HaloGen Needs a BFME Coder

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hi, this is Dispraiser of Halogen Mod, a Halo mod for Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. Before BfME was released, we decided to make a BfME version as well. However, the games are not the same at all, and allow for very different battlefields. In Halogen ZH, our tech tree is developed in conventional CnC style, with conventional CnC "who has more tanks" type of battle. There's a little more thought that goes into it, but ultimatly you end up with massive armies hitting eachother until one drops. That's cool for ZH, but BFME allows for a LOT more interesting battles.

One of the ideas we batted around for ZH was to make the battles smaller scale, I always said it was to make losing a tank less of an "oh well" type of event, and more of an "oh shit" on the scale of losing a hero in BfME. With the ZH version, though, for whatever reasons, we decided to go to the more conventional CnC style. With the BfME version, we plan to revive that old idea. Infantry are very cheap, to the point where they are effective in combat versus tanks, something you did not see in the original Generals. BfME is much more capable of that...

We have also seen that the emotion engine BfME uses would be much better suited for showing the emotions of the unique enemies you face in Halo than CnC. It would be very nice to have Grunts running in terror from armies of Marines, once the elder warrior Elites fall. Or to see Marines fighting bravely turn tail and run away as Hunters or Wraiths show up.

Another benefit of BfME we'd like to use is squad and formation abilities. The technology of Halo, like Plasma Shields could make for some very interesting formations. A screen of Jackals protecting a group of Brutes or Elites would be incredible.

Now, to anyone who has read this far and is interested in the mod, understand that while we are new to the BfME community, we are not a new mod. We plan to use the same art assets as the ZH version, because we actually produced them at a quality both technically and artisticly that was aboev the standard ZH set, and very accurate to Halo. There is no compelling reason to recreate them. While the models will be the same, though, the gameplay will be completely different, and new units will be introduced, and buildings will function completely different. This is NOT a simple port. Treat it as you would a BfME mod that had all of its art assets nearly finished.

Anyways, all we need to make the BfME version work is a coder, since the art assets are mostly completed. We do have an experienced ZH coder, who is doing some amazing things with the SAGE engine. I'm no coder, but I'd imagine with some of your questions he might be able to help.

Here's a few shots, just to add a little to idea of what we do, here's a few screenshots from the ZH version of the game. We would be using most of the same models for both versions, though the gameplay and code will be very distinct.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

I'd love to make this BfME version work, but we cannot do it without a skilled coder. Email me at Dispraiser@gmail.com or post a reply in here if you can help out.

#2 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:55 AM

I'd love to help out but I don't have time to do it, becuz of school, Hobbit mod, BHD.
so sry but the best of luck to yah all.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#3 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for pinning this, and the reply. If you're especially good with code and just don't have the time, we do have a coder applicant that (as I understand, from what he tells me) is a little bit of a newbie. He knows what he's doing, but he's learning as he goes, and to include some of the nicer features, he could probably use some pointers for specific problems.

#4 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:14 AM

I am very busy right now with school, my own mods, and other activities. But I don't want to see this mod dissapear... so if you haven't gotten someone in a few days, let me know and I'll see how I can help.

EDIT: I'd be happy to give pointers or suggestions on how to code certain things if you need it.

-GothmogtheOrc

Edited by GothmogtheOrc, 04 September 2005 - 03:16 AM.

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#5 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts
  • Projects:Too many to name.
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:04 AM

Yeah ill give pointers to. C&C and bfme are coded the same wont be hard to transfer at all.

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

Yeah ill give pointers to. C&C and bfme are coded the same wont be hard to transfer at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no they can acctually copy most of the code, only edit a bit. easy as a tomato.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#7 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:22 AM

We made it a little harder by deciding against a straightforward port. The Tech Trees are VERY different.

Can we make airfields work like Generals, though? That'd help.

#8 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

Im geussing you mean when airplanes automatically come back to refuel? no thats not in bfme

#9 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:13 PM

Im geussing you mean when airplanes automatically come back to refuel? no thats not in bfme

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also think he mean that the planes ARE stationared at the AIRPORT. Don't know if its possible unless you make it a horde contain. That would maybe work

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#10 {IP}Gil-Galad

{IP}Gil-Galad

ClickerMonkey

• Hosted
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

ooo like be there to begin with? you can do that like a seige ladder has it or grond crew just give em a crew but make sure they can separate

#11 ForsakenOutcast

ForsakenOutcast
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Projects:Coding Halogen for BFME

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:12 AM

hi I am that applicant thats coding Halogen. I'm a bit of a newbie at this so i could use as much adivce as possible. Thats a good idea on the siege ladder crew. But how would it work?

#12 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:59 AM

Is BfME rigging so simmilar to Generals that I could use the rigging we have set up already?

#13 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, that part hasn't changed.

#14 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:08 AM

How bout the combat, how everything is more expensive and valuable, think that'll be fun?

#15 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

How bout the combat, how everything is more expensive and valuable, think that'll be fun?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

probably :sleep:

And how's this mod commin'? great? is it much worked on?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#16 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:10 AM

ZH mod is rolling along. BFME is up to forsaken. Apparently he doesn't know what he's doing with particles... So... Weakly?

#17 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:13 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does place more importance on them. So they are less cannon fodder and more a valued resource that needs to be retreated when causlties are too high.

Dispraiser, just register at this point and be done with it. :D

#18 Guest_Guest_Dispraiser_*_*

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

I am registered! There is a dispraiser on here, but I can't guess my password, and I'm not sure what email account it plugs up to. If you're willing to take my word for it, and change the email address over to Dispraiser@gmail.com, that'd be awesome. I really doubt that the Dispraiser that registered here was a victim of a 2 and a half year conspiracy to take his online name by having me register under the same one...

I'm so damned forgetful.

#19 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:24 AM

I've changed it to your gmail account.

#20 Dispraiser

Dispraiser
  • New Members