a bunch of them start shooting at once, it overloads the game and causes it to mismatch.  Sometimes the game itself blows out completely.

Don't blame Vanguard for this - there is nothing he can do about it.  Every single mod I have ever played has had this issue, including ones that had no modification of the EMP Patriots at all.  Honestly, while I would love to face the SW General in LAN play with my friends, I just dont use the SW general for computer AI.  That is really the only way to stop the issue from happening.

However, it is possible to get through the game playing as SW General yourself.  Just don't build ANY EMP Patriots and the SW general won't crash the game (within reason - dont come back to me if you built and launched 15 ICBM's at the same time but didnt build any EMP Patriots.  Too many weapon launches at the same time will crash the game no matter what general you are.  Don't believe me?  Every try firing 10 nuclear missiles within 10 seconds of each other in a LAN game?).

As a final note, the other general that often has these issues is the Chinese Nuclear General.  While he doesn't cause mismatchs nearly as much as the SW General, his effects usually cause the game to completely crash - the issue with him is that the radiation left behind by nearly every one of his weapons builds up over time, and your computer spends a TON of memory doing everything from remembering what radiation is where for how long to animating the "glowing and flowing" effects of the radiation itself to the damage it causes other units.  This memory adds up over time, and eventually crashes the game.

I take this from personal experience and from stories my friends have told me/experienced with me during LAN play.  Im sorry this was so long, but I hope I helped shed some light on the situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the game should deal with the particle effects uf ur comps run to slow it will idsable the particle effects for a sshort time if theres to much going on

and have u ever had 10 nukes hit the same place at the same time
trust me its funny bit slow tho
Posted Image

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

It doesn't disable the particle effects - I run my comp with the lowest possible graphics settings in absolutely everything, and no matter how laggy or slow the game gets, I still see every single effect.

It has to be the particle effects of the EMP Patriot. Another example: I had a mod downloaded a few months ago that contained a weapon called "EMP Cluster Bomb". When this weapon was activated, it would fly over its target and drop a whole bunch of tiny bomblets, EACH ONE with an EMP explosion. Take a guess as to what happened whenever I used this weapon in LAN play?

Yep. You guessed it. MISMATCH.

You are correct, Karl, in that the game DOES turn off certain particle effects when it gets overloaded. However, when a whole bunch of things fire and hit at once (Such as if the missiles shoot at one of your Supply Drop C-130's flying over the enemy's base), there isn't much the computer can do about it. The massive amounts of memory then required to show every single EMP hit results in a mismatch, or, in some cases, a game crash.

#25 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts
  • Projects:War Games Moderator (UNSC), Dragon Slayers Moderator (Link)
  •  You want a piece of me boy?

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:00 PM

how about changing the EMP effect so it looks like the shockwave from the Aurora Betas upgraded with Shock Bombs or whatever they're called? I highly doubt that would crash the game. Besides, teh electricity effect isn't exactly what an EMP looks like anyway. I would save that for some sort of weapon that electrocutes everything and kills everyone in the vehicles.
Posted Image

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

I agree, and I too have brought up this suggestion in the past.

I believe Vanguard told me that would be incredibly difficult to do.

#27 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

Vanguard, why would it be hard to re-skin the EMP effects?

BTW Guest who are you?

Edited by link.the.first, 03 September 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Guest_Guest_destroyer_*_*

Guest_Guest_destroyer_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:32 AM

well he isnt me. and in an online match we and a friend were testing and i only had 1 EMP patriot fire but the moment the EMP particle effect took place: MISMATCH! ...could it also have something to do with the new missile exhaust? (doubtfull) well if its the EMP particle effect i think its worth changeing it so it WOULDNT mismatch...

#29 crave22

crave22

sup dawg

• Project Team
  • 4,295 posts
  • Projects:Feeding Myself to a Koala
  •  Retired RPG Guild Staff

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

I haven't gotten any mismatch messages yet, but you should sign up as _detroyer_ or somethin' like that (unless you didn't feel like signing in to post). That way it's a helluva lot easier to prove it is or isn't you! :rolleyes:

Edited by crave22, 04 September 2005 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Karlos Vandango

Karlos Vandango

• Project Team
  • 2,139 posts
  •  The Posting Maniac

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

it isnt the emp effect casue that caused no mismatches
vangaurd thinks its the weapon modifcation hes made to(i think)
Posted Image

#31 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

but he said he restored the old weapon

besides it sounds like it happens all the time not just on this mod

I wouldn't really know tho becasue I dont play online
Posted Image

#32 Bob

Bob

Marine Corps Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV)

• Project Team
  • 1,252 posts
  • Projects:Project Raptor, ZH Maps
  •  "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

... I wouldn't really know tho becasue I dont play online

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. [I should say almost never]

Edited by Bob, 04 September 2005 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

- Bob

Posted Image

#33 Guest_Guest_destroyer_*_*

• Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

but he said he restored the old weapon

besides it sounds like it happens all the time not just on this mod

I wouldn't really know tho becasue I dont play online

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well the EMP patriots have NEVER caused ANY mismatchs for me online in other mods or on regular zero hour... and i play online alot so its probably some change vanguard made to it.

#34 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

Here's an idea to fix this: Remove the EMP patriot from the game, reinsert the old one with the exact same code it used to have, and replace it with the new model.
Posted Image

#35 Karlos Vandango

Karlos Vandango

• Project Team
  • 2,139 posts
  •  The Posting Maniac

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

no casue i like the popup patroit
Posted Image

#36 link.the.first

link.the.first

Supreme commander

• Project Team
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

thats what i mean by replace it with the new model the popup
Posted Image

#37 Guest_Guest_destroyer_*_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:26 AM

the militias war factory gun also makes mismatchs... i just hope both the patriot and war fac gun are fixed in pr 7.0

#38 Karlos Vandango

Karlos Vandango

• Project Team
  • 2,139 posts
  •  The Posting Maniac

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:17 PM

that happened in pr 5.0 as well
Posted Image

#39 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

I am the guest that has posted before. Ive posted here many times, but never bothered to actually make an account (Im the same person who posted the proof that yes, an airliner DID hit the pentagon (the guy just before Vanguard told us how overlord got pwned? That's me!)

Anyways, the mismatch errors are not specific to this mod. Every mod I have ever played, and even the original game to an extent, has had mismatch issues when playing as the SW general. Again, there is nothing Vanguard can do about this - its simply not possible to fix without some massively heavy coding.

#40 Vanguard

Vanguard

Modding Guru

• Hosted
  • 2,139 posts
  • Projects:Project Raptor
  •  Stand Down Sir!

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, I need to make a seperate object for the WF gun, so that instead of being the war factory, it's a totally seperate object. and yeah I'll take the old code for the EMP Patriot and then replace my code, and then add my model code too.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

- Vanguard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users