Photo

creating custom skins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:35 PM

:p Ok, this is somewhat complex question so here we go. I have used Killaz tuts to make the model for a unit. Done and looking fair. I used his tut to apply the skin. I found he used existing skin from crusader. Nice, but I need to know what to do to how to create an original skin. I don't mean the artwork. I can do that.

But I need to know what needs to be done to the model to get it ready for the skin. I've looked at the dds files and see skins out the wazoo. Obviously each face is laid out. When I load the dds file Adobe warns me to also save the MIT whatever when resaving to keep the integrity...if I create a skin, how do I map the image so that Renx knows how to isolate what is what side? Do I need to create MIT map also? Is it like cameo mapper where you can define where one image starts and ends?

ewwww.... ok last, does anyone know how to understand what skin belongs to what W3D file without having to look at every one and then try to figure out by "name" which it belongs to?

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:30 PM

Easiest way I can suggest is to read the Basic Skinning tutorial at GenDev. That explains how you create the map and such. Other than that, just look around for tutorials on skinning, specifically UV mapping.
:p
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:12 PM

OK, I geuss you're using Photoshop? (good choice anyway).

When you import the dds and it says display mip maps.... say no, give it the finger and continue on to the skin.

When you save, use the normal export settings (generate mip map should be highlighted by default). Just paint within the colours (kind of like being 5 again).

Alternatively, you can be #4®|)<0®3 ... load the w3d file in RenX and remap it... as long as the model name is kept the same it should be fine0r.

#4 the_kid

the_kid

L337 Pwnerer of N00bs

• Project Team
  • 1,734 posts
  • Projects:freelancing between what interests me
  •  + TRIPLEhelix

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:03 AM

Answering your question of how renx knows what part of your skin to use where, you have to unwrap it... It can be a long boring process, or it could be pretty quick depending on your skill, and you poly count. I personally read a whole much of skinning tutorials, then made a tank that was litterally 4 boxes and a barrel, then spent the time to skin that with a lame skin I made in photoshop.

After that it was all easy for me, I made a new tank, then unwrapped it to the crusaders skin in about an hour.

good luck

#5 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:15 AM

Ok good I have a starting point. UV mapping seems to be the key. Couldn't find skinning tut yet on Gendev. It's prob hiding on me. I was suprised, I asked this question directly to a few people and some replied like"how dare you ask me such a noob question" kinda answer. I thought that was the point of coming here. Anyway I suppose not everybody is friendly.

Sounds like I better start by reskinning first even thought I didn't want to. Never as easy as it first appears huh? :p

#6 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:01 AM

I found the skinning tut, then I found proclone skinning tut. He pretty much answered my questions, ty mastermind for the direction and ty people for guiding me through this. I think I will have my first model and skin finished within a few days. But then boning... :urg: the bs never seems to end. :p

#7 Guest_FS_*

Guest_FS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:49 PM

just curious i edit the infantry tga files, somehow i lost the remap parts... how the hell that happened? does the same rules(only red shades) apply for remap parts like voxels files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users